LegacyGT.com

HOW TO: Fix your heated seat

Wow, great walk through! I have been waiting a while for someone to post this exact thing, since my seat heater is shot. But now that it's posted...I'm kind of...disappointed. Because there's no way in hell I'm going to attempt this now.

So, in short: thank you for helping me not destroy my seat by trying this.

+1...I sure am glad my extended warranty is going to cover this - I'm getting this repaired, both rear bearings replaced and ac/heater motor replaced all for a $100 deductible.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got this done today, total time was about an hour and a half from start to finish. I followed the steps exactly until it got to the part about removing the seat cushion. After i got the first 6 hog rings out I just pull the old element out and slid the new one in. This saved a bunch of time, I definitely would not attempt this without that specialty tool. Not really as hard as it looks, pretty straight forward, and be careful when your taking your seat in and out of the car, i put a nick in my vynil and a scratch in my window. :( but at least my butt is warm!

ah ok, I got a quote today that the bottom element is around $90?! is that right?

btw, where did you guys order your hog rings and hog ring pliers?

Thanks

yes it's close to $90 i got mine from fred beans, one of the sponsors here, also I borrowed the hog ring pliers and the hog rings from a mechanic friend of mine, they are pretty common place at any dealership.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My seat has suddenly developed some play, in the sense that at stop lights, upon coming to a complete stop, sometimes the whole thing leans forward and then back. Just a little bit, but enough to hear and more than anything, feel it.

As such I think I'm going to have to take the seat out and inspect all the screws, to make sure none got loose. Any pointers which I should look for that would definitely be the culprit?

Also, for the wires you have to disconnect, are they designed in such a way that you can't accidentally swap them, or do you have to label them?

I would say most likely it's one of the two screws on each side right by the main hinge. I unbolted it so I could squeeze the seat cover out to pull it off. It rocks like you describe it. Unfortunately you have to rip off the back of the seat cover to get to those screws.

All the plugs are unique so you can't swap 'em around.. just really difficult/tricky to figure out how to disconnect :)

• 3 weeks later...
I did it a while ago to replace torn leather upholstery on the bottom cushion. It's bit of a pain, takes some patience but isn't really that bad. I can think of harder projects I did on the car. And I didn't even have new hog rings or hog ring pliers... good knipex mechanics pliers did the trick :)

Btw, looks like I'll have to do it on my other LGT again (seat heater died). I don't want to repeat the ghetto and reuse the hog rings.

Where did you buy new ones? What is the correct size?

• 2 months later...

Great walkthrough! that doesn't look so bad at all. I'm going to have to give it a shot on my gf's sus.

btw, heres a link to find hog ring pliers hope its helpful!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?keyword=hog+ring

2012 Xterra Pro-4X

2003 Outback Sedan Limited

D.U.S.T.O.F.F.

"Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the write up! My back element died recently but I'm not sure I'm up for this. Then again, it's a Sunday night and I'm tired so maybe another day I'll feel more up to it.

I saw a part number posted (64111AG14A). Is this for the bottom element or the back element?

Cheers!

Thanks for the write up! My back element died recently but I'm not sure I'm up for this. Then again, it's a Sunday night and I'm tired so maybe another day I'll feel more up to it.

I saw a part number posted (64111AG14A). Is this for the bottom element or the back element?

Cheers!

64111AG14A is the bottom element.

I have never donw the back but the bottom wasn't bad, you have to have the tools tho. Also gotta be careful when taking the seat out not to scratch anything.

• 3 weeks later...
does anyone know what it would take to add the entire heated seat system into a car that isn't equipped with them? I can deal with adding in the heating elements and I realize that I'd need the switch as well. I suspect there are relays and some wiring that I might need. Is anyone familiar with the system that can tell me what to look for?

• 3 weeks later...

there's some hope for the frozen-assed few astounded and terrified by the op's thorough and impressive method; did the following last night, warmer works like new:

undo rear seat anchor,

reach in to tug cloth warmer unit back out one inch or so,

feel for stat in cloth,

resolder the broken wire(s),

tuck back in,

reattach anchor.

>1 hour :)

Edited by underpowerd
sp

• 3 weeks later...

This is an interesting job to say the least. Not too bad but I have never fiddled with upholstery to that extent before. Those hog rings take some practice to get used to.

If you can handle something like a stereo installation this job is very doable IMO.

Thanks a TON for the great write-up schwartzki!

wow that is no joke...good job with the write-up. I'm having issues with noisy springs in both the back and bottom of driver seat. Don't even weigh that much and I still seemed to wear out the springs already.