LegacyGT.com

AndrewZ's new 05 XT Limited

AndrewZ

Hey guys & gals,

This is my first Subaru and I love it so far! It's not as fast and doesn't handle close to my old daily driver but I love the colors, the image, the ride, the trans ... :wub:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63182&stc=1&d=1233517559

One of the tires is mismatched so next weekend I will be buying 4 new tires. I've already gotten one vote for Nokians here, anyone else have suggestions for all season tires? I'm on the boarder of Wisconsin and Illinois but might move to Colorado or Montana next year so I need something capable in the snow. I'm also used to well handling cars so I would like something stiffer than softer. Tread wear would be some concern too, no super stickies :D

The only thing about the car that I notice is with the radio off there's some transmission whine in 2nd and 3rd. Is that normal? First and reverse sound great. It only makes a whine when in gear so I don't think it's the differentials.

Oh, this is also my first all wheel drive car :D And my first manual daily driver. The only other manual I've driven is my 60's brit car so I'm not sure what the transmission shoud sound like.

Any tips or comments would be cool :cool:

Oh and I'm glad to be on the Subaru wagon now and thanks for havin' me http://legacygt.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

newsubaru.jpg.b2285245f447164115a0e2f371110a2b.jpg

Welcome!

Thanks el5y :)

Oh I forgot to mention that it has almost 43 thousand miles.

And unfortunately it doesn't have the usermanual. I've found some on ebay that say LEGACY 05 OUTBACK 05 and others that just say LEGACY 05 on the front but they sell them as for both legacy and outback. Is there an Outback specific one? Is there really a difference between the LEGACY 05 OUTBACK 05 manual and the one that only says LEGACY 05 on it? Seems kind of strange that they would bother printing one specific to the Legacy when they are printing ones that are common to both cars.

:D In the mean time I am finding all sorts of reasons to drive the car. Once it warms up a bit I will check the banjo bolt filters and change the front diff/trans and rear diff fluids with synthetic gear oil (I get a bit of a discount ordering direct from Amsoil). I'm assuming I can put the 75W90 Amsoil gear oil in both the differentials and the transmission like we do for RX-7's.

So ... I have ~43 thousand miles and no maintenance records. The (not a Subaru) dealership I bought it from changed the oil before I bought it. What should I check out? Is there a list of "Stage 0" stuff to do?

Many thanks for reading & the kind welcomes!

Andrewhttp://legacygt.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

And unfortunately it doesn't have the usermanual. I've found some on ebay that say LEGACY 05 OUTBACK 05 and others that just say LEGACY 05 on the front but they sell them as for both legacy and outback. Is there an Outback specific one? Is there really a difference between the LEGACY 05 OUTBACK 05 manual and the one that only says LEGACY 05 on it? Seems kind of strange that they would bother printing one specific to the Legacy when they are printing ones that are common to both cars.

:DIn the mean time I am finding all sorts of reasons to drive the car. Once it warms up a bit I will check the banjo bolt filters and change the front diff/trans and rear diff fluids with synthetic gear oil (I get a bit of a discount ordering direct from Amsoil). I'm assuming I can put the 75W90 Amsoil gear oil in both the differentials and the transmission like we do for RX-7's.

So ... I have ~43 thousand miles and no maintenance records. The (not a Subaru) dealership I bought it from changed the oil before I bought it. What should I check out? Is there a list of "Stage 0" stuff to do?

Many thanks for reading & the kind welcomes!

Andrew

Welcome,

Nice looking ride, glad to hear you are enjoying it! As for your questions…

I’d recommend some Nokian WRG2’s based on research I’ve done and your stated requirements. My only hesitation would be that they may be a little ‘soft’ handling for you. The only real way around this, and maintain decent winter performance, is a second set of tires though. Anything that is going to provide ‘firm’ handling is going to be a compromised winter tire.

The owners manual will say Legacy on it, but covers both models. Here is a link to it online, but you may need to be signed in to ‘mysubaru’ to access it. You may want to sign up, its free and a good resource.

As for gear oil, just a caution on what you use in the front transaxle. The transmission and front differential share the same oil, but have slightly different requirements of the oil. Your owners manual will tell you to use a GL-5 rated oil, so in that respect, yes, a regular 75W-90 gearoil will meet Subaru’s requirements. Generally the EP additives so important to the differential gears are not so well liked by the softer metals of the synchronizers in the manual transmission, and some gear oils (with friction modifiers for Limited Slip units) will make it difficult for synchronizer to do their job, since they rely on friction to work.

That being said, Redline offers a 75W90 gearoil called 75W90NS that does not have the friction modifiers and is recommended for transaxle type use, so you may want to check and see if Amsoil has a similar product (I’m not that familiar with their product line, and use Redline products myself). I’ve also heard that Mobil One recommends against the use of their gear oil’s in Subaru transaxles because of a high failure rate (search around there are threads on this).

To make the gear oil choice even more complicated, some people choose to run a ‘cocktail’ of gear oils in the transaxle (I’ve been happy with this approach). The most popular combination seems to be one that a tuner (can’t remember which one at the moment) ‘brewed’ and endorses. It is One Quart Redline MTL, One Quart Redline Lightweight Shockproof Gear Oil, and the remainder Redline 75W90NS. I actually run this cocktail, but with the Heavy Shockproof substituted for the light weight. I’ve been happy with its performance (Around 75K miles now) down to around 20 degrees. Below that (down to about 5 degrees is the limit of my experience) it is still fine, but a tad bit notchy till it warms up. I would expect the use of the light weight would improve the low temperature performance even more.

As for what to do to it. I always like to baseline new (used) vehicles, go through and change all the fluids, filters, belts hoses (if needed), check brakes, rotors, etc. I don’t know how you like the brakes on your car, but I always found them to be a bit weak. Just a simple change in pads has made a world of difference for me (I’m running Hawk HPS and happy with them), and there are other options depending upon how much increase in performance you are after (Legacy GT front swap, and aftermarket options)…

If you haven’t found it yet, don’t forget to check out SubaruOutback.org as well, another great site full of Outback Enthusiasts, but you will find more ‘high performance’ advice and talk around here…

~Scott & Nadia

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

225/60HR16 Bridgestone G009's

Hey LGT,

Thanks everyone for the advice

I've really been enjoying the Outback! I've finally got a hang of the clutch and I love how the car drives. Today I put in a perrin air filter too which was neat - though it doesn't sound nearly as cool as the dump valve I just sold from my Volvo. It kind of sounds like I'm putting the clutch in without lifting the gas.

Do you think Amsoil Severe Gear 75W90 is good for the trans and rear end? We have 6 or 7 quarts already and I think that'd be best as long as there aren't any wierd Subaru trans issues. http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx

Thanks everyone for looking and any advice :)

Kind Regards,

Andrew

Also,

I checked into my.subaru and the owner's manual I downloaded from there is only 38 pages long. It's missing all the specific pages, including 11-36 on Front Differential oil. Could someone give me the front and rear capacities?

Thanks,

Andrew

• 10 months later...

Two months ago I added these:

Front LGT calipers, which I rebuilt and sprayed silver

LGT rotors and pads, cheapo ebay stuff

ATE "super blue racing" brake fluid - all I had other than silicone in the garage

I was a little worried about getting the no-name rotors and pads off of ebay. It's been about two months now, though, and I'm happy enough with them. Braking is better than the stock setup was. I'm always on the lookout of course for cracking on the rotors because they were inexpensive. The pads bite well, I've pushed them a few times to see if they would fade - they're pretty good about it but the pads smell horrible early

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78464&d=1262282347

newcalipers.jpg.a20e7bfcf7e35b37e745fa65e0fcc16c.jpg

Hey Andrew...you seem a good local boy. I can hook you up with the pages you want. And a few more. But i cannot spare the VAG cable however.

Thanks for the offer, but I was able to download the full version of the owner's manual from their site.

On Saturday I'll be installing an ACT streetlight flywheel and new OEM clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing. If they are quick to ship, I'll also be putting in equal length headers and a new up-pipe. Then should China be quick to deliver I will be able to flash the ecu. I'll post when I have new updates

Changing the engine oil, rear diff fluid and coolant tomorrow. Some other random things I've done with the car so far are trans fluid, spark plugs (NGK IX iridiums), tires (kumho - horrible in the snow) and silencer removal. I'm going to reinstall the intake silencer in anticipation of it interfering with tuning like I've read so far

I was able to buy them through this forum from a vendor who had a spare set lying around. I've seen some other members in the market place who've put theirs up for sale before. I used rebuild kits from rock auto. There wasn't any real reason to rebuild them other than they were already off the car.

I'd bought OEM subaru coolant (+ conditioner) to replace my coolant, I decided last night I may as well do it right and replace the hoses and thermostat while I'm at it. OBX silicone radiator hoses are en route

Thanks for the offer, but I was able to download the full version of the owner's manual from their site.

On Saturday I'll be installing an ACT streetlight flywheel and new OEM clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing. If they are quick to ship, I'll also be putting in equal length headers and a new up-pipe. Then should China be quick to deliver I will be able to flash the ecu. I'll post when I have new updates

Changing the engine oil, rear diff fluid and coolant tomorrow. Some other random things I've done with the car so far are trans fluid, spark plugs (NGK IX iridiums), tires (kumho - horrible in the snow) and silencer removal. I'm going to reinstall the intake silencer in anticipation of it interfering with tuning like I've read so far

There is no ACT street lite flywheel that matches the LGT clutch unless it is a WRX clutch. What shop is doing the install ?

The intake silencer got nothing to do with the tune; rather the problems are caused by aftermarket intakes....not by the removal of the silencer.

The NGK Iridium IX are not the exact match for the car especially if you bought LFR6AIX-11, 6619 (for the STI). And if you bought them at Murrays they don't even know that part, their system shows the shorter plugs for 2.0 turbo Impreza. You will need to regap them IF you have the above plugs - ask me how I know.

How much was the manual ? I bet ya many of us could have given it to you for free.

There is no ACT street lite flywheel that matches the LGT clutch unless it is a WRX clutch. What shop is doing the install ?

It may very well be a WRX clutch, I bought the kit from fredbeansparts. They came today and the clutch and pressure plate match the flywheel, that is the contact area of the clutch disk is the same as the flywheel and the bolt pattern and pins on the flywheel matches the pressure plate. Clutch disk and pressure plate are both made by Exedy, the clutch disk reads "9K07" and "30100AA881"

I'll be doing the install myself. I'm a mechanic for a couple SCCA club racing cars aside from having my own toy and have done 'one or two' engine builds and clutch replacements. I went ahead and ordered a torx-plus 50 bit too so I can remove the flywheel.

The intake silencer got nothing to do with the tune; rather the problems are caused by aftermarket intakes....not by the removal of the silencer.

On RomRaider's forums I've seen people having problems with knock fixed by replacing the intake silencer

The NGK Iridium IX are not the exact match for the car especially if you bought LFR6AIX-11, 6619 (for the STI). And if you bought them at Murrays they don't even know that part, their system shows the shorter plugs for 2.0 turbo Impreza. You will need to regap them IF you have the above plugs - ask me how I know.

I did indeed buy them at Murrays/Oriely. You're right, I had to gap them. Some of the gaps were too large. To their credit, the autolites I bought first at autozone were outrageously gapped, some of them with the iridium tip and the electrode touching. I've had them in the car for a couple thousand miles and are working great. The spark plugs externally resembled the ones I removed from the car.

NGK BKR5EIX-11

How much was the manual ? I bet ya many of us could have given it to you for free.

I got it from the my.subaru website. Originally when I would download the manual from their site it was the index only. I emailed them and they now have the right one up.

---

Thanks for looking out, f1anatic. I think I'm safe with the clutch/flywheel combo and the plugs for now

---

I'm so-far very happy with the Outback, especially now that the squealing noise is gone. I've been a little disappointed with the performance but that should soon be settled. One of my biggest gripes was how slow the revs drop, which should be solved by the new flywheel.

Hopefully the new up-pipe and headers won't make the car noticeably louder, my last street car was a sleeper and I would like the Subaru to stay that way. I'm also very excited about being able to tune my car through the obd-II port with my laptop. I've tuned and do regular changes through the race season to a motec ecu along with weber carburetors/ignition timing/cam timing on my toy car so I have experience, though I will of course need to get a wideband o2 sensor if I want to get courageous.

NGK BKR5EIX-11

BKR are the shorter Impreza 2.0 T plugs. If that is what the car had, they were the incorrect product. If that is what you put in, it is again the incorrect product.

LFR6AIX-11 (p/n 6619) is what you want, properly gapped to 0.32. There is an even better matched part number that comes with longer life and are properly gapped. But if you want the Iridium IX series, you want the LFR6AIX-11, but they are gapped 0.44 from factory so that needs to be changed. There is about half an inch difference in length between the BKR and the LFR. They will simply spark while still not into the combustion chamber. You will be down on power and carbon buildup will certainly make your car work badly very soon.

No need to believe me - we're all strangers here for the most part. But this is what happened to me in October 2009. And a call to NGK clarified things.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1867606&highlight=f1anatic+NGK

Hey f1anatic,

Thanks for the input!! I'll definitely go ahead and get the right plugs.

So far with the engine and trans, last night I got the new flywheel, clutch and pressure plate along with the throwout bearing on but got called into work. I still have to mate the engine and trans. I'm going out of town tomorrow morning so will attach the two on Sunday.

Headers, uppipe and hoses have arrived. Subaru should be back on the road tomorrow. Forge dump/recirc valve on the way now

Edit: new axle on the way now too. Passenger boot was torn

Another edit, to avoid triple posting: The Outback is back on the street and healthy, except for the torn boot

• 1 month later...

Archived