LegacyGT.com

WTK: Power gain with K&N, AEM and Perrin intake?

Hey guys!

I have a JDM Legacy GT and I am going to install an aftermarket intake system. Obviously I want the most bang for my buck.....

But i do not know which intake will present the most thrill for me, hence, i need your advice. Thus far, I have seen in several places that the K&N Typhoon intake presents a blistering gain of 13.9hp and 14lbft of torque over stock.

Does anyone know the values of the Perrin short ram, perrin cold air and the AEM cold air?

Does any of them throw off the MAF reading?

This help would be most apprecated!

Thank you guys!

Hope to hear some good stuff very soon ;)

They will all throw off the MAF reading (needs to be rescaled with ECU tuning) and with our cars (at least the USDM 2.5GT ...is yours a 2.0?) the common saying around here is that intakes do not really add all that much power - ESPECIALLY if not tuned for.

That 13.9hp and 14lbft tq are most likely crank numbers, and made up out of thin air. Either made up or they did some dyno runs and took the peak (freak) run.

When picking an intake it seems to be more questioning of:

How loud do you want BOV sound/Turbo Spool/Engine Suction?

Do you want to deal with the possibility of water ingestion from having an intake that reaches deep into the wheel well?

Are Intake Air Temperatures (IATs) really a concern for you?

Short RAM intakes will be louder, but safe from water.

CAI can possibly get water ingestion from the wheel well, but will be quieter than a short ram (in my experience with going from the SPT Short RAM to the AEM, dont know if the Perrin CAI is quiet) but much louder than stock (or even a panel filter for that matter).

A long CAI will have better IAT's as they will not pick up as much of the engine bay heat. The Short RAMs sit right up in the engine bay and really do not offer much protection from heat in low speed situations (not much air is moving around the engine bay when not moving fast), even with a heatshield.

To me, it seems like short RAMs are useful if you are going FMIC and cannot run the intake into the wheel well because the FMIC piping will be there. That, and when you upgrade the turbo and necessary components, ANY free-er flowing intake will be better than the stock one. You'll just be losing power from the hot air intake charge at low speed.

A long CAI has the major downfall of water ingestion. You just need to avoid very deep puddles on the right while driving, or just driving in water that is deeper than more than half way up your wheel. It's easier to avoid these things than you would think. Having a better flowing intake is nice for when you upgrade other parts, and the cold air charge will help.

They all have the downfall of needing to rescale the MAF. I would NOT run an aftermarket intake on my LGT without getting a new ECU tune for it.

Coles notes version:

Any aftermarket CAI or Short Ram = Bad news unless the car is specifically tuned for it.

Any aftermarket CAI or Short Ram = Waste of $$ on stock turbo.

damn :(

I was really hoping that the 14 hp was actually real :D....i want the intake for gain more than noise, alot more than the noise, but the noise will be a great plus :D

I heard that the K&N sounds annoying, anyone knows anything about that?

WRT tuning for an intake:

Intake upgrade, being a small upgrade, wouldnt unplugging the ECU for a while and allowing it to re-adjust itself when re-connected be a good enough 'retune' for this small upgrade?

I know the perrin saves on gas and allows for more turbo sound, but does it also give a significant performance increase?

THanks guys

that is not enough of a "retune" for the intake. it will slightly compensate for the different MAF readings, but they are for the most part very off and will end up with the car running really lean. It will think it is getting less air than it actually is, thus putting in less fuel and getting lean conditions.

Not only that, but aftermarkets can possibly max out the MAF voltage reading if not re-scaled and result in sudden fuel cuts when it hits the peak.

Do you have any friends with turbo cars that are modified? Take a ride in one to see what the intake sounds will give you....high pitched whirring which is the turbo spool...the whoosh from the BOV and some suction noises from intaking more air. Whether or not it is annoying is up to the listener. Short ram = louder = more annoying to lots of people.

I liked the loudness of the SPT short ram intake when I first got it, until I put a CBE on and could not even hear my CBE because the intake was so loud.

I've heard LESS good things about the Perrin than the others. Seems like people avoid the perrin when they go aftermarket intakes. AEM/K&N/AVO seem to be the popular ones on this website. However, you can still give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

I still wouldn't put any intake on my car without a re-tune.

Coles notes version:

Any aftermarket CAI or Short Ram = Bad news unless the car is specifically tuned for it.

If you simply do a drop-in air filter, such as AVO or others (re-usable), you'll notice a substantial gain in the turbo and intake sounds, especially from 3000-5000 rpms.

Add in an intake silencer removal, and you've got yourself some goodness.

:)

Put your money elsewhere than an intake.

where do you live? I'd look into getting an OpenSource tune either locally or an e-tune that you can flash yourself. there is an AP for the JDM cars but it costs WAY more than the USDM AP.

a stage 1 tune will give you some nice gains. I know of one website that does the JDM cars http://www.awdtuning.com ...the guy who runs it is also part of this forum.

well the intake is gonna cost you $200-$400 depending on which you buy. the opensource tune will only cost something like $100-$150 I believe.

either buy an intake and get an e-tune for it. OR just get an e-tune and wait till later for the intake. you're really not gaining any power from an intake. what year is your car? I'm not sure if the JDM's have it, but 05-06 USDM LGTs have a cat in the up-pipe. you could buy a new uppipe with no cat to have better spool...

the way it works is that you're not going to get any crazy gains with aftermarket parts unless they are tuned for. so you're going to need to get a tune either way. look into getting a stage 1 tune. stage 1 will make you happy...for awhile...it certainly did for me.

then once stage 1 isnt enough anymore, look into putting parts on.

• 3 months later...
^^^ :D

THANKS!

I live in Trinidad, West Indies

Small world... I'm in St. Vincent, and seen you around trinituner too. Anyways, old thread, but what did you eventually do to your legacy?

Been doing research on intakes for the past week or so. Read some good and bad stuff so far. Being swayed between doing an intake silencer removal, adding a K&N or SPT intake, or just leaving everything stock for fear of performance losses with the mods.

I also have the 2.0GT legacy, with no mods. Would like to hear what you did, and how satisfied/disappointed you were with the result.

Coles notes version:

+1. If you get an intake, you need a protune to get the most out of it and to help ensure the longevity of your engine.

But if your gonna get a protune, you might as well ditch the intake, get a downpipe and a tune. that will give you way more gains then an intake. and you'll be at stage 2

Archived