LegacyGT.com

Trading Camry

King276

It won't be fast enough to warrent losing the 6000$ minimum you will lose when you consider trade in value loss. Not worth it for a gain in MT and 0 gain in horsepower. You want a faster car, buy a V6

The 2.5i is a very capable car.

the 2.5i is pretty uninspiring too :]

DON"T DO IT. THE LEGACY IS SLOWER THAN THE CAMRY ON 2.5i. IF U GETTING A LGT THAT WOULD BE DIFFERENT. DON'T WASTER YOUR TIME AND MONEY. STOP DRIVING FAST AND CUTTING PEOPLE OFF LEFT AND RIGHT AND YOU WONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT POWER. :)

No.

If you spend less time on straights than you probably do, you'll know why I say that.

Having driven many friends' camrys of all generations, I just have two words for tonight: Driving dynamics.

The biggest issue I have with the Camry is the transmission. I figure the MT would give me the control I want along with the AWD.

Plus I'm only going to make the switch if the prices work for me.

I came from a 6 cyl AT Camry - wife got the OBW and, I got the old car. Kept it for quite a few years and then traded for a 2.5i.

The Camry was a bulky boat with an engine that could accelerate fine but loved to drink oil - a quart a month / 300 miles.

The 2.5i is smaller obviously more nimble. Slightly slower for sure but not a threat to me, other drivers or baby seals & bunnys. I'd love a GT but, budget kept me practical.

The only place the Camry had it over the Legacy IMHO was it could fit 5 people, at best a Legacy can fit 4.5.

Definitely take the Legacy over the Camry. Long story short, I had a Legacy and loved it, when it died I ended up with a Camry. I hated the Camry, despite trying to keep an open mind and force myself to like it. I just felt like I was driving the automotive equivalent of Top 40 pop music, something designed to appeal to the masses, but lacking any real personality. The Camry eventually quit on me, and while I wasn't happy to have another dead vehicle and thus no trade in, at least I ended up back in a Legacy. It's good to be back!

• 2 weeks later...

I've posted similar things in the past, but here's my take on the Legacy:

What to choose GT vs NA and Manual vs Auto

- I went with the GT. While it certainly eats a lot of gas, the overall cost/year just isn't enough money for me to worry about it. I'd rather spend a few extra hundred and have a car I really love. Don't forget the extra expense of premium fuel and synthetic oil though! I learned my lesson from my last car when I passed on the supercharged option. (Grand Prix GT instead of the GTP).

- If I bought again, I'd definitely go with a 5MT. I chose the automatic because traffic is pretty terrible in my area, and I spend a ton of time in stop-and-go. Well, basically, that's all I do. However, with these smaller displacement engines, the auto steals a lot of the power. As far as automatics go, it's quite good though, and going Stage I helped a lot.

General Impressions

- No one knows what the hell the car is. A classic conversation: "What kind of car do you have?" Me: "A legacy GT". Them: "Oh, ok (blank stare)". Me: "It's like a WRX, with all the same power, but doesn't look like a gay boy racer car. Almost 300hp, AWD, and a turbo". Them: "Ooooh."

- This is my first turbo car, and while it can be fun to drive, it really doesn't make a lot of sense in stop and go traffic. The turbo starts spooling up as you pick up speed, and then you're immediately getting on the brakes. It just feels like you're always bouncing around between 0 power and tons of power. Also, in passing, I kind of hate the 1/2 second lag before the car bursts forward. I hit the damn gas - just GO! My next car will definitely have more displacement. All of this said, it's really damn fun to feel the kick of the turbo when you have some open road to let loose.

- Build quality seems pretty good. I really like the interior - at night people have asked me if it was a BMW. It's a very simple design, which means that there's less stuff to break. I'm told even the window motors don't use normal regulators, so they are much more reliable.

- Insurance is pretty reasonable. I pay around $330/6 months ( 28 y/o male with a fairly clean record, $500 deductible).

You should buy this car IF:

- you need AWD in your area. If not, just get a car with RWD and save money on the gas mileage

- you want a reliable car. If you go with the GT/turbo however, you're definitely introducing more risk, especially if you mod.

- you like modding cars - definitely go with the GT

- you want a good bang-for-the-buck car - you can get used vehicles under $15k that once cost $30k only a few years old.

You should NOT buy this car if:

- you care about image or looks - it's a very bland car and noone knows what it is. Most people do NOT consider it a luxury/nice car. It doesn't have the brand appeal of BMW/lexus/infiniti/etc.

- you want a rally-like car that handles amazingly. This car has a lot of body roll. I haven't tried adding sway bars yet which is supposed to help, but it's definitely a bigger softer car than a WRX

- you want ridiculously fast 1/4 mile times or power in the > 60mph range. This car excels at 0-60 times but starts choking up top big time.

Hope that helps - happy to answer any questions!

Thanks for the info.

Right now, I'm working on getting the fiance to see the Legacy. I think I'll get the 2.5SE though. The price seems reasonable, and it still is fun.

I'm not one to care for the image. The less people know about what I drive the better. This will probably be my last new car for a while. Getting married.

Archived