LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

Might have just been the car I drove then...

I keep my revs around 2500 during city driving too, so I'm still not sure where the advantage is. Htere is always power right when I need it...

You said $6,000 for just the gearbox and DCCD? There was mention of brakes in there too...

$4800 shipped for parts, transaxle & mounting cross member, OEM DCCD control , R160 rear rebuilt & regeared, drive shaft, flywheel & pressure plate. The $6000 was total cost of doing the swap. New drive shaft, because the STi's had bad U-joints. After market DCCD w\ Auto. $250 & only 5 wires to hook up. OEM 20 some wires,:rolleyes: NOT. The rest in Miscellaneous parts.

The MPH in 1-6 gears @ 2000 RPM & 3000 RPM.

05 STi 6MT in 05 GT, 3.90 final drive, 24.6" tires (215-45\17)

............................MPH @ RPM.........................

Gear..........RPM...........................RPM... ...........

................2000..........................3000 ..............

...1..............5............................... .15...............

...2.............16............................... 22...............

...3.............22............................... 26...............

...4.............24............................... 41...............

...5.............39............................... 58...............

...6.............45............................... 73...............

Has you can see, the power is only a stomp away in any gear.:)

If some wan't to get the #'s for the 5MT, It would be nice to compare them.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

I have to deside in the next two days if i am doing the swap or not (my tranny broke itself) can some one please help me understand which DCCD to choose and if i even need it. I think that I read somewhere that some of the 6's do not need it?

Please someone help clear me up.

I have to deside in the next two days if i am doing the swap or not (my tranny broke itself) can some one please help me understand which DCCD to choose and if i even need it. I think that I read somewhere that some of the 6's do not need it?

Please someone help clear me up.

OK, 06 & earlier STi 6MT's need a DCCD controler. Witch one, thats up to you:

Check out these link.

http://www.neetronics.com/neet/image...anual_v106.pdf

This one above has alot of bells and whistles, but manual only. around $400 & up. I was looking at that 1st.

http://www.dccdpro.com/

http://dccdpro.com/?page_id=5

I went with Spiider’s” Auto DCCD controller the "auto" & 250 dollar price tag was the selling point. + a 5 wire hook up. This controller has everything I wan't and nothing I don't.

I hear that the 07 STi is part mechanical & DCCD, so that one wouldn't really need a DCCD controller.

The only other 6MT is out of 07 & up Spec.B. They have a viscosity limited slip center differential.

Mike

Well, I was driving in Houston at 35 mph and the clutch uningaged and the pedel went to the floor and the clutch made terrible clanking/grinding noices. So I pulled over to a parking lot and then white smoke came out of the hood scoop. Long story short the throughout bearing crapped itself and ended up cutting into the bellhousting and making it so i have to change the housing and that is $$$$$.

Anyways i think that i am going to get the 6mt conversion. It includes sti tranny, custom shaft, r-180 rear, sti halfsafts, sti rear hubs, and rear brembos installed for ~9!!! My main question is that the 6mt does not have DCCD and does not need one. What are the advantages of it? What does this tell me about the tranny, what year model did it come from? I am nervus about the clutch so I am going to put an exedy twin disc, am also debating on weather to have them go ahead and rebuild the tranny. Am I being paraniod? Would the tranny be stronger if it just had a limited fr, mid, rear, could there be any advantages??

Anyways i think that i am going to get the 6mt conversion. It includes sti tranny, custom shaft, r-180 rear, sti halfsafts, sti rear hubs, and rear brembos installed for ~9!!!

My main question is that the 6mt does not have DCCD and does not need one.?What does this tell me about the tranny, what year model did it come from?

All STi's come with DCCD, Driver Controlled Center Differential. If your 6MT doesn't have one. Then it's out of a Spec B. That as viscosity limited slip center differential. So I think you are talking about DCCD Controllers.

