LegacyGT.com

17" or 18" Tarmac II's

Kaptan

Ok I finally decided on Rims for my Legacy GT. Now, I can't decide which size rim to go with. There is not much of a price difference between the 17" and 18" Tarmac II's. My car is my daily driver and I will most likely only be going to the track 3X/year. I know the 18" look better and the 17" will be slightly better performance-wise. Help sway me on my final decision. Either way, I think I will be mounting Pirelli M&S tires.

Subydude.com convinced me to go with the 18's. I'll just switch the wheels when I go to the track even though I don't think it will be that much of a difference. I'm going with the Falken 512's now instead of the Pirelli's. Wheel/Tire package is too good to pass up. I checked the weights of the Pirelli vs. the Falken and the Falkens are about 1.5 lbs. less. 23.1 lb Pirelli and 21.6 lb Falken. Looks like I will still be close to stock wheel weight when all is said and done!

K -

nice choice. i have the 18" Rota TIIs with the Falken tires. the only feedback that I would offer you is to recognize in advance that your ride is going to get harsher. assuming you went with 225/40/18s like i did, the lower profile sidewall (and higher tire pressure) really does make the car ride firmer. you will feel every pothole and cringe each time hoping that your tire/rim is not damaged. i've already had to replace one tire for a sidewall "bubble" that developed after a nasty pothole encounter. the good news is that the Rota rims seem tough. there wasn't a mark on it where the bubble popped up.

I'm running the Tarmac IIs in 18" w/ Pirelli PZero Nero M&S, and the compliance is pretty good. You feel more feedback, but it's not extreme. Different tires will vary on the sidewall stiffness, however.

Subydude.com convinced me to go with the 18's. I'll just switch the wheels when I go to the track even though I don't think it will be that much of a difference. I'm going with the Falken 512's now instead of the Pirelli's. Wheel/Tire package is too good to pass up. I checked the weights of the Pirelli vs. the Falken and the Falkens are about 1.5 lbs. less. 23.1 lb Pirelli and 21.6 lb Falken. Looks like I will still be close to stock wheel weight when all is said and done!

I don't know where you got your weights for the tires, but I have 215/40/18's

Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S's and they weigh 21 pounds each.

With 18x7.5 inch rims, these tires are only .1 inch taller than the stock RE-92's which weigh 23 pounds and the stock wheels weigh 19.5 pounds.

I don't know where you got your weights for the tires, but I have 215/40/18's

Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S's and they weigh 21 pounds each.

With 18x7.5 inch rims, these tires are only .1 inch taller than the stock RE-92's which weigh 23 pounds and the stock wheels weigh 19.5 pounds.

I got my weights from the Pirelli customer service, 1-800-747-3554. I also got the weight on the Falken 512's from their customer service, 1-800-723-2553. You can call to verify. I gave them the model and tire size and they told me the weight. The tire size that I got the weight for was 225/40/18 so I'm sure there is a difference in weight from the 2 sizes.

Archived