LegacyGT.com

Hideous noises under hood...

So I hope this is the correct forum for this, and if not I apologize, but I need some advice.

Background: 05 LGT 5MT.. 68k... have owned it since new... kept pretty good care of it over the years. I've had the random CEL and had it checked a few times by the dealership... was told that it was wonky sensor on the intake side of things, but that it wasn't anything to worry about however I could replace it but that it wasn't a warranty issue... so I chose not to as the service guys said it was not an issue.

So about a week ago, my friend the CEL comes on, and then goes out after about 3 days... I'm thinking, "Okay... must still be this 'nothing to worry about' as the car did nothing weird and drove just like normal. Then the next day it comes on again, and so I decide I'd better schedule a visit to the dealership. Can't get it in for a few days.. no big deal.

Then 2 nights ago I'm minding my business driving down the freeway and I start to hear some weird noises coming from the engine bay. They started out as little extra whistles every time I let off the gas, and within about 3 miles proceeded to devolve into hideous whistling noises each time I let off the gas... and power was way down. So I assume that there's something wrong with the BOV or perhaps I've developed an air leak in a hose somewhere between the turbo and engine. I limp it home very gently, and park it in anticipation of a visit to the dealership. I popped the hood last night (service appointment was supposed to be today... but that fell through thanks to the sweet weather we're having here in Ohio) and decided to just check a few things and see if I can find a problem. Weirdly it's making no noises when i start it up.. let it warm up and drive it gently around my block... no noises. CEL light is off at this point. I decide to test it out a little and take it out for a little drive, and after about 5 minutes on the freeway the whisling resumes and the CEL comes on. Great. So I limp it home, and as I pull it into the garage, I start hearing an even more disturbing noise... a rattle that I've never heard before from under the hood. I turn the engine off, and want to vomit.

Today I turned it on again, and pop the hood... disgusting rattling noises fill my garage. I put my hand on the turbo (thinking the turbo is the culprit because it's coming from that side of the engine) but it doesn't feel like anything is amiss... upon closer inspection I now feel like it sounds like a cat is breaking up just south of the turbo and pieces are rattling around in the exhaust...but can't be sure. My dealer appointment isn't until next week now, and I'm going to have it towed, but wanted to ask the experts here if there is anything simple I can check to help diagnose my problem? I just don't want to stress all week and weekend long about it if I can sort of figure it out. I just don't want to drive it.

Any ideas?

Sounds like it is the turbo. :( The rattling is probably a piece of the compressor rattling around the housing or DP. Do not start the car up or drive it..you run the chance of ingesting the shrapnel in the turbo.

i don't think there is any easy way of checking it, you would have to remove the DP.

I hope I am wrong. Good luck.

I'll bet it's the up-pipe cat coming apart...the good news if that's the case it's covered by the 8yr/80k emissions warranty...and if the broken pieces damaged the turbo, that'll be covered as resulting damage!

I'll bet it's the up-pipe cat coming apart...the good news if that's the case it's covered by the 8yr/80k emissions warranty...and if the broken pieces damaged the turbo, that'll be covered as resulting damage!

You have no idea how happy I would be if that were the case... I was thinking that it would be a good opportunity to start upgrading some stuff if I ended up needing to pay for it on my own dime (I would love to do that) but with a little one on the way in about 3 months, I gotta be thrifty... so as much as I want to get nicer setup under-hood, I'd be thankful right now for a warranty covered issue.

I'm not starting it again as it's going to get towed on Sunday night or Monday morn to the dealership... I'll keep you posted on their findings.

You have no idea how happy I would be if that were the case... I was thinking that it would be a good opportunity to start upgrading some stuff if I ended up needing to pay for it on my own dime (I would love to do that) but with a little one on the way in about 3 months, I gotta be thrifty... so as much as I want to get nicer setup under-hood, I'd be thankful right now for a warranty covered issue.

I'm not starting it again as it's going to get towed on Sunday night or Monday morn to the dealership... I'll keep you posted on their findings.