I did PM you back on that one and post here.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1393648&postcount=110

What are the advantages of it/

If you go to these site. It will anwser your "?" The short of it. DCCD, was never ment to run as a open differential. DCCD controller allows the drive to control the power "%" to the front and rear wheels.

http://www.neetronics.com/neet/image...anual_v106.pdf

http://www.dccdpro.com/

I am nervus about the clutch so I am going to put an exedy twin disc, am also debating on weather to have them go ahead and rebuild the tranny. Am I being paraniod? Would the tranny be stronger if it just had a limited fr, mid, rear, could there be any advantages??

The STi' & it's 6MT come with limited front & rear differential. Rebuild? if you think you have to rebuild it, NOT buy it for that kind of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. It will coat you only $150 to $450 to buy a after market DCCD Controller. It will cost you 2 to 3, or my be 4 X that just to have the DCCD swap out for a limited slip.

It sound like you are having someone elese do the swap. So it come down to you. What will make you happy & unparaniod. And how much money you want to send.

Good luck,

Mike

The STi' & it's 6MT come with limited front & rear differential.

Hmmm, didn't realize STI had front LSD. Mmmmmmm. That's a compelling reason to go with STI 6MT and not SpecB 6MT.

Yap, That way when some Spec B owners, say it the same 6MT as the STi. I have to tell them, no it's not, Main difference is: Links, from Thread,

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8598&highlight=6MT

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1304888&postcount=68

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1305549&postcount=88

Mike

Yeah, STI 6MT ftw then. I really wish the car had front lsd... hate loosing traction in front in sharp turns. If I am crazy enough this is a mod I'll do one day...

I know what you mean. I noticed it more at the drag strip. At launch, 1st gear, I would spin the driver side front tire and chirp it in 2nd & 3rd.

Can't wait to see what the STi 6MT does at the strip & this winter, here in Central NY.

Mike

So are you saying a limited middle dif would be better? I think that the DCCD would be. I have a lot of questions to ask the installer. Why did you put the clutch back in without changing it? I would think that it would need replacement. I am pretty sure that it did not come from a Spec B b/c it has a R180 rear and all the rear sti stuff like brembos. I know that my car would be the third car that it would go into b/c it is coming from a wide body wrx from arizona. One of my thoughts is to replace the clutch, fly, through, and seals just cuz, but that is getting expensive, but I really want it. Is there a way to check the sincros in the 6mt before it is installed, besides just running it through the gears.

I really want the 6mt, but it will cost ~10500 with new clutch and stuff, that is a lot of money to put into an 05. It will cost like ~4500 to just get my car back with a new tranny case. Or I could do the build myself, but i do not have a lift or the time to perform the swap.

Please let me know what you think!!!

So are you saying a limited middle dif would be better? NO,I said, It's cheeper to buy a after market DCCD controller. The swap in a LSD [Limited Slip Differential] I think that the DCCD would be. Yes. I have a lot of questions to ask the installer. Why did you put the clutch back in without changing it? I would think that it would need replacement. I didn't, I put a new clutch disk in, but reused my STi flywheel & pressure plate. I am pretty sure that it did not come from a Spec B b/c it has a R180 rear and all the rear sti stuff like brembos. 07 & ^ Spec B's have the same LSD[Torsen® limited-slip rear differential.] So it is safe to think. That too has the a R180 rear end. I know that my car would be the third car that it would go into b/c it is coming from a wide body wrx from arizona. If your the 3rd vehicle the parts are going in:eek:. Stop & rethink. How many mile are on those part. I would, if it was me. Look for 2nd hand parts not 3rd. For the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ your spending. Your parts should be from the original vehicle and have 35k[miles] ore less, IMO. One of my thoughts is to replace the clutch, fly, through, and seals just cuz, but that is getting expensive, but I really want it. Is there a way to check the sincros in the 6mt before it is installed, besides just running it through the gears. No, two ways to check synchros, is to drive it or tare it a part.

