LegacyGT.com

2009 335i xDrive vs 2008 LGT... my review

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did anybody know that the BMW 335xi has OPEN front AND rear differentials..... i dont understand how such an expensive car cant even have an LSD in the back......

seriously WTF ?!?!

^Seriously though 99 percent of owners will never notice the difference in 99 percent of scenarios...

If your gonna push it hard on the track and hang a rear wheel out then maybe... Your gonna have one wheel making alot of rukus and the other doing nothing.

I cant imagine any BMW owner taking a 335xi off road... so...

i thought vishnu's dyno was super happy. like beyond regular happy.

Never used to be, they always read super ultra low... But then somewhere in the last few years they put a super happy "dynojet" correction factor on it cause the competition was posting higher numbers than they were.

thanks... don't get me wrong guys, I loved the legacy... and for the price it is a steal.

And I am tempted to get a jb3 chip- that gives the 335i another 80whp - up to 350whp for only a few hundred $. But I won't risk the warranty ... and it's plenty fast as is.

You can get a Dinan upgrade from the dealer and remain in warranty and put down some serious power. I think it's around $2k.

"Dinan announces their new BMW 335i warranty covered software reprogram that delivers a stunning 384 horsepower at 5700 rpm and 421 lb-ft torque at 4300 rpm!"

N54 drives more like a diesel engine then a gasoline engine. Nice power until about 5k and then falls flat on its face. No turbo swap options :icon_cry:

:lol: -> Vishnu power figures

I'm still waiting for the video where he claimed a PROcede 135i beat a "tuned" Gallardo. The secret was that Shiv tuned the Gallardo to use half its cylinders:lol:

Congrats on the purchase and I'm happy that you enjoy your car:)

^Seriously though 99 percent of owners will never notice the difference in 99 percent of scenarios...

If your gonna push it hard on the track and hang a rear wheel out then maybe... Your gonna have one wheel making alot of rukus and the other doing nothing.

I cant imagine any BMW owner taking a 335xi off road... so...

While i do agree with that, I still think its cheap on BMWs part. Good point with no bmw owners ever noticing :lol:

The 3.0 liter twin turbo deffinetley has a more consistent, and predictible power band as all bmws do, However my mommies stock 335 convertible doesnt seem like it has too much of an advantage on my stg 2 especially at lower speeds, I dont really think the engine responds as well as people think, say all over the rpm spectrum, it deffinitley doesnt have turbo lag, but it doesnt really have neck breaking turbo pickup either, and it takes until at least 3400k to start wailing, but once you do there is no stopping it. though the convertible does weigh in at over 2 tonnes. with 9 inch rubber in the back and 8 in the front it is probly the most solid planted feel of any car iver driven, including my daddys old 645. P.S check out the vishnu Procede chip, and exaust, gives you a healthy 390 rwhp, and somewhere around 500 ft/lbs, it would be nice if they would put the m differential on that thing though or any differential for that matter.

Is your mom's convertible (which weighs, as you pointed out, damn near 2 tons) an automatic? Seriously, the power delivery between the automatic and manual is ridiculously different for some reason. It's a fine automatic too.

One thing about the 335i, and I consider it a bit of a negative, is that people aren't used to the smoothness of the inline six. You don't FEEL as much because the power delivery is so smooth and linear. That being said, it'll roast it's rear tire(not tires) if you give it just a bit in first. Ridiculous low-end torque and overall acceleration.

Joe

Is your mom's convertible (which weighs, as you pointed out, damn near 2 tons) an automatic? Seriously, the power delivery between the automatic and manual is ridiculously different for some reason. It's a fine automatic too.

I think the convert weighs 120 lbs more then the XI?

The weight difference of the XI and the covert put it a peg or two down in performance from the comparatively light rwd 335i variations.

I'm not digging these 3800-3900 lb compact sedans:mad:

Did anybody know that the BMW 335xi has OPEN front AND rear differentials..... i dont understand how such an expensive car cant even have an LSD in the back......

seriously WTF ?!?!

I would agree ?? I'm sure there is some Teutonic over thinking going on. :rolleyes:

Yeah its an auto, im just jaded because my dad had a 645 and no car that ive ever been in, including ferrari 360 spyder has come close to the overwhelming amount of torque on tap, the double vanos variable valve timing is the most efficient cam timing system available bmw has always been at least a generation above the rest. what that thing could do with a 4.4 liter v8 was astounashing, 80-140 was almost accidental, not so much with the 335 but thats understandable. P.S that ferrari statement was illfounded because the dude wouldnt push it "kinda pissed me off" but i have been in a gt35 fully built 03 wrx and that didnt give me the feeling that a bmw v8 did. P.S this is actually a pretty good comparason because both the subaru 2.5 liter turbo, and bmw 3.0 liter twin turbo won I think either 07 or 08s international engine of the year awards for their class.

lsds are a bit overrated. Audi and BMW have both gone with the open front and rear diffs and instead are using e-diffs. The 5MT legacy GT and WRX's rear diff doesn't transfer all that much torque between the left and right rear wheels.... an e-diff is very effective on the other hand.

the xDrive system uses electronics and the dsc computer metrics to change torque from front to back... has a rear bias upon normal conditions and uses an ediff to transfer torque from left to right wheels.

Well I can say from experiance the "e-diff" doesnt work worth shit. Even when dsc is activated the car struggles to find traction even with 18 inches of rubber in the back. Especially if your going to throw a piggy back ecu on it. Then agian you have x-drive and my mommy has rear drive.

I think ediffs turn off after 25mph though... as to not overload the braking system. Fairly useless for normal driving speeds.

Also a performance detriment...

Quoted from VW forums:

"Open diff: Coming out of a corner, inside tire has less traction and spins. When this occurs, outside tire also puts (essentially) no power down until the inside tire hooks up.

LSD: Coming out of a corner, inside tire has less traction and spins. However, the outside tire is able to put down more power than the inside due to the LSD, allowing greater acceleration than would be possible otherwise.

E-diff (or whatever you want to call it): Coming out of a corner, the inside tire has less traction and spins, forcing the outside tire to also be unable to put down power. The ECU brakes the inside tire, slowing it down to the point where it regains traction. However, this also slows down the whole car.

Essentially, it prevents you from spinning one tire coming out of the corner, but it does so by forcing less power to be put down, whereas a true LSD allows more power to be put down.

END QUOTE

The reason alot of manufacturers are going ediff is because you cant really have ESP without an open diff or in some more complex cases a torsen.

If you have individual wheel braking with a viscous diff and the ESP attempts to lock the rear left wheel the viscous coupling will attempt to sync all 4.

Thus the reason for the change in the newest model year legacy's equipped with VDC to a rear torsens diff.

lsds are a bit overrated. Audi and BMW have both gone with the open front and rear diffs and instead are using e-diffs. The 5MT legacy GT and WRX's rear diff doesn't transfer all that much torque between the left and right rear wheels.... an e-diff is very effective on the other hand.

I would have to disagree on the effectiveness of electronic LSDs. However, VLSD is can be less predictable when driven to the extremes but electronics take a bit of time to react.

You can't really power steer with either systems reliably or in an accurate fashion.

Well I can say from experiance the "e-diff" doesnt work worth shit. Even when dsc is activated the car struggles to find traction even with 18 inches of rubber in the back. Especially if your going to throw a piggy back ecu on it. Then agian you have x-drive and my mommy has rear drive.

yeah I'm thinking xDrive makes a huge difference... I test drove a 135 and I could break traction in that thing just by breathing heavy.

enjoy the Beamer man, looks very clean! I had a 2004 330Ci that ended up being a giant headache with repairs, but to each their own, as far as quality goes you get what you pay for in a BMW if you're spending 46,000 on a car and it feels like a Kia noone would be buying them. but when you compare a beamer to a Benz, Audi, Lexus or Acura, they dont really stand out as much. a Leggy is probably the best bang for the buck if you compare it to other cars in its price range like the Maxima, Altima, GTI or Jetta you get alot more for your money in the Leggy.

the xDrive system uses electronics and the dsc computer metrics to change torque from front to back... has a rear bias upon normal conditions and uses an ediff to transfer torque from left to right wheels.

Audi - BMW both have open diffs.... Both = German Both = lets take something simple and make it very complicated.

Lol bmw vs. benz, audi, and ACURA LOL DUDE have you ever driven a bmw? Not even in the same leage as any of those especially ACURA!!!!

have I driven a BMW? I used to own a 2004 330Ci 2 years ago and it caused plenty of problems for me with wiring, brakes, and tranny, most of the problems with the car were solely just with that one car, other than that it drove great. I used to work at a BMW Dealership and had the pleasure of driving 3, 5, 6 and X series numerous times a day picking up and delivering cars from customers for servicing, when i worked there BMW's employee rates on cars were through the roof otherwise i would be driving another BMW right now. the company who owned the dealership I worked for also owned a Lexus, Mercedes, Land Rover and Porsche Dealership and i would occasionally work at those dealerships on certain days if they were short handed (Prestige Auto Group in Ramsey, NJ) , I got to drive plenty of Beamers, Lexus', Mercedes etc you name the car I got to drive it (no 1 series unfortunately) but back to the point, of the other cars that compete with BMW, BMW is middle of the pack compared to them, still great cars dont get me wrong but I was validating my point of comparing a Legacy GT to a 335i, both 2 great cars, but thats like apples and oranges, sure a Beamer is gonna be 10x better than a Subaru, but is a Beamer better than a Jag, Benz, Lexus, or Audi? as for acura i threw that in there as a name to throw around with luxury cars, not counting the RSX or Integra, but drive a TL, RL or TSX and they can hold their own as a luxury car.

Archived