LegacyGT.com

D stock Legacy GT

BlackGT05

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am currently setting up my car to run it in D stock auto x. Anyone else daring this? I have a set of Hoosiers and a 25mm Perrin front swaybar so far. Car has drastically improved handling wise the bar. The bar creates nice oversteer which makes the car all the more controllable. I have yet to run on the Hoosiers though. Last year i ran on Dunlop Star Spec's and was doing very well.

You must mean "rear" sway bar. Can't believe on one else caught bthis.

Living Legacy:

Lighter and wider wheels will help greatly with acceleration. The tire size must be 245 wide or less to avoid moving up in class. There are several good street tires so you don't need the race compound tires.

They let you drive with the windows up? We have to have the front windows down. Plus it is too hot to have all the windows up.

You must mean "rear" sway bar. Can't believe on one else caught bthis.

Front sway + aggressive alignment + tire pressure = lift off oversteer if done right.

The Legacy can be in a few different classes depending on mods:

D-stock, STU, ESP, SM

I'm in ESP which is a race tire class but I just autox to have fun and I mod the car more for HPDE anyway.

Living Legacy:

Lighter and wider wheels will help greatly with acceleration. The tire size must be 245 wide or less to avoid moving up in class. There are several good street tires so you don't need the race compound tires.

They let you drive with the windows up? We have to have the front windows down. Plus it is too hot to have all the windows up.

I'm running 235/40 RE-01R's and most clubs around here let you run with the windows up.

Th3Franz why have I not seen you auto X, where do you go? Thanks for the classing info!

• 8 months later...

New season is soon, so I'm gonna bump this.

So what's the largest FSB out there? I used to run an 1" thick one in my previous two subies and would probably like something similar, but might opt for smth adjustable.

I figured that it would be my only mod for now, along with alignment. And maybe some new tires (and wheels if I could find anything worthy) once I kill the stockers some time over the summer.

Yep...I think this year it's time to get a better alignment and FSB...

Franz, are you talking about the 22mm adjustable whiteline? I see that you can source this for us through subyshop.com, are there any bigger adjustable sways for the legacy (that you know of or can get)?

Is this sway bar hollow or solid? Why do you suggest this one in particular?

EDUCATE ME!!! ;)

The whiteline bars are solid. The bar is physically 22 mm thick, but since it is adjustable you can adjust the mechanical advantage on the bar to effectively get a different rate.

Perrin makes solid 25mm adjustable bars for the LGT, also. I run Cusco solid bars (23/21) on my personal LGT but Clint really likes the Whiteline ones for his STI.

The Whiteline sways fit great and have a durable finish. They would be my recommendation (front & rear) for street tires. The Perrins are a good option if you absolutely need sway bars that big, but keep in mind that a 25mm front and 16mm stock rear bar might not get the balance you want, even with the improvements to the dynamic camber curve.

The Legacy bars fit the 08+ WRX hatch, so I would guess that the 24mm Whiteline front bar would fit the Legacy GT, but I have not confirmed it.

-Franz

The Legacy bars fit the 08+ WRX hatch, so I would guess that the 24mm Whiteline front bar would fit the Legacy GT, but I have not confirmed it.

-Franz

I just asked them on their forum. They say it will fit, they just don't recommend it for some other reasons.

Did a search but couldn't find exact answer:

What's a good target for maximum negative camber up front on a stock kingofcars spec.b suspension? Need this is in case the alignment shop gets too lazy and does not try hard enough to get me close to the right ballpark.

At stock ride height if you get camber bolts, you might be able to get a little more than -1 camber up front.. -1.2 on a good day probably

-Franz

Now that we're on the subject, anyone want to share some insight into their daily driving (alignment) setup? If I recall correctly the last time I got an alignment there was something that wasn't adjustable...

Also, regarding camber, I thought I had my camber around -1 (everything is stock). I expected to have abnormal wear, but I ended up wearing out the outsides of the tires (likely due to auto X and nasty turns). Does this seem likely? Aside from suspension work or eliminating auto X, is there any other way to cure this?

Thanks in advance!

^ what's your toe?

And any chance you remember how much camber you had on stock suspension, if you ever ran such? ;)

In general I think 1-1.5 negative camber shouldn't show-up in tire wear on the inside edge, unless there's toe-out.

Living Legacy

With a stock set up the outside of the tires, especially up front with soft tires, will wear out pretty quick. Last summer I ran stock springs, Direzzas, camber bolts up front with about -1.0 camber and 0 toe. I ran an autocross event for a day and a half on an aggressive concrete surface and the outside shoulder of the front tire became heavily worn. During the run I also noticed the outside of the tire was much hotter than the inside which would be expected from the observed wear. Obviously the front tires were tilted out during most of the run. There are 2 ways to cure the problem, keep the stock springs and run camber plates up front to get more static camber or increase spring rate to help minimize front dive and dynamic camber loss. I ended up running stiffer springs but have not run the car on the track to see what improvements were made.

^ thanks for the info guys.

I ran RE-01R's and still seriously wore down the outsides of the tires :spin:

Once I replace the sway bar/end links I'll get an alignment done to max out the negative camber-Franze, you suggest 1/8th toe out, any other input regarding the alignment?

Next thing I'll tackle is the brakes-HPS or HP+ pads on Brembo Blank rotors.

I'm also thinking about getting some new wheels (17X7) for some race rubber :)

Gonna be a good year!

Archived