LegacyGT.com

DIY: YourLEDShop LED FlexiStrip

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree. I want it under the headlights but am not going to oven it again... had enough of that shiz.

Unfortunately it seems placing it below but outside the headlights causes bumper misalign as cliff has mentioned...

waiting to see if anyone was able to mount these below the headlights without taking the headlight apart...

For anyone wondering -

These suckers are *bright* ! :D

I hooked them up to my daughter's 12V power-cart just 10 minutes ago, to pre-test, and they're bright enough that I was decently impressed.

This is gonna be cool. I'm excited. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Agree. I want it under the headlights but am not going to oven it again... had enough of that shiz.

Unfortunately it seems placing it below but outside the headlights causes bumper misalign as cliff has mentioned...

I just ordered some strips from Oznium.com

I'm going to try under the headlights when they come in. I have these on my bike and it seems as if you tuck them back a lil bit behind the bumper under the headlight, it seems as if the round LED part will still fit/shine through just fine

I'll let ya know in a few days and post pics IF it works:lol:

I have 2 differnt version OZM and Superbrightleds OZM are rated at 8000MCD but I havent seen the ratings for these guys here the lower watage strips are going on the interior for accent lighting.

Mr. Luv.....is that what your using? Oznium? If so they look pretty bright....you satisfied with they're quality? (i hope so haha, i got some for the car and more for the bike)
Mr.350

Are they brighter then these guys?

http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips

I honestly don't know....without a direct side-by-side comparison, I honestly have no idea.

Since Oznium has colors, I'll likely make a purchase with them in the near future, when I decide to throw some bling on Anna's go-cart. :p I'll order a small strip of "white" for some other car-projects, then I can compare.

My best guess is that intensity/output and color are all very similar.

---

I'm going to try under the headlights when they come in. I have these on my bike and it seems as if you tuck them back a lil bit behind the bumper under the headlight, it seems as if the round LED part will still fit/shine through just fine

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1709240&page=9

ICE_COLD on NASIOC shoved them in there, without taking off the bumper or the headlight, it seems?

With our factory headlamps, at least on the '05s, IIRC, there's a black portion on the underside.....maybe if you removed the headlamp completely, cut that out....that'll look like a hybrid "in and out" setup, which I imagine would also look really clean.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

WOW Oznium is CHEAP AS DIRT!! The prices on here are ridiculous...

The product they sell is very similiar to ours, we have not tried their product personally.

As far as pricing, our prices still beat theirs on the 24cm (9.5") and the 48cm (19") led strips.

Their 24cm strips are $11.49 X 2=$22.98+4.20 for shipping = 27.18

their 48cm strips are also more than our strips.

Sorry for thread jacking, Not the intent, I what are the spec's on yours I would love to be a customer.

The product they sell is very similiar to ours, we have not tried their product personally.

As far as pricing, our prices still beat theirs on the 24cm (9.5") and the 48cm (19") led strips.

Their 24cm strips are $11.49 X 2=$22.98+4.20 for shipping = 27.18

their 48cm strips are also more than our strips.

Mr.350

Took about an hour - and that's including all the details like prepping the stickied areas with alcohol ( fitting, with St. Paddy's :lol: ) and hot-gluing the cut ends.

That's also with a 3-year-old toddler asking unending questions as to what I was doing, as well as asking to play every 5 minutes. :lol:

I had pre-existing wiring to work with, from my RPM CCFL DDEs, which made things easier in that I was able to splice into each respective side's pre-transformer-box inputs for power and ground (this means that I now also have a built-in fuse safety, as I added one with that kit) - but the time I saved here is pretty much a wash, as I "hardwire" everything, not using connectors (i.e. Vamp- or T-Taps) of any type, which is a bit tedious.

No pictures tonight, but my setup very closely resembles that of suzysube's ( see post #44, on http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107062&page=3 ).

I don't want to post pix before I'm totally satisfied, and I still need a couple of adjustments - there's an LED positioned right at my fender-to-hood gap, and that is unseemly ( no pun intended! :redface: ), and the passenger's side needs a tweak to make its dispersal more "even."

Currently, the way I have my strips placed, it's even more subdued and subtle than that of suzysube's. It's recessed just inboard of the headlight's top weatherstripping. Pretty much, from any angle other than straight-front (as viewed from another vehicle, down-road), you don't see much of this mod at all, despite its brightness (akin to that of my CCFL DDEs, but note that my DDE halos' brightness is considerably blunted by my use of the LaserVEIL G4 coating on my headlamps). It's nice and subtle, and very well compliments the halos.

^ But that's purely subjective. :)

I will likely simply black-out the offending LED at the fender-to-hood seam.

I haven't yet decided if I want to bring the LEDs more forward (more out towards the headlamp lens surface) to render more light......

Sorry guys, no pix yet. :) I didn't want to show something that I really haven't finished. :redface:

DarkOblivion, I'll likely just use electrical tape. Either that, or move the entire assembly "one space over." ;)

The electrical tape might actually look better - given that it'll completely obstruct light from that area, instead of just moving the assembly "down one."

I did a rough-draft of the electrical-tape work, and also relocated my strips a little more "forward" towards the hoodline/headlight gap.

Looks almost exactly like that of suzysube's setup.

Hopefully pix tonight. :)

Sorry - no pix yet. :redface:

But here's some help for those who are somewhat confused as to "where to install" - I originally posted this on NASIOC, to address that very question.

Y_I_K_E_S and haku, I'm using the usual 3M Automotive Trim/Molding Tape, pre-cleaning everything with high-grade alcohol ("rubbing"/isopropyl alcohol from the local drug-store will do just as well).

Adhesion is very good, at least at this early stage.

I did this mod to my '05 Legacy 2.5GT (BL chassis).

I initially applied the taped strip to the plastic of the headlight housing, aligning the flat portion of the strip (at the "base" of the "Lego bubble" of the LED blister) with the rubber weatherstripping of the headlight unit.

This made for a very, very subtle set of lines at the top of the headlamp housing only, with virtually no light coming through by the time the strips have "turned the corner" at the inboard edge, near the grill.

I then repositioned them so that the "Lego bubbles" were lined up at the very edge of the weatherstripping. This caused too much of the "bubbles" to be exposed, and also did not allow the hood to latch.

My final placement is harder to explain in words. :o

Take a close look at the weatherstripping that lays atop each headlamp. You'll want to do this in good lighting.

Given that you've got at least *some* road-use of your vehicle (may be difficult on '09s or late-purchase '08s), you should see a faint exposure/dirt line where the hood comes just short of the weatherstripping.....THAT is the line with which I aligned the leading edge of the "Lego blisters," and it achieved a result that's very, very similar to that of suzysube's ( http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2341179&postcount=13 ), which I consider ideal.

If you look closely at the second picture in the initial post of this thread, on page 1, you can almost see what I'm talking about, above.

With my car, I cut off 9 LEDs from the end from the 48-cm strip, and ended-up also taping-over the first and last LED of the strip. This allowed for a span of light that goes precisely from the fender-to-hood seam line at the outboard corner all the way to the hood-bumper seam line, inboard, without excess light spill (some of which you can see in suzysube's picture, at the inboard corners).

Hope this helps!

Archived