I really want the 6mt, but it will cost ~10500 with new clutch and stuff, that is a lot of money to put into an 05. It will cost like ~4500 to just get my car back with a new tranny case. Or I could do the build myself, but i do not have a lift or the time to perform the swap. If you looked at my pics. in my thead. I don't have a lift either. In you case, I would do one of the three things. (1) if the $10.5k is your money, not the bank. Then Go to the Dealer Trade your car & the $10.5k in on a New Spec B. (2) Keep looking for a better 6MT swap Kit. Buy a really cheep better to drive so you can do the swap yourself. You can do this and wont spend 10k. (3) Get your car fixed, back the it was and drive it. Your cheepest option.

Please let me know what you think!!!

Mike

Well, i am going to call the performance shop that will be doing the work and asking them many new questions. Since the only 6mt with a limited slip mid is the spec b and I am pretty sure that this did not come from a spec b then I think that the tranny has been gone through (rebuilt maybe?). If it came from a spec b then i would doubt that the kit would come with sti brembo rears. I did find just the kit online at vividracing for a wrx for 7 with all the same parts, I might have them just get it from there.

I am located in Houston, tx and one of the guys at this shop used to work at the shop where all of this equipment is coming from. I really need to ask him the questions tomorrow?

I know that i could do it myself, but my car is in pieces at their yard already b/c at first i thought that the clutch just had to be replaced and I was going to work offshore for two weeks and they could get it back to me.

I did look into the economics of buying a spec b or sti and it just did not work. b/c i would have to pay at least 2 to get my car barly driveable to sell it. Plus i have done a lot of audio work to the car and the rest of the car is in great shape. I wish i had the time to do it myself or drive another car, but it is my only transportation. I am not married.

You still satisfied with the mod?

I know if i do this mod that it will only be the begining of a monster!!! 400 whp here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly Hammer, the 6MTs between the STi and 07/08 SpecBs are not all that different. Yes, they are different, but they aren't long lost cousins 15 times removed.

STI 6MT differs in the following:

- front LSD (B has an open front diff)

- DCCD (which includes torque split and all electronic wizardry it has; B has VDC and a regular VLSD center diff w/ 50/50 split)

- 5th and 6th ratios (which includes different sychros)

- different feeling clutch (have no idea why since some are finding the 07/08 B puts down similar stock torque numbers as a stock STI)

Also, there has to be something to the statement that the B 6MT is quite similar to the STI 6MT if FHI put the R180 pumpkin in the 07/08 B. I mean, why bother if the B 6MT is a lesser quality than the STI 6MT.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

If this indeed is true...I hate corporate Subaru. :mad:

From the pics they look exactly the same. The intake, intercooler, and I think there all 2.5's now. BUT, you got to look at it this way, more parts and should be cheaper parts for us who own Legacy's. Legacy's are no longer the only cars with this intake and IC setup. I think the suspension setup on the new WRX is different though. Not exactly sure. I am hoping everything on the new WRX is exactly the same.

You still satisfied with the mod?

I know if i do this mod that it will only be the begining of a monster!!! 400 whp here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very satisfied, have put over 500 miles on it so fare.

Unless my turbo goes to hell. I plan on going to stage2 to w/ meth./water injection. But who knows. I alway put better parts back on my vehicle then the one's that failed. So my GT will always be in the state of modification.

Mike

Honestly Hammer, the 6MTs between the STi and 07/08 SpecBs are not all that different. Yes, they are different, but they aren't long lost cousins 15 times removed.

STI 6MT differs in the following:

- front LSD (B has an open front diff)

- DCCD (which includes torque split and all electronic wizardry it has; B has VDC and a regular VLSD center diff w/ 50/50 split)

- 5th and 6th ratios (which includes different sychros)

- different feeling clutch (have no idea why since some are finding the 07/08 B puts down similar stock torque numbers as a stock STI)

That's enough differences not to call them the same. Put your self in someone shoes, maybe a noob. They read on the forum that the Spec B & STi 6MT are the same. They buy it online or by phone. It come to there home. They check it out. Come to find no LSD, DCCD, & the gearing is different.

Now the gearing you can live with. The DCCD, maybe. But if you track your vehicle or drive spiritly. The DCCD is a good way to tune out your over or under streer, whichever you may have. If you thought you was paying for and not getting a front LSD. I now people would be pissed. And on the phone for refound.

A front LSD is around $800 on up.

http://www.intakeone.com/Cusco/LSDindex.htm

Also, there has to be something to the statement that the B 6MT is quite similar to the STI 6MT if FHI put the R180 pumpkin in the 07/08 B. I mean, why bother if the B 6MT is a lesser quality than the STI 6MT.

One Subaru don't always do what makes sense. And the Spec B's transaxle isn't of lesser quality then the STi's 6MT. Just different enough to not came they the same.

All I'm trying to is to put "GOOD" info. out on the forum.

Mike

DCCD is perhaps nice. But front LSD is the deal maker. Anyone going for the effort of doing 6MT swap, should not bother with SpecB gearbox, unless he can buy it real cheap.

DCCD is perhaps nice. But front LSD is the deal maker. Anyone going for the effort of doing 6MT swap, should not bother with SpecB gearbox, unless he can buy it real cheap.

what he said +a-bajillion, ooooorr... just buy an STI, which is what I might do. Trade my LGT in for an STI. I am seriously thinking about it.

That's enough differences not to call them the same. Put your self in someone shoes, maybe a noob. They read on the forum that the Spec B & STi 6MT are the same. They buy it online or by phone. It come to there home. They check it out. Come to find no LSD, DCCD, & the gearing is different.

Now the gearing you can live with. The DCCD, maybe. But if you track your vehicle or drive spiritly. The DCCD is a good way to tune out your over or under streer, whichever you may have. If you thought you was paying for and not getting a front LSD. I now people would be pissed. And on the phone for refound.

A front LSD is around $800 on up.

http://www.intakeone.com/Cusco/LSDindex.htm

One Subaru don't always do what makes sense. And the Spec B's transaxle isn't of lesser quality then the STi's 6MT. Just different enough to not came they the same.

All I'm trying to is to put "GOOD" info. out on the forum.

Mike

I appreciate that you are trying to put reliable and correct info out there, believe me. To me, it sounded like people are saying the B 6MT is a pile of high-smellin' dung compared to the STI 6MT because of that short list of differences. Hardly the case.

And thats the person's fault for TOTALLY buying into what they find out on an unofficial website like LegacyGT.com without doing some independent research on their own for a purchase as large as a car. Don't pass the buck onto us because said doofus paid for something with ill-knowledge. A boost controller, maybe, but not a car...thats their fault.

I was sincerely hoping that the B would have a front LSD, but with the literature and seeing the B at the NY Auto Show in April of 06 (even tho I was gunning for the STI LTD at the time) I knew what I was getting into. So, I pre-ordered w/o even having driven one; not because I have cash coming out of my ears, but because I checked and was confident in what I researched.

I know the importance and expense of a front LSD...what has partly paid for my B and the mods is a cash cow that I killed just prior: JDM STi Ver8 motor (VF37 TS) / JDM STi Ver7 tranny (nonDCCD) 6mt / 3.9 R160 VLSD all swapped into a 1995 Legacy wagon project. It never got built for a number of reasons that I won't go into....

....needless to say, once I'm done my initial vision for my B, I may just crack the 6MT open and toss in a front LSD.

And yes, I purposely got a nonDCCD STi 6MT for the project...less stuff to buy and deal with during the install.

Another good way to tune out your under/oversteer is with suspension mods. I think I'm coming closer and closer on my B to neutral handling with the mods I've done and I don't have DCCD.

I second what unclemat is saying too.

Seriously Mike, I'm glad to see that you're doing research before blindingly throwing cash to someone online/over the phone and getting what you truely want. And thank you for posting up correct info.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson