LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Thanks, it's really not that hard. Just use some commonsense. When I did this. I look for the straightest part of both rods, cut, add my spacers, tack & weld. To get the geometry right. I traced the shift rod. So I have a templet. Then I cut, add, spacer, tack check it with my templet, & weld it up. Spray some paint on it. It looks & works like OEM.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

guys.. i have done the conversion from 5EAT to a STi 6Spd w/out DCCD. However, I am facing one big headache. It seems like my E-throttle is not function accordingly to the throttle input. At the moment, its only opening 40% max, therefore, I can't build boost..

Anyone, that has done the 5EAT to STi 6spd conversion can offer any advice.

Another issue, is my Driveshaft (fr Gearbox to the Wheel Hub) is slightly longer, as I modified them.. now, when i full locked, it has that grinding sound.

Can I ask, when u guys do the conversion, what "Driveshaft/HalfShaft" u guys use?

Hope to get your advices. Cheers and HAPPY NEW YEAR.

guys.. i have done the conversion from 5EAT to a STi 6Spd w/out DCCD.

IMO you should get a DCCD controller. The DCCD is a multi wet clutch, electrical magnet diff. Without the DCCD controller, you have a open center diff. Means your stuck if you lost traction in your front or rear wheels. Prolong use without a DCCD controller can harm your DCCD.

If you go to these site. It will anwser your "?" The short of it. DCCD, was never ment to run as a open differential. DCCD controller allows the drive to control the power "%" to the front and rear wheels.

http://www.neetronics.com/neet/image...anual_v106.pdf

http://www.dccdpro.com/

I went with Spiider’s” Auto DCCD controller the "auto" & 250 dollar price tag was the selling point. + a 5 wire hook up. This controller has everything I wan't and nothing I don't.

However, I am facing one big headache. It seems like my E-throttle is not function accordingly to the throttle input. At the moment, its only opening 40% max, therefore, I can't build boost..

Anyone, that has done the 5EAT to STi 6spd conversion can offer any advice.

IMO your problem is that your ECU is not get any data from your A/T transaxle anymore. So I think your ECU is in default mode. You may have to swap out your old ECU. For one that came out of a 05 - 06GT with a 5MT.

Another issue, is my Driveshaft (fr Gearbox to the Wheel Hub) is slightly longer, as I modified them.. now, when i full locked, it has that grinding sound.

Can I ask, when u guys do the conversion, what "Driveshaft/HalfShaft" u guys use?

Hope to get your advices. Cheers and HAPPY NEW YEAR.

I use all four of my half shafts from my 05 GT 5MT. When I swap in the STi 6MT with a regeared R160 rear. How & what did you mod on your haft shaft. The shafts take a lot of force to snap back in place. Just a thought. Without knowing what you did to your half shafts. It's hard to say. They could be over extended if you shorten them too much or binding up if there not in all the way.

Good luck & hope you get it all in good working order.

Mike

I didn't read all the pages but, why aren't you using the 6sp spec B tranny?

I don't know who your asking, me or Shygt. But for me the STi has DCCD & front LSD. Also the STi has been out in the states sense 04. More chance to find a good use STi 6MT. I started gathering part in April of 07. The Spec. B has only been out 8 mos. or so.

Mike

I don't know who your asking, me or Shygt. But for me the STi has DCCD & front LSD. Also the STi has been out in the states sense 04. More chance to find a good use STi 6MT. I started gathering part in April of 07. The Spec. B has only been out 8 mos. or so.

Mike

exactly. besides, why would you not want the DCCD??? :D

HD, i see you have the 07 Solstice GXP. how do you like it?? Was thinking of one for autox but hubby told me I can't have 4 cars. :(

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for the advice. My STi 6spd tranny has no DCCD, its from a 02 JDM STi. I prefer using this compare to one that has DCCD, so as to minimise wiring issues. In my country, there aren't many good electrical guys around. So save me the headaches and $$$.

As for the Halfshafts, good suggestion, I shall go see if i can find any LGT 5MT Halfshafts.. Chances are pretty slim, as most LGT in my country at 5EAT. But I am using R180 STi diff, as my tranny came in a complete set.

Yes, i believe the ECU is currently in a safe mode, however, I can still drive the car, the only issue is that I can't full boost. There's still 0.8bar of boost avail.. That's the frustrating thing.

Some of u may question why i convert to a 6spd from a 5EAT. The reason was that the AT wasn't holding my power anymore. I was slipping big time on track. And I oredi had the IPT VB upgrade. Couldn't afford to do a complete IPT RACE Tranny, as I have to ship my whole trans to them, which will take 4 weeks maybe.. :confused:

exactly. besides, why would you not want the DCCD??? :D

HD, i see you have the 07 Solstice GXP. how do you like it?? Was thinking of one for autox but hubby told me I can't have 4 cars. :(

Why not,:rolleyes::) ask him where's the :wub:. I love my GXP. MY GT & GXP never fails to put a :):):) on my face & a few:eek::eek: on others. In 4 mos. I put over 12.5k on her before I put her up for the winter. Now I have the 6MT in the GT. I really have to remember what car I'm in. Both cars are in the mid to low 5's, 0 to 60, but handling AWD, RWD & body roll. The two handle really different. Going from a very close geared 6MT to an avg. 5MT. Can make me look like a noob with a stick:redface::lol:.

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for the advice. My STi 6spd tranny has no DCCD, its from a 02 JDM STi. I prefer using this compare to one that has DCCD, so as to minimise wiring issues. In my country, there aren't many good electrical guys around. So save me the headaches and $$$.

As for the Halfshafts, good suggestion, I shall go see if i can find any LGT 5MT Halfshafts.. Chances are pretty slim, as most LGT in my country at 5EAT. But I am using R180 STi diff, as my tranny came in a complete set.

Yes, i believe the ECU is currently in a safe mode, however, I can still drive the car, the only issue is that I can't full boost. There's still 0.8bar of boost avail.. That's the frustrating thing.

Some of u may question why i convert to a 6spd from a 5EAT. The reason was that the AT wasn't holding my power anymore. I was slipping big time on track. And I oredi had the IPT VB upgrade. Couldn't afford to do a complete IPT RACE Tranny, as I have to ship my whole trans to them, which will take 4 weeks maybe.. :confused:

I don't know when the ECU is in default. It just limits boost or mybe timing & fuel. If it's just boost. You can go with a manual boost controller. Just a idea.

Mike

How is the aftermarket (Spiider) DCCD controller working for you?

I located an STI transmission I am considering buying, but the more I read about DCCD controllers I am getting concerened with the safety of an aftermarket controller, especially in "auto" mode - as I understand Spiider's controller currently does not offer manual control of the locking rate of the center diff, rather "aggressiveness" level.

The factory controller relies on many inputs, including G-sensors, ABS sensors, brake sensor (i.e if brakes applied), throttle position sensor. Particularly important seems what happens under heavy braking and/or emergency maneuver - I would rather not end up hitting something because aftermarket programming was not as safe as the factory one.

Installation of the factory DCCD controller looks unfeasible, or very involved. Primary question is if it's compatible with our ABS sensors/module.

The more I think about it the safest bet would a non-DCCD 6spd box. Either JDM/EDM, or USDM 2007+ SpecB one w/added front LSD. Plus, I think SpecB gearing is more favorable for a street driven car.

How is the aftermarket (Spiider) DCCD controller working for you?

I located an STI transmission I am considering buying, but the more I read about DCCD controllers I am getting concerened with the safety of an aftermarket controller, especially in "auto" mode - as I understand Spiider's controller currently does not offer manual control of the locking rate of the center diff, rather "aggressiveness" level.

The factory controller relies on many inputs, including G-sensors, ABS sensors, brake sensor (i.e if brakes applied), throttle position sensor. Particularly important seems what happens under heavy braking and/or emergency maneuver - I would rather not end up hitting something because aftermarket programming was not as safe as the factory one.

Installation of the factory DCCD controller looks unfeasible, or very involved. Primary question is if it's compatible with our ABS sensors/module.

The more I think about it the safest bet would a non-DCCD 6spd box. Either JDM/EDM, or USDM 2007+ SpecB one w/added front LSD. Plus, I think SpecB gearing is more favorable for a street driven car.

I think you need to ask Jeff, about these "?"'s on safety & how thing work, because I'll be only guessing & making "IMO" statement. So here's my thoughts. I really like the Auto controller. He also sell a manual if you like. Back to the auto, it's only at a min. of a 5 wire hook-up. 12v hot, ground, TPS, & the 2 wire that go to you DCCD. The controller uses info from you TPS & pre-wired control knob & G-sensor to control the DCCD. Your ABS is not a player in this at all.

Yes the 07 spec.b have better street gearing , but need to add up all the cost of parts & labor. Only you can make that call. In over 6k of driving in all types of weather. I don't see nothing unsafe about this DCCD controller.

If you like we could meet half way between NY & MA. And you can see & feel the difference of a STi 6MT w/ DCCD controller & front LSD in a Legacy GT. Then it could answer some of your "?" And your choices easier to make.

Mike

Hey, thank you for the offer to test drive your car, I really appreciate it.

I am not dissing Spiider's controller, just pointing differences regarding inputs compared to stock controller. I do not doubt that the controller works fine in normal conditions (given favorable reviews), the question is what happens at the extremes, i.e. could the controller contribute to an unpredictable car behavior.

Sure adding front LSD to a SpecB tranny increases the cost considerably. JDM/EDM non-DCCD do exist but are likely even harder to get and JDM gearing is I believe shorter than STI AFAIK (1-4 as in 04-06 USDM STI, 5-6 shorter).

email Jeff aka spiider at sales@dccdpro.com

He can answer your "?"'s & help putting any concerns aside. My ABS work just as it did when I had the 5MT. Theres no ill effects on the ABS workings. With this DCCD controller. I have test the ABS with his DCCD controller in all weather now. It's good to go. But how I feel not meen a thing if you have concerns.

Talk to him, take my car for drive, the deside what you like to do.

Mike

Unclemat, you are correct, the gearing in the JDM boxes are shorter when it comes to the 5th and 6th gears.

There is an added cost of around $2000-$2700 to add an LSD to the SpecB tranny.

You could just add the STI tranny to the LGT and be done with it...not need a controller. It'll just default to 35/65 and thats it. It'll be like having a non-STI 6MT in there anyway.

Talk to Stephen Clark at Innovative Automotive Performance in Arizona. I purchased a JDM Ver8 STi motor (7k miles) and a JDM Ver7 6MT (22k miles) from him a couple years back. When I dealt with him, his products were the some of the best import quality. Very clean and low mileage. He's a VERY patient man when it come to asking him questions.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Yeah, front LSD upgrade is likely $1000 + labor.

No, leaving center diff "open", does not mean "35:65 and that's it". DCCD does NOT change torque split, it changes locking rate. Leaving it "open", means just that - it will become an open diff. Well, except 06+ STI tranyn where portion of the center diff is actually "mechanical", and it cannot be left completely open (and default split btw is 41:59).

Another alternative is replacing STI DCCD center diff with a viscous one, or clutch type one (like Cusco, I understand). Replacing center diff is much simpler than front diff, does not require cracking the transmission open.

Btw, how did you like the JDM 6MT, especially now compared to the tall geared SpecB 6MT? Also, was it 3.9 FD? (like SpecB)

According to my research all USDM STI trannys have wacko gearing:

04-06 STI: short 1-4 (like JDM), medium 5-6 - the 4/5 gap is considerable and annoying according to pre-07 STI owners

07+ STI: tall 1-4 gears (like SpecB), medium 5-6 (same as 04-06), now the 4/5 gap is short (1k rpm dif) and some end up skipping 5th gear when shifting

Looks like SpecB gearing is just right for a highway cruiser and with evenly spaced gears. If only SOA did not cheap out and put a front LSD there :(

Yeah, front LSD upgrade is likely $1000 + labor.

No, leaving center diff "open", does not mean "35:65 and that's it". DCCD does NOT change torque split, it changes locking rate. Leaving it "open", means just that - it will become an open diff. Well, except 06+ STI tranyn where portion of the center diff is actually "mechanical", and it cannot be left completely open (and default split btw is 41:59).

Another alternative is replacing STI DCCD center diff with a viscous one, or clutch type one (like Cusco, I understand). Replacing center diff is much simpler than front diff, does not require cracking the transmission open.

Btw, how did you like the JDM 6MT, especially now compared to the tall geared SpecB 6MT? Also, was it 3.9 FD? (like SpecB)

According to my research all USDM STI trannys have wacko gearing:

04-06 STI: short 1-4 (like JDM), medium 5-6 - the 4/5 gap is considerable and annoying according to pre-07 STI owners

07+ STI: tall 1-4 gears (like SpecB), medium 5-6 (same as 04-06), now the 4/5 gap is short (1k rpm dif) and some end up skipping 5th gear when shifting

Looks like SpecB gearing is just right for a highway cruiser and with evenly spaced gears. If only SOA did not cheap out and put a front LSD there :(

First, I never got to try the JDM 6MT as I had to kill the project...it was getting out of control money and time wise. :( Yes, it is a 3.9 as I had an open R160 3.9 geared diff to take the R&P out of to put in a WRX R160 LSD for the swap. I still have the R160 3.9 R&P (actually I have the whole diff pumpkin)...LOW mileage too (22k miles). Out of a 2000 BE 'L' 5MT.

2nd, across the board, all 1st gears in 6MT's are, for the most part, the same, 3.636; regardless of year or market.

3rd, how are the 1-4 gears on the 04-06 6MT's short, and the 1-4 gears on the 07+ STI (Spec B too) tall? They are relatively the same ratios....just better spaced on the 07+ STI (spec B).

You are correct....nearly no one has liked the gearing of the USDM STI from 04-06 above 4th gear. I'm sure there are a few kids out there that do though.

And yes, it'll be 35:65 and that's it. That statement did not mean it'll be a VLSD or that a working DCCD changes torque split, it means that it splits the torque 35:65 and is an open diff when a controller is not functional or hooked up.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...highlight=dccd

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...highlight=dccd

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1005217

And, as for the center diff, you do need to open the tranny, as the tail section needs to come off to gain access to the center diff. Granted, that is next to the easiest thing to do to the 6MT (replacing the rear oil seal is probably easier :lol:), you still need to break the seal and crack the case at that location.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

I meant that all SpecB gears seem to be matched together better, have more even spacing. So are JDM 6spd (much shorter overall).

USDM STI trannys are "frankenstains". 04-06 is mix of 2-4 JDM are sti gears and 5-6 "USDM sti gears". 07 has 2-4 SpecB gears, but 5-6 are "old USDM sti gears".

True, 1st is same on all 6spd boxes. ;)

Replacing center diff is just cracking the transfer gear portion of the case, much less hassle than cracking the whole thing open and dickng with front diff replacement (job not for a weekend warrior mechanic...).

Anyway, DCCD is a better than VLSD.... the key is to have the controller that works, I am concerend that nothing will replace the factory stuff. Here is a map of how DCCD controller works:

dccd02.jpg.d7699d667212d6187753da5dc4699b95.jpg

• 1 month later...
Now I know 100%. If anyone is doing a STi 6MT swap. You need to use the OEM natural safety switch,[NSS] out of the 5MT, for the cruise control to work. I wont get into why the 6MT's NSS wont work. All the dealer tell me that I got it wired right & it's working, but the cruise control part of the ECU. Isn't seeing the NSS. I wire in the 5MT's NSS and my cruise works.:spin::spin::lol::cool: