LegacyGT.com

Anybody add HID's to non projected low beam (curious if I can add to Wife's Forester)

subiedude

I have HID's on my L GT. I totally love them. Don't think I will ever own a car without them. While showing my Wife my HID's fogs yesterday, She was like when are you going to add them to my car? She has a Forester XT. But they do now have the projectors for the low beams. Anybody know how that will change the output of the light pattern? Any pics of HID's in non projected setups?:confused:

I've had HIDs in Non-projector cars and have had other drivers complain of the glare since the light isn't as focused...Depends on how much you care about others while on the road. I did a better bulb in my last '02 LGT (non-projector) and it looked good. I think they were Nokyas....uber-cheap on Ebay.

My .02...

I have them on my 1999 Honda Accord EX which obviously isn't projected. I haven't really gotten any complaints about them. They are much more brighter and wider but it's no issue. People tell me that if it was a high truck than it would be blinding. A Forester isn't really that high so I'd install them and adjust the angle of the lighting to come down a tad bit. Shouldn't have any problems. Anyone who complains can kiss your rear end. Also, How did you do your fogs? I'm interested!

you will need R type bulbs. D2R bulbs are rated for reflector OEM Hids. Check out my sig and it will break down the differance of projectors and reflector HID's. Hope it helps SD

http://www.omnixautosports.com/v/vspfiles/photos/ED-D2R-HID-BU-2T.jpg

Mr.350

Where did you place your ballasts?

In the passengers side, I had removed the air intake silenencer box, so there was tons of room around the disconnected horns to mount it.

I had the ballast on the drivers side mounted on the metal bar near the windshield fluid reservoir, but when I mounted the new ones, the cord was shorter then my original, so I mounted it above the tank, and tie it to the frame.

Not pretty, but new ballasts are sooooooo much lighter and smaller then the original ones I had mounted under the bumber for my main lights.

I've had HIDs in Non-projector cars and have had other drivers complain of the glare since the light isn't as focused...Depends on how much you care about others while on the road. I did a better bulb in my last '02 LGT (non-projector) and it looked good. I think they were Nokyas....uber-cheap on Ebay.

My .02...

Do you have any pics on what the HID's looked like on your 02? I have an 01 and I absolutely hate the lights I have currently.. Also what did you do about the DTRL set up. Thanks

But the output pattern from an HID bulb is different than a tungsten-filament bulb. They aren't even close, and that is the major design aspect of a headlight! Even if it is "rated" for reflector use by the children who assembled them, doesn't mean they are actually designed for, or safe for use in, a reflector housing.

And HID Foglights? Why even have fog lights? HID's make them useless as fog lights, and the principles of lighting dynamics make a fog light exactly the opposite of what a driving light is supposed to be.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

These discussions have happened before and will happen again, Subiedude asked which bulbs to use in his wifes forester and I pointed him in the right direction. There are tons of debates over why HIDs suck and or are great in all kinds of applications and why they aren't or if they are needed in fogs. My sig breaks it down if you care to check it out, As far as the output pattern if you space the hid bulb back to position the salts to where the filament would sit it will closely mimic the output of a normal halogen bulb with better lighting output. I do agree with you that a non HID optics wont react the same as engineered Hid optics but if executed correctly it will help and perform better then a normal Halogen bulb.

But the output pattern from an HID bulb is different than a tungsten-filament bulb. They aren't even close, and that is the major design aspect of a headlight! Even if it is "rated" for reflector use by the children who assembled them, doesn't mean they are actually designed for, or safe for use in, a reflector housing.

And HID Foglights? Why even have fog lights? HID's make them useless as fog lights, and the principles of lighting dynamics make a fog light exactly the opposite of what a driving light is supposed to be.

Mr.350

I'm well familiar that there will always be disagreement on this topic. I'm of the firm belief that, no matter what you do, an HID bulb is fundamentally different than a Halogen. The simple fact that the arc in an HID bulb is... an arc... is enough to dump excess light exactly where a Halogen (with a straight filament) wouldn't.

If you want information about Forester HID conversions, look at the thread I posted. A LOT of info from both sides of the fence. I'll forever think HID "kits" are a terrible idea, more than just from a performance standpoint. I've done a good deal of talking with Daniel Stern on the topic. It's horrendously illegal (on a federal regulation level, though you won't likely get pulled over for it), and it's surprisingly dangerous (especially when using those cheap $99 kits on e-bay). Not to mention that the improvement in light output is offset by poor placement of the resultant light. More light doesn't necessarily mean you can see further.

If you want improved lighting, I am a major proponent of a quality wiring harness and a good bulb. Using factory wiring, at least on my forester, bulb output was some 70% of rated thanks to the voltage drop across the stock tiny wiring.

Subiedude - It's your choice, your car, and your wife. Looks like Mr_Luv pointed you in the right direction if you MUST put HID's on her car. I'd advise you to do a little more research though and learn from the experiences of others with the same car.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Well said, and yes kits are what they are band aids to say it nicely. If you want to do it right and you must have HIDs take the time and do a retro from oem components. BTW are OEM hids avalible for JDM/EDM foresters?

I'm well familiar that there will always be disagreement on this topic. I'm of the firm belief that, no matter what you do, an HID bulb is fundamentally different than a Halogen. The simple fact that the arc in an HID bulb is... an arc... is enough to dump excess light exactly where a Halogen (with a straight filament) wouldn't.

If you want information about Forester HID conversions, look at the thread I posted. A LOT of info from both sides of the fence. I'll forever think HID "kits" are a terrible idea, more than just from a performance standpoint. I've done a good deal of talking with Daniel Stern on the topic. It's horrendously illegal (on a federal regulation level, though you won't likely get pulled over for it), and it's surprisingly dangerous (especially when using those cheap $99 kits on e-bay). Not to mention that the improvement in light output is offset by poor placement of the resultant light. More light doesn't necessarily mean you can see further.

If you want improved lighting, I am a major proponent of a quality wiring harness and a good bulb. Using factory wiring, at least on my forester, bulb output was some 70% of rated thanks to the voltage drop across the stock tiny wiring.

Subiedude - It's your choice, your car, and your wife. Looks like Mr_Luv pointed you in the right direction if you MUST put HID's on her car. I'd advise you to do a little more research though and learn from the experiences of others with the same car.

Mr.350

Pfft, they are available for CAD Foresters! The CAD ones are, however, not the same housing as the US car. Apparently, they are notoriously difficult to get (or just more expensive than people seem to care to purchase ~1000USD for the setup).

The JDM ones, while HID, are RHD as well.

I appreciate all the input.

1) I don't think I will bother putting it in her car at this point. I saw a really bad kit without projectors, and was wondering he if would make it down the block without getting pulled over.

2) As far as HID fogs... for one thing, after converting main to HID's, you have to disable the DRL's or you will greatly shorten the life of the kit. HID fogs make a great DRL replacement, as well as using them in the in between hours when main HID lights are not required, but will add to the life of the kit.

3) Besides, I like it. And I don't drive with them both on!

Archived