LegacyGT.com

high pitched sqeaking sound

hey guys, tonight when driving home from work I heard a high pitched sqeaking sound as i was accelerating, it almost sounded as if my alternator belt was on too tight, the car is a 09 with 11,000 miles on it and i've had it for 3 weeks now, on my way home i stopped in a 7 eleven parking lot just to check things out, when i made a left turn into the parking lot i heard a grinding sound almost like you would when your brake pads are down to their sensors. when i have the car stopped and turned off i hear a clank sound as if something dropped from the car, when i get out of the car i look under the chasis to make sure nothing fell, nothing there, then i checked my tires to make sure i wasn't riding on a flat, negative so far, i opened the hood to check to see if there was any thing burning inside, negative again. after i checked everything i got back in and continued driving, before i did i noticed i did have some snow build up in my wheel wells so they could of been the grinding sound i had, i didn't hear the grinding sound after that, doubtful but who knows. I asked my dad about the grinding he thinks it was the power steering. But back to the sqeaking sound, could this be from a new belt(its been on for 11k now) or possibly the cold weather we've had up here in new jersey that past 2 days, my car was sitting outside turned off for over 14 hours in 19 degree weather. I'm probably going to take it to a dealer tomorrow to have them look at it, any ideas?

Cannot say I have much exp. with cold weather's effects on the car, but I did notice today upon cold startup that there was a high pitched squeaking sound from the engine bay area. It was a very faint squeaking sound, but it was definitely there. After driving it to run errands for about ~40 minutes, the sound disappeared when I came out of the car in the garage.

Then again, this is in a region that's ~40 degrees warmer than yours. Hope others will chime in--

Cannot say I have much exp. with cold weather's effects on the car, but I did notice today upon cold startup that there was a high pitched squeaking sound from the engine bay area. It was a very faint squeaking sound, but it was definitely there. After driving it to run errands for about ~40 minutes, the sound disappeared when I came out of the car in the garage.

Then again, this is in a region that's ~40 degrees warmer than yours. Hope others will chime in--

i concur.... mine is doing that too.. and only during the cold starts.

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

hey guys, tonight when driving home from work I heard a high pitched sqeaking sound as i was accelerating, it almost sounded as if my alternator belt was on too tight, the car is a 09 with 11,000 miles on it and i've had it for 3 weeks now, on my way home i stopped in a 7 eleven parking lot just to check things out, when i made a left turn into the parking lot i heard a grinding sound almost like you would when your brake pads are down to their sensors. when i have the car stopped and turned off i hear a clank sound as if something dropped from the car, when i get out of the car i look under the chasis to make sure nothing fell, nothing there, then i checked my tires to make sure i wasn't riding on a flat, negative so far, i opened the hood to check to see if there was any thing burning inside, negative again. after i checked everything i got back in and continued driving, before i did i noticed i did have some snow build up in my wheel wells so they could of been the grinding sound i had, i didn't hear the grinding sound after that, doubtful but who knows. I asked my dad about the grinding he thinks it was the power steering. But back to the sqeaking sound, could this be from a new belt(its been on for 11k now) or possibly the cold weather we've had up here in new jersey that past 2 days, my car was sitting outside turned off for over 14 hours in 19 degree weather. I'm probably going to take it to a dealer tomorrow to have them look at it, any ideas?

Take it back to the dealer its under warranty 09 shouldn't sound that bad yet :eek: or ever

more wheel bearing issues? mine did the squealing after warming up and running (the wheels/bearing) for a bit. only had 10K on it too. as far as hearing the clunk, if you played in some frozen precip the night before, and it had chance to freeze to the wheel well, you'd feel this play in the steering wheel. id check it out no doubt being that new? GL

Archived