LegacyGT.com

Timing Belt Replacement 2.5T

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always heard 100K is an average benchmark for timing belt replacement for all cars that use them.

And which side of "err" do you think that is? Since I have not heard of a "rash" of failures, I submit it is on the safe side and the belt can go for more miles but it's not something you want to push your luck with. I am perfectly comfortable with 100K miles as a swap point. Hell, why not do it at 30K since that's TWICE as safe as 60k ;)

• 4 months later...
Contact Fred Beans Suby. I heard more than once ppl mention that the STI and our belt carries the same part number.

Confirmed....same part number..

yes, but there is also a 'heavy duty' STi-brand belt. reinforced, but i don't believe it is kevlar.

when i was shopping belts, it was by far the most expensive of all the aftermarket replacement options.

I settled on a PE kevlar II belt, which looks very much like a re-licensed gates; happy with it thus far after some 10k or so.

You have to remove the auto tensioner in the process. Most people will not have the proper tool to compress it, therefore just replace it and be done.

Put it in a vise, SLOWLY compress it and insert the appropriate size pin or drill bit to hold it closed. :)

Pics are back!:)

Maybe it was my work computer?

I made a tool to hold the driver's side cams together, I'll add a pic when I replace the belt.

Any one know the torque on the harmonic balancer bolt for reinstallation? Use blue loctite?

Put it in a vise, SLOWLY compress it and insert the appropriate size pin or drill bit to hold it closed. :)

Too late...Already threw out the old one....Next time I'll recycle to save the planet...:lol:

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Subaru is very adamant about not using a horizontal vise...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting...thanks for putting together an informative post.

I have a couple of questions;

On a 2009 2.5na, what is a realistic life expectancy of the belt under normal driving conditions?

Also, can anyone recommend a good Sub shop in the eastern Pa (berks) area?

Thanks in advance!

Not sure why you would replace the belt and not the tensioner. Mine was leaking at 68k.

BTW, I got my entire timing kit w/ Gates race belt, all pulleys & water pump off ebay for $315 shipped.

If anyone wants to buy a new Gates timing belt I have one for sale....

I have the belt for sale from the Gates Timing Kit. I purchased the kit and their Racing Belt separately so I no longer need the belt that came in the kit....at least not until my 210k service lol.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-3690/Gates-Subaru-Legacy-GT/Detail

• 2 weeks later...
So, if I take the belt off, the driver's side cams are going to move slightly? I've read the vacation pix a few times, but I'm still not sure if it's ok to let them move, or not? And if they move on their own, I need to move them back only in the proper direction? Thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Just use a pair of vise grips to hold the top cam to the bottom cam. Worked fine for me last week.

This means vice grips clamping the upper pulley to the lower pulley on both sides? I wonder if some quick clamps would work as well....

-Rob