LegacyGT.com

What should I do first?

Hey guys,

Just picked up my stock 05 LGT (MT) and I'm dying to make it my own. I have been crawling through .com for the last week and love it. I tip my hat to your infinite collective knowledge.

My question is, what should I do first?

I want to hear your favorite mod and where I can pick it up.

I'm interested in anything; engine, cosmetic, suspension, etc...

Lets get opinionated:spin:

Haha. I'm such a noob, I thought the thumbs down was a question mark.

I have seen similar posts, but was curious to ask myself. I hope creating this post wasn't against forum etiquette. Like I said...I'm new at this.

I would agree with scoobiedoobie, and go with some new tires (IF your car is equipped with stock RE92's).

As for other mods, it depends on what kind of mods you're interested in. Handling? Power?

Handling, there are a plethora of springs out there to choose from. You can also tighten things up and go with rear and front sway bars (Cobb, Whiteline).

For power, you could pick up an AccessPort from Cobb and flash to stage 1 immediately. There are a few different routes you can go for Stage 2. You can gut your OEM Up Pipe and OEM down pipe and flash to stage 2. Or you can get aftermarket Up & Down pipes.

Welcome- I have an O5 GT also- I agree with zmarko and scoobydoobie, new tires make a lot of difference. If you get new tires, I would also listen carefully for any wheel noise- the wheel bearing sets on these cars tends to create noise after a while. If you have noise, you may be able to get replacements under warranty- Subaru extended the coverage on this. I initially did the seatbelt mod and installed the Jazzy Engineering aux in for the radio so I could play a MP3 player through the stock radio. I also installed some led bulbs for the interior and Orsam Silverstar's for the headlights that were not very expensive. You may also want to check for any Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) and see if your car exhibits any of issues that they cover. Another inexpensive mod is an aftermarket air filter like Blitz- You will be able to hear that 'Whoosh' sound a lot better!

With a manual transmission on an '05, I would think seriously about the clutch and flywheel - are they working OK today? If so, you are probably reaching the end of useful life (I changed mine out to an ACT street clutch and lightweight flywheel at around 95K miles) - this was not cheap, though. I would consider this before doing performance mods or a reflash above Stage 1.

If you have a lot of miles on an older Legacy like mine, you will get great benefits from suspension mods- you might consider replacing the stock struts and springs. Other suspension mods that will change the whole feel of the car: anti-swaybars and endlinks- Lots of Bang for the Buck here. I put in Cobb bars and Perrin endlinks, but there are many good brands out there.

Search, read, learn, and enjoy! If you get much benefit out of the information here, you may consider becoming a donating member- its a great group and a good cause.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome- I have an O5 GT also- I agree with zmarko and scoobydoobie, new tires make a lot of difference. If you get new tires, I would also listen carefully for any wheel noise- the wheel bearing sets on these cars tends to create noise after a while. If you have noise, you may be able to get replacements under warranty- Subaru extended the coverage on this. I initially did the seatbelt mod and installed the Jazzy Engineering aux in for the radio so I could play a MP3 player through the stock radio. I also installed some led bulbs for the interior and Orsam Silverstar's for the headlights that were not very expensive. You may also want to check for any Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) and see if your car exhibits any of issues that they cover. Another inexpensive mod is an aftermarket air filter like Blitz- You will be able to hear that 'Whoosh' sound a lot better!

With a manual transmission on an '05, I would think seriously about the clutch and flywheel - are they working OK today? If so, you are probably reaching the end of useful life (I changed mine out to an ACT street clutch and lightweight flywheel at around 95K miles) - this was not cheap, though. I would consider this before doing performance mods or a reflash above Stage 1.

If you have a lot of miles on an older Legacy like mine, you will get great benefits from suspension mods- you might consider replacing the stock struts and springs. Other suspension mods that will change the whole feel of the car: anti-swaybars and endlinks- Lots of Bang for the Buck here. I put in Cobb bars and Perrin endlinks, but there are many good brands out there.

Search, read, learn, and enjoy! If you get much benefit out of the information here, you may consider becoming a donating member- its a great group and a good cause.

Welcome aboard!

It took me an hour to read this not because it is long but because after every other sentence I find myself staring at your avatar.

car for sale. PM me!

how many miles on the car? and how many miles on the tires (if you know)? If the tires are brand new they aren't as terrible as everyone describes. they'll work well for you for some time. if they've been on the car since it was purchased it may be time for some new rubber.

as others asked, what part of the car would YOU like to enhance performance-wise? Some people strive to get that perfect suspension while others claw after more power. Or do you just want your car to look better? This is what I did to my car, in order from when I purchased till now.

SPT Intake (came from dealer with it, car was used, they gave me the stock box though)

Crappy Black Walmart "Superior" Cloth Floormats (with rubber protection at driver's heel)

30-click Seat belt chime disable

Borla CBE (was rear ended and stock CBE broken in multiple places, so put on an aftermarket instead, thanks JSC Speed)

AccessPort v2 with Stage 1 TuningAlliance e-tune for AEM CAI

AEM CAI (this and AP at same time)

Subaru All Weather Slush Mats (thanks FredBeansParts)

Winter Tires (popped a RE92 right after x-mas, went for winter rubber)

Tinted Windows (group tint in MA, thanks SolarSolutions)

on the chopping block: Transmission Cooler (should have done this awhile ago), Stage 2 parts (Cobb DP, Grimmspeed UP, prob Manifolds and Crossover Pipe from Grimmspeed too), Summer Tires (or All Seasons I'm not sure yet), and the Bilstein HD package from FredBeansParts to go with the STi Pinks springs I have sitting in my closet.

There are too many options! Good luck choosing your path

Go to the teh rice thread and do some of the things they did there!!!:lol::lol:

Acutally, I would get a tune first....either accessport of opensource. That will make a noticable difference. Opensource tuning is typically cheaper, but there are tons of threads that talk about them, what they do and which is "better".

Then I would but a down pipe and up pipe. Then some suspension mods....sways/struts, and then upgrade the brake pads and fluid. Oh and as someone said, check your clutch and fly wheel (especially the clutch), if it's on its way out, change that.

The sweet thing about Subarus are they are easy to make power, and the options are endless as well as the parts!

Hope you enjoy your car!

The car has 46k miles and has newer tires. I forget what they are, but I will go look.

I'm interested in performance mostly, although some nice/ inexpensive exterior mods would be really cool. I'm definitely interested in clearing my headlights/ blacking out the tails/ full debadge.

The tranny seems to feel fresh; better than my girlfriend's 05 2.5rs.

I just ordered a Subaru Momo knob from the dealership ($74) because the stock is so tall.

Money is an issue. I'm probably going have to save a month or two for the access port. I wish they didn't marry the ecu; then I could just flash with one of yours! damnit:(

I just want to get a good idea of what my plan should be. It's a long term project that won't stop until 300whp and up to par handling mods. I just want to know where to start so I can feel a difference right away. I'm really into instant gratification.

Thanks for the input:)

a Stage 1 tune will be instant gratification. can find some for free online or there are different options for opensource e-tuning that arent as expensive.

You will either need to find a local tuner (ask in your regional forum: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25) or buy a tactrix or vag-com cable to flash your own car with the laptop. seeing as you just bought the car a local tuner might be better unless you have experience tuning yourself.

E-tank, if money is an issue, go opensource! You'll save quite a bit. Just do your research to find a reputable tuner....You will have to spend the same amount for a good accessport tune anyway, so why not skip the accessport part and save some coin.

Oh, and don't just go for power....you REALLY should also upgrade suspension and braking as well....alot of people forget that.

What good is having a ton of power if you can't control or stop it??? Alot of people forget that and then wreck their cars because they aren't able to control their power.

If I were you...and I'm doing this as I "mod" my leggy, for everything part I put on that adds power, I would do something to improve the handling and braking.

Just look for good used parts if you don't want to buy them new. There are a lot of good deals to be had on here.

Seat belt chime disable first! It's the only way to start! ;)

What is the big deal with this whole seatbelt chime disable?????:confused:

I see soooo many people saying to do this. Why is this a big deal? Do most of you on here drive without your seat belts, or is there something I'm missing to this? What's the point?

Sorry to go OT.

It took me an hour to read this not because it is long but because after every other sentence I find myself staring at your avatar.

:lol:

its an optical illusion, if you look really carefully after a few seconds you'll be able to see Toronto's CN Tower in the background.

What is the big deal with this whole seatbelt chime disable?????:confused:

I see soooo many people saying to do this. Why is this a big deal? Do most of you on here drive without your seat belts, or is there something I'm missing to this? What's the point?

Sorry to go OT.

Because less chiming = more HP

really, though, i wear my seatbelt most of the time (usually only dont if its a really, really, short ride), but if i'm doing something that doesnt require me to put on a seatbelt but i will have the car running / driving for a small amount of time, i dont wanna hear some stupid bell telling me to put on my seatbelt when i never intended to in the first place. the first 5 chimes are enough, i dont need to hear it for the rest of my ride.

Archived