LegacyGT.com

235/40 vs 225/45 -- 17x8" -- summer high perf -- signif handling improv?

caramall2

Oops, forgot it was a wagon.

Not meaning to harp on you, but others might read this thread.

It will not 100% work on every car, it depends on the tire.

I can almost gaurantee that a tire that is about 8 or 9 mm wider (per side) will rub on my car.

Going from a 235 width in a normal tire to a 245 width in a "wide" tire will be at least that much wider per side.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I went the 235/40/17 route (have 17x8 rims) with the Star Specs. They just came in. The contact width (at the tread) is about 9"...about 1" more than my Nitto NT01 R-compounds (225/45 on 7.5 rims). I think my street set up may be better than my track set up ;-) I'm definitely planning to do a few laps on the Dunlops in addition to the Nittos (I've tracked the Nittos before already).

I really think with coilovers, swaybars, the right alignment, etc., our cars can really use a 235 or 245.

Well, I went the 235/40/17 route (have 17x8 rims) with the Star Specs. They just came in. The contact width (at the tread) is about 9"...about 1" more than my Nitto NT01 R-compounds (225/45 on 7.5 rims). I think my street set up may be better than my track set up ;-) I'm definitely planning to do a few laps on the Dunlops in addition to the Nittos (I've tracked the Nittos before already).

I really think with coilovers, swaybars, the right alignment, etc., our cars can really use a 235 or 245.

They should fit fine.

I have the same size re01r and no rubbing no matter what I do.

car for sale. PM me!

I am thinking of purchasing the 245/45R17 or 245/40R17 RE-01R's on clearance at tirerack. What kind of wheels with what kind offset would you recommend for a stock 05 Sedan with stock suspension so that there are no rubbing issues?

2005 Legacy GT 5MT

Buy my stuff Here

So I can build my 6.0L V8 Legacy GT Here

First, see Xenonk's sticky on tires and rims (go to wheels/tires, then look for his sticky).

Second, I'm no expert but I've read lots of threads and have asked lots of people questions. The general feel I get is:

245/40/17 are a real tight fit from what I read. You need a fairly wide wheel too for that wide of a tire. You may get by with a 8" wheel, but probalby 8.5 would be better, 9 good too. I think +48 would be good, but you can check Xenonk's thread. Depending on tire brand, width can vary a lot (to give you and example, Dunlop Z1s 235/40/17 are 9" wide at the tread/contact surface, and 9.6 at the widest point further up the sidewall). I chickened out over concerns of rubbing and went with 235/40/17, but if you roll your fender lips and have the right offset, then you may get by without rubbing but I'm not sure on that. You're higher than me being on stock suspension, but there's also the concern of rubbing on the suspension itself. A few guys have told me the tire would be too big, a few have said it would be ok and they're running them.

245/45/17: You would not want to go that large of a diamter…way bigger diameter than stock (and the 245/40/17 is already bigger diameter than stock).

• 2 weeks later...
245/40 on a 17x8 fit perfect on my car. I had to pull the rear rubber trim piece on the fender to give the extra couple mm of clearance but I have no issues. Lowered on Bilsteins/H techs.

What offset, what tire?

i just got my G-Forces 17x8s today with star spec z1s. the tires are 235/40/17. i'm sure i should have no issues im on complete stock suspension right now. ill let you guys know how it fits hopefully by this weekend. im getting too anxious to put em on..but forecast shows snow on sunday/monday.

Archived