LegacyGT.com

Destroyed two tires today and maybe a rim

CapnJack

Well, the summer tires got put back on a bit early this year. Tonight on my way home, I was passing someone on interstate 90 and before I knew it, my head hit the roof of the car from the massive hole I hit. I didn't even see it or have time to say "this is going to hurt". I pulled off the highway and found a bulge about the size of a softball on the front tire and one about the size of a baseball on the rear. The rim "appears" to be intact, but will have the dealer check it. In the interm, I bought a set of G-Racing Imari wheels for $400 and put the stock summer tires back on. I ended up destroying two Dunlop Wintersport M3s (had about 7,000 miles on them). Car goes into the dealer tomorrow for an alignment and to check for suspension damage. Seems to drive straight at this point.

I called the State Patrol and they would not do a report for me, only told me they would come out and look at the hole. Thanks...

Called the insurance company and filed a claim as well. We'll see what the total damage is on Friday...:mad:

True, but I have two almost new Wintersport M3s and I can't find replacements for the ones that got damaged today. It's almost like they are discontinued... I really don't want to have to buy four snows again next year. :(

I would like to know how the laws protect city/state DOTs from negligence in these matters. They should be liable for the damage IMO. Not that I'm for tons of lawsuits, but many of these holes go unfixed for years causing broken windshields from rocks, bent wheels, tires, suspension, etc. And the morons who are allowed to simply place a 2" steel plate on the road over a hole and call it quits for the day really chap my hide. Hit that at the speed limit and good luck.

I would like to know how the laws protect city/state DOTs from negligence in these matters. They should be liable for the damage IMO. Not that I'm for tons of lawsuits, but many of these holes go unfixed for years causing broken windshields from rocks, bent wheels, tires, suspension, etc. And the morons who are allowed to simply place a 2" steel plate on the road over a hole and call it quits for the day really chap my hide. Hit that at the speed limit and good luck.

I feel the same way. They don't spread salt on the roads here, they spread tiny boulders. I hope the insurance companies are going after the state for these things. Doyle keeps taking money away from the funds to fix roads here in WI and now he wants to add a "wheel tax" to start a new account. To me this is boardering on negligence. My boss was telling me four girls hit a pot hole going the speed limit, lost control and hit a tree near where he lives. One of the girls will be in the hospital for up to six months with a broken neck. I think if I would have hit that on my motorcycle, I could have been killed. One always assumes the roads are safe given that there could be wildlife, debris from other cars, etc. But when the road dissappears when you are going 70mph, that is not something I would expect, especially after the previous 10 miles of road were brand new. I guess the budget ran out for the portion after that.

Anyway, more news on the car.

I had a four wheel alignment done yesterday and all appears to be ok. The insurance company is paying me for four new tires(the joys of AWD), two remanufactured rims, the cost to mount and balance them, and the alignment.

Archived