LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

How close are the 10-12 LGT 6mt and the 2015-2020 WRX 6mt?

Can I use the shift level w/ cables from a 2020 WRX 6mt on the 2012 LGT 6mt?

The part numbers are different, but they look the same...

I'm sure the lengths won't be an issue. The ends, I can't guarantee if they'll work without knowing what the 10-12 LGT trans looks like.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

We'll find out I guess.

I found a 2012 LGT 6mt for a good price, and a 2020 WRX shifter w/ cables.

I couldn't find anything that would indicate they wouldn't work.

We'll find out... [emoji38]

Keep us updated. More options are always a plus!

Really is cool to have more options, and not ones that start out around $3k. Nice work fellas. I lost the lead on my 6mt unfortunately, but there'll be more.

Any more driving impressions?

After a week of driving there are a couple key notes per se'....

1. The gearing is way more linear I guess I can express it that way. The rpm drop between gears isn't large, so it really keeps the car in its power band.

2. Fuel mileage is noticeable and increased. Until I have my tank replaced, I can't give exact numbers.

3. The shifting is real good for a cable setup. It's not as mechanical/bolt action slide perfect, but it's close and feels good. It's definitely smoother IMO.

4. Reverse takes some getting used too. I'm used to reverse being over by first gear, like a getrag, tremec, or even like GM's T56.

Overall, I'd do this again and again. Price wise, parts commonality, can't beat it on a budget or a very high mileage car with little residual value.

Nice feedback.

That's good to know. If the drop in rpm is not too large between gears, then you could technically shift a bit faster than with our original trans?

Do you feel you are finding yourself shifting gears more often than before?

Nice feedback.

That's good to know. If the drop in rpm is not too large between gears, then you could technically shift a bit faster than with our original trans?

Do you feel you are finding yourself shifting gears more often than before?

Honestly, I tend to skip gears. Usually getting on the highway I blast away with 3rd up to about 4.5k, shift 4th till I hit about 75mph then skip right to 5th and everything is happy, no lugging or anything. Around town I typically keep it in 4th or 5th depending on the road and traffic.

After a week of driving there are a couple key notes per se'....

1. The gearing is way more linear I guess I can express it that way. The rpm drop between gears isn't large, so it really keeps the car in its power band.

This is one thing that annoys me with 05 STI 6MT I have. The RPM drop between 1-2-3 is huge even compared to stock 05 LGT 5MT. I somewhat regret not spending the money and changing the OEM STI gears to LGT SpecB gears when I had the STI tranny rebuilt by RallySpec.

Scottydunno and Infosecdad, are you going to post any pictures? These are first swaps I am aware of when cable shifter are being fit to BL/BP. Would be helpful to others...

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

This is one thing that annoys me with 05 STI 6MT I have. The RPM drop between 1-2-3 is huge even compared to stock 05 LGT 5MT. I somewhat regret not spending the money and changing the OEM STI gears to LGT SpecB gears when I had the STI tranny rebuilt by RallySpec.

Scottydunno and Infosecdad, are you going to post any pictures? These are first swaps I am aware of when cable shifter are being fit to BL/BP. Would be helpful to others...

Scotty did here: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-wrx-6mt-into-05-09-legacy-ob-287486.html

I waiting on mine to be shipped to me, I'll definitely document the process when I do it.

Post #2557 is where I linked my post here. I was trying to not take away from all of the STi 6mt talk here, but I guess it's turning into an all 6mt talk now.

I suggest to open a new thread for MT5/MT6 NON-STI gearboxes.

This thread is really informative, but really lengthy as well.

Would serve people better if not to confuse glass-6MTs with STI-related ones.

I'm fine opening a separate thread for split-case 6mts, but please stop calling them "glass-6mts" unless you have solid evidence why. I think this is part of the reason very few people have tried to use them instead of the STi 6mt. Yes, they aren't built as heavy as the STi 6mt, but I haven't found massive reports of them failing that would support calling them "glass". Please share if you do.

I always assume the people who break transmissions just can't drive them very well

400+ lbs of TQ at the wheels will break things no matter how granny you are with the shifts.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

I'm fine opening a separate thread for split-case 6mts, but please stop calling them "glass-6mts" unless you have solid evidence why. I think this is part of the reason very few people have tried to use them instead of the STi 6mt. Yes, they aren't built as heavy as the STi 6mt, but I haven't found massive reports of them failing that would support calling them "glass". Please share if you do.

Sorry for "glass"-definition. Split case is definitely more appropriate, but I do think that it must be made clear 6MT split vs. STI as those two are _totally_ different transmissions.

I had 5MT before and some people called it "glass-box/transmission". I thought that it was exaggeration as there were lot of 5MTs with decent amount of power.

Honestly 5MT is not a bad box, but it's much more likely to break comparing to STI-6MT. My 5MT lost bolt in front diff which created a hole in casing. I don't know for sure the history of the car, but it was never "tuned" so we're talking standard power, but possibly abusing driving.

Why I'm so adamant to highlight the difference to STI-box is that the 6MT from STI actually IS really one of the really strong transmissions out there regardless of the brand of the vehicle.

By FAR the biggest improvement in my car has been STI-6MT with diff locks (Suretrac+visco+Suretrac). On asphalt this is not that much of a difference at all, but now winter time it's difficult to overemphasize the difference. Sugar coating for all this is the feel of the shifter in STI 6MT - you just WANT to change the gears as it's so addictive and transmission also feels like it will hold.

Coming into corner on snow or ice (or gravel) - flick the clutch and power slide through. Just simply beautiful and an absolute joy to drive :)

5MT with centre+rear visco was nothing like this at all.

400+ lbs of TQ at the wheels will break things no matter how granny you are with the shifts.

For sure double the output and it'll break something or most things eventually, but I assume most of the 5mt & 6mt's are completely fine up to 300whp

What you're really talking about is the difference between the TY856 series (STI solid case 6MT transmissions, which includes the Spec B 6MT) and the TY754 series (split case 5 and 6MT transmssions)

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I swapped a spec B transmission and rear end into my 05 OBXT. I've now removed all parts from the 05, cut up the body and recycled it this past week. I have a clean 08 OBXT AT to transfer everthing into now.

What is the best method to rectify the electronics - ie everything about the swap after the mechanics are solid. For example, should I ground an ECU pin and flash the ecu to a spec B MT version from the same year? Definitely wanting to maintain stock systems such as cruise control, ABS etc.

Sitting by grateful for assistance. I've reached out to many places already and so far only received a mixed bag full of uncertainty. I swapped to 08 desiring of the faster ecu and canbus but am hoping it's not going to hurt me.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

I have been driving my SpecB 3.0r 6mt converted wagon for a while now without issue but when I change gears (especially when driving hard) the engine's revs seem to 'hang' for a brief period before dropping. I can usually be in the next gear and ready to release the clutch before the revs have dropped to a reasonable or matched level, which can be annoying as it jerks the car around.

Has anybody experienced this? I have always wondered if it is related to the C15 auto/man ID wire and pin C14. I originally connected C15 to C14 bt this caused a short ciruit error. So I connected C15 to a chassis ground point, no errors, off I went.

I just tried disconnecting the C15 wire from the chassis and notice zero difference to how to car/engine behaves. I would have thought something would change??

FYI all of my conversion parts were from a 2007 specB, 3.0r 6mt car. So the ECU is correct.

I did not do the full dash wiring loom swap too, I simply added the necessary wires and bypassed the inhibitors etc.

See my post here for what I did: https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6013425&postcount=2469

@crjohnson Maybe you can take a video of it. Your problem sounds like one that the guy in this YouTube video had. I actually bought the car in this video and took the 6MT swap out and put it in my car, also a 2008 3.0R wagon and I don’t have the over-rev problem. Strange how random that is. We never learned the cause of his problem.

Edited by ckwaters
Forgot link