LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

I am pretty sure that i am going to give my performance shop the go ahead tomorrow. The tranny i am getting has all three LSD and no DCCD. Form what I have gathered the DCCD is neet, but i see it as a system that I would not utalize that often. I am having all the Brembo's put on as well, so I am well on my way to the S402!!! I have not gotten all of the details on the equipment yet, but that is what I am waiting for.

I appreciate that you are trying to put reliable and correct info out there, believe me. To me, it sounded like people are saying the B 6MT is a pile of high-smellin' dung compared to the STI 6MT because of that short list of differences. Hardly the case.

And thats the person's fault for TOTALLY buying into what they find out on an unofficial website like LegacyGT.com without doing some independent research on their own for a purchase as large as a car. Don't pass the buck onto us because said doofus paid for something with ill-knowledge. A boost controller, maybe, but not a car...thats their fault.

Thanks, I wouldn't blame the site, but the doofus would and run is mouth. Your right it would be all the doofus's fault.

I was talking about a buying the 6MT, like a boost controller, apart. Not a whole car. I don't know where that came from, but if I implied that, I'm sorry.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

I am not going with the 6mt at this time, instead i am putting a new case on my 5mt w/ new clutch, flywheel, and the like. The only way i can afford to do the swap is to do it myself and right now i do not have an extra car. I have thought about buying a beater to drive when i am working on the LGT, but only time will tell what I will actually end up doing.

Now i wonder how much it would cost to make a 5eat into a 5mt...hmmm!?

Don't mod yours, drive very little and go trade it in on a LGT 5MT :lol::rolleyes::lol::) . But if your going to do it. Go 6MT, but if you really want to swap a 5MT. I have the one out of my GT, 73k w\ mounts, cross member, shifter & rear end. It's all your for $500.00. The rear end, you might need or not. I don't know what gearing of the rear end of A|T, but it goes with the 5MT. If you don't need it mybe you can sell it. REMEMBER the sync. is bad in my old 5MT. Grinds from 3rd to 4th when you shift above 4k rpms.

Do a lot of research. See what it will cost to fix the 5MT+ selling price. My be you can find & buy a good use one for the same price or cheeper.

Mike

I really thinking about doing this as well. I want to buy another LGT MT wagon, but they are hard to find.

Instead I considering picking an 05 LGT AT wagon, which especially in unlimited form can be gotten significantly cheaper. It seems that the 6MT conversion may cost me only like 1-2k over if I were to buy a 05 LGT MT wagon....

Hmmmmm.

Of course I would have to add pedals and master cylinder. Probably some other crap like wiring for clutch switch, neutral sensor. I would hope that ECU could be simply reflashed with a MT map. Anyone has some idea?

I should be gettin my GT back late this week or early next with a fixed 5mt, spec 2+ clutch and fly. Oh i also had them put in the shifter bushings. With the money i did not spend on the conversion I will be moding the car more.

You can get a factory 3.90 ring/pinion from the dealer.

Right, looks like MT WRX and 2.5i MT Legacy come with 3.90 rear diff.

Why then the guy offers the 2.5i diffs conversions at all? :confused:

Would it bolt on to LGT with 6MT swap? I wonder if 2.5i diff would be strong enough for the torque/power. I'd think WRX diff should be alright.

Yeah, but according to cars101.com 2005 WRX MT has 3.90 final ratio... so 2005 Legacy 2.5i MT...

If that would just bolt on that would be terrific. I am not too crazy about custom parts.

EDIT: Yeah, 3.9 final but tranny has 1:1.1 reduction, so diff is actually 3.545. 07-08 LGT rear diff is 3.9 (05-06 is 4.11).

Not custom just rear gear with new ring & pinion. So maybe the R160 he had for my kit didn't have 3.90 or had to many miles on it. All I now I need a match set. With the GT having 4.11.

Mike

Yeah, it seems indeed 04-05 WRX R160 rear diff would work. 3.90 ratio, LSD. Some people run them, although the diff and axles become the weakest links in the powertrain. That's why they upgrade to R180 is nice, but that's extra $$$ because of the hubs and brakes (and wheels if 05+ STI).

An 05 LGT AT nonlimited wagon with 40k miles can had for like $15k. $15k + $4-6k for 6mt conversion = $19-21, hopefully -$1k proceeds from selling the AT box... ~$18-20k for a LGT wagon with 6spd box. Not that much more what a nonlimited LGT MT would cost ($17-18k).

Btw, after some research on nasioc, it seems people are able to score 6MT STI boxes for around $3k and diffs for ~$300.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah, it seems indeed 04-05 WRX R160 rear diff would work. 3.90 ratio, LSD.

Negatory. USDM MY04-5 WRX rear diff has a 3.54 ratio while the front diff is 3.90. The transmission includes a 1:1.1 transfer gear connected to the center diff that only affects the rear driveshaft.

If you're going to use a USDM WRX rear diff, you have to get a new R&P. Otherwise, you can source a USDM '91-'93 Legacy Turbo rear diff, which is a 3.90 R160 (some with viscous LSDs). Somebody on NASIOC also supplies what I think are JDM 3.90 R160 units (SpecC4U (?), a vendor from Canada, IIRC).

Interestingly enough, the MY08 Spec B comes with this 1:1.1 transfer gear in the 6MT, too (according to the service manual). The rear end is an 3.54 ratio R180.

I got the LGT back with the tranny case b/c the through out bearing chewed part of it up. Anywas I am getting used to the lightweight flywheel, it is like a nother car. The clutch grabs crazy hard, if you let it. the total was 3K to get it back on the streets. With some of the money i did not spend on the tranny i spent of 4 wheel disc brakes!!! I love them

Negatory. USDM MY04-5 WRX rear diff has a 3.54 ratio while the front diff is 3.90. The transmission includes a 1:1.1 transfer gear connected to the center diff that only affects the rear driveshaft.

If you're going to use a USDM WRX rear diff, you have to get a new R&P. Otherwise, you can source a USDM '91-'93 Legacy Turbo rear diff, which is a 3.90 R160 (some with viscous LSDs). Somebody on NASIOC also supplies what I think are JDM 3.90 R160 units (SpecC4U (?), a vendor from Canada, IIRC).

Interestingly enough, the MY08 Spec B comes with this 1:1.1 transfer gear in the 6MT, too (according to the service manual). The rear end is an 3.54 ratio R180.

Thanks for the info. I was guessing based on the info on cars101.com. I guess the "final drive" ratios refer to comined diff ratio & reduction in the transmission.

Do you know 5MT from LGT has that 1:1.1 reduction?

• 1 month later...

What I did when I 1st did my swap.

Need to shim out the back of the shifter assembly about 3/8". I used 5 flat washer on ea. bolts that is 3\8"longer. Has you'll see in the pics. The washer was the easies way to make the spacers, because of the angles of the bolts go into the body of the car.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/th_0804072050.jpg

This was a quick fix. It worked ok, but the shifter hit the ACC door when open. Shifting into 3rd & 5th.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/th_0809071452a.jpg http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/th_0809071453.jpg http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/th_0809071452.jpg

After 6k on the swap. This just bugged me. So last weekend I fixted it right. I lengthen both the shifting rod & the shifter support rod .38"

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/th_1215071546.jpg http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/th_1215071544.jpg http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/th_1215071541.jpg

Now the shifter set in the the center. Which make it easier to shift & drive.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/th_1218071449.jpghttp://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/th_1218071448.jpg http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/HAMMERDOWNGT/Subaru/th_1218071447.jpg

Mike

Edited by HAMMER DOWN

Hardcore. I bet you could have used LGT 6MT (SpecB) shifter linkage and rod and it would bolt right in. You could also get short shifter version of it...

Thanks for the info. I was guessing based on the info on cars101.com. I guess the "final drive" ratios refer to comined diff ratio & reduction in the transmission.

Do you know 5MT from LGT has that 1:1.1 reduction?

Sorry I missed your "?" No the 05 GT 5 MT & A\T is 1:1

Hardcore. I bet you could have used LGT 6MT (SpecB) shifter linkage and rod and it would bolt right in. You could also get short shifter version of it...

Yah, but if a OEM STi shift knob retails for $136.00:eek: I hate to see the coast of the spec. b linkage. Plus why buy when you have the tools & skill to make it :cool:.

Mike

yeah, hardcore Mike. :eek:

I'd like to learn welding...but messing with the given geometry of the shifting assembly beyond a production unit (OEM or aftermarket) is pretty hardcore for me right now. :lol:

Lengthening the rear shifter post....okay. Lengthening the shift rod itself? :eek:

Good work man.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson