2009 335i xDrive vs 2008 LGT... my review

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good try

But I'd say if you were to do a real review

a spec b 6 speed VS 335xi would be a much fairer review

Also, Subaru has a far superior AWD system implanted in the DNA then BMW

This wasn't even mentioned, even though it's one of the best features of a SUBARU.

As I remember my ex gf had an 2004 330xi.

And on that thing

AWD = Garbage.

AS said earlier, GL if anything breaks on it, or going past 100K.

Car looks nice, but not my style.

I'd like to see a spec B VS 335Xi on a track

Now that will be a fun comp 2 watch!

agreed on the AWD thing, between subaru AWD, BMW X-drive, Audi Quattro, Lexus 4WD and Honda AWD...Subaru takes the cake

but to each their own, perhaps its the fact that he's driving a BMW now gives him this Bias.

The LGT is punching way above its weight against the BMW.

I think my LGT is a solid car, but there is no question the 335 has more tech, better refinement and is an all around better driver. BMW makes the best driving cars on the road. Nothing Subaru makes comes close.

And 3 series reliability is also very good, so no this argument doesn't hold water.

However, I do prefer RWD BMW models over AWD models. The driving dynamics are much better.

Guest heightsgtltd
Good try

But I'd say if you were to do a real review

a spec b 6 speed VS 335xi would be a much fairer review

Also, Subaru has a far superior AWD system implanted in the DNA then BMW

This wasn't even mentioned, even though it's one of the best features of a SUBARU.

As I remember my ex gf had an 2004 330xi.

And on that thing

AWD = Garbage.

AS said earlier, GL if anything breaks on it, or going past 100K.

Car looks nice, but not my style.

I'd like to see a spec B VS 335Xi on a track

Now that will be a fun comp 2 watch!

Oh yea, if it was a SpecB then the review would have come out entirely different :lol::rolleyes:

Actually, I think it was a really fair review devoid of fanboiism on either side.

Let's face it, if most people could comfortable spend 46K on a car they would not be buying an LGT even though it is a really good car.

For me, I am going to wait a couple years and then think about picking up a pre-owned M3 sedan :)

Oh yea, if it was a SpecB then the review would have come out entirely different :lol::rolleyes:

Actually, I think it was a really fair review devoid of fanboiism on either side.

Let's face it, if most people could comfortable spend 46K on a car they would not be buying an LGT even though it is a really good car.

For me, I am going to wait a couple years and then think about picking up a pre-owned M3 sedan :)

+1111

I cant disagree with any of this statement.

or add to it.. :D

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

just wont be in the same car. but lets face it, you can only have 1 set of tires at once so you cant have both (crap weather capable and sweet handling) at the same time.

not unless you live hawaii, well F1s at least. it does rain sometimes

Just for a reality check:

A 335xi 6-speed was taken against an Evo and STI on several tracks by different rags. It either was a dead heat or the BMW won by a tad. And that is with open diffs.

The current raved about 2009 WRX no longer has a rear LSD. Hmm.

Regarding the LGT AWD system being superior: I totally agree from an engineering standpoint. From a real world standpoint, the LGT AWD system is far more "clunky" to deal with on a day to day basis in combination with the manual transmission, than the BMW AWD system.

Realize that the extra 17k does, in fact, go somewhere. Not saying the BMW is a better value, just that some people need a reality check.

I dont beleive the rags especially car and driver they are biggest BMW fanbois ever to roam the earth... They would put a retarded monkey in the drivers seat of an EVO rather than see the BMW lose. :lol:

After all if BMW pulled their sponsorship the budget of the magazine would be cut 3/4 as would the size of the magazine :lol:

yup.. it goes somewhere alright..

into someone's pocket.

I love BMWs but I would never buy a new one because of the ridiculous cost. They are slightly above average with a well above average price.

Before my LGT.. I would disagree with that statement and say "you have to pay to play" but.. the LGT blows that theory out of the water like fishing with dynamite.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Guest heightsgtltd
Rao doesn't fully appreciate how much of a difference a SpecB would make in a 335i Legacy comparison :rolleyes:

A 335xi 6-speed was taken against an Evo and STI on several tracks by different rags. It either was a dead heat or the BMW won by a tad. And that is with open diffs.

The current raved about 2009 WRX no longer has a rear LSD. Hmm.

Regarding the LGT AWD system being superior: I totally agree from an engineering standpoint. From a real world standpoint, the LGT AWD system is far more "clunky" to deal with on a day to day basis in combination with the manual transmission, than the BMW AWD system.

Realize that the extra 17k does, in fact, go somewhere. Not saying the BMW is a better value, just that some people need a reality check.

If i remember correctly the magazine article i was reading clearly stated that both the STi and the evo had an LSD in the back, and some variation of that in the front.... Maybe I was reading an older magazine

If I were to spend $46k on a 3800 lb sedan. It wouldn't be a 335XI;)

Link??

I remember one automobile mag comparo but it was weird. In the article the claimed the 335XI was faster in daily driving but the EVO and STI were faster in a straight line. Then in the data panel they had the 335XI being faster from a standing start(0-60, 0-100, 0-120) then both the EVO and STI. However, the 30-70 MPH passing power test the 335XI was 1.5s seconds slower to 70MPH then the EVO or STI.

:confused:

Also, the EVO and STI they had were running quarter mile times in the low 14s @ 100 mph.

I just dismissed that article completely...

Heres a 135 vs evo vs sti link with 2 drivers and each of their times around one track: http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2008/08/evo-sti-135-lap.html

Here's the automobile mag test results for 335xi vs Evo vs Sti:

Test results (BMW 335xi - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR - Subaru Impreza WRX STI)

0-60 mph (sec): 5.0 - 5.1 - 5.4

0-100 mph (sec): 12.7 - 14.0 - 14.0

0-120 mph (sec): 19.2 - 22.7 - 22.5

30-70 mph passing (sec): 7.2 - 5.9 - 6.2

1/4-mile (sec @ mph): 13.7 @ 104 - 14.0 @ 100 - 14.0 @ 100

70-0 mph braking (ft): 161 - 160 - 159

Cornering L/R (g): .91/.95 - 1.03/1.03 - .96/.95

According to well-known german car mag Autozeitung, (which, if you see my earlier post, just reviewed the 335i xdrive against the S4 and EVO), the 335i xdrive got better lap times than the rwd 335i on two separate occasions. It's also faster than an e60 M5 and an e46 m3, and a Porsche Carrera... among many others... but slower than an EVO X MR and the new S4.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php?page_id=track&track=24&filter1=true&filter2=true&filter3=true&filter4=false

^^^Yep... That was it... Looks like a was off on my assertion that they said the EVO and STI were faster in a straight line then the 335XI in the article but contradicted themselves.

From a standing start, the 3-series was merely a bit quicker than the other two cars, but in real-world driving it's significantly faster. The Evo's engine slowly comes alive from 3000 rpm; the STI's wakes up suddenly at 4000 rpm. The BMW, however, is always alert, achieving peak boost (and peak torque) at 1400 rpm - and it pulls hard all the way to 7000 rpm.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/0804_2008_bmw_335xi/2008_mitsubishi_lancer_evo.html

Having driven a bunch of N54 engined cars in various state of tunes. Power falls flat on its face around 5.5k rpm.

I think the 1 series has the potential to be a good performance car. I haven't heard or seen enough in real action to give you an opinion on their real world performance.

According to well-known german car mag Autozeitung, (which, if you see my earlier post, just reviewed the 335i xdrive against the S4 and EVO), the 335i xdrive got better lap times than the rwd 335i on two separate occasions. It's also faster than an e60 M5 and an e46 m3, and a Porsche Carrera... among many others... but slower than an EVO X MR and the new S4.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php?page_id=track&track=24&filter1=true&filter2=true&filter3=true&filter4=false

I bit apples to oranges, to compare lap times from different days. I'm not sure if a magazine would go all out to make sure that the have the ultimate lap time. Anyways, the S4 and EVO beat the 335XI by 1.5s(they did that laps the same day) on the Autozeitung track. Which is a lot for not being that long of a circuit.

AutoZeitung, did a comparo of the S5 versus the 335i coupe. The S5 was one second faster to 200 km/h then the 335i! All is not right in the deutschland.:lol: Apparently, they had exact laptime but AutoZeitung choose the S5 over the 335i coupe:spin:

S5 is sexy:cool:

Archived