You sound like a nice guy. :) GL man, I hope enerything works out with your car and your new baby. Congrats BTW. :)

Ben

So I had my car towed to the local Subaru dealership this morning. Told them the story. They called. Guess what their diagnosis was? ..... Wait for it..... They said the turbo was ruined due to oil starvation!!!!! What a shock that they might say something like that. They said the impeller fins are broken due to over-heating (because of the lack of oil) and that's what I'm hearing rattling around in the exhaust... bits of turbo. So I asked them not to put it back together after they tried to sell me a new turbo (installed) for $2200. When I asked for them to not put it back together, the service writer said, "Well, I don't think he really has it taken apart that much."....... WHAT? So if he doesn't have it taken apart, how can he tell what's wrong with it? (I'm a little suspicious at this point)

I had also mentioned that my right rear wheel bearing was going bad when I took it in and could they look at it please? The service writer told me the mechanic didn't hear it on his test drive and that it must have been the "broken turbo" that was making the whining noise. I calmly explained that the whining was not affected by engine speed, or anything other than road speed... I could push the clutch pedal in at 70 on the freeway and still hear the same noise as steady state throttle or full throttle. It's a freaking bearing! I guess I don't know what I'm talking about, because their tech didn't hear it.

So now I'm more suspicious... They told me the car should not be driven (but remember the tech supposedly took it for a test drive.. even after they knew I towed it because it was making hideous noises). They said that it was a broken turbo, but magically the tech didn't leave it taken apart for me, and he supposedly can't hear a bearing going bad (even my wife complains about the noise when we take my car anywhere).

I get my car home tonight (thanks to my roadside assistance plan) and pop the hood just to see if there is any tell-tale signs of it having been taken apart, and what do you know... It looks as if not a single bolt was removed from any part of the intake/exhaust that I can see. I seriously think they started it up, and tried to make a diagnosis just based on the noise it was making.

So, this week I'm going to take it apart myself (even though I really don't want to because it's freaking freezing in my garage) and see what I can find.

I have 2 theories:

- Bad catalytic converter

or

- Broken turbo due to malfunctioning BOV.

I'll post pics as I go.

If it was starved for oil it would likely be the banjo bolt filter (see http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61689). If you've been getting your oil changed at the dealer, there's an informational TSB about the banjo bolt filter (see http://www.thel7.com/TSB/02-103-07.pdf) that might help leverage your position with either the dealer or further up the pipeline.

Sorry, hadn't had a chance to check this thread again...after reading what occurred....i would recomend that you call 1-800-subaru3 and explain what has happened so far. It sounds like the dealership never took it apart to make a proper diagnosis. I still stand by my guess that the up-pipe cat is coming apart.

I know it's far, but you could always flatbed it to me in Florida! :)

I would be leary if they told me the impeller fins are damaged if they haven't R&I'd the turbo. Also I disagree on their test drive and this is why.

I had a legacy GT come in for a grinding noise from the engine and a CEL and the customer complained of a wheel bearing noise. Well first thing we did was verify the turbo issue being we could not drive the car. We replaced the turbo and addressed that noise. Once that was done during the test drive(making sure the repair is verified) we heard the wheelbearing noise and then replaced that.

Like Opie has mentioned, I would not rule out parts of the catalytic converter breaking and causing damage to the turbo. The dealer must tear it down (R&I) to verify the diagnosis. Assumptions do not count especially when it comes to comebacks and free repairs by the dealer(SOA won't pay for comebacks/misdiagnosis) and customer aggrivation.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 3 weeks later...
Hey slideways, I hope you figure out whats going on cause my 05 LGT just started doing the samething yesterday. Made strange intake noises then a little rattle, now I have no power at all. It starts fine and Idles with no problem. but it is jerky when I start moving and the rattling starts. no intake sounds from my spt. no bov sounds. its like the turbo isnt even working. I'm gettin a rental today for the week. just hoping you find out nothing serious is wrong and the same for me.

Well gettin my car towed to westlake imports and subaru today. got a connection there they said they could prolly get my car handled under a subaru goodwill warranty since I'm only 3k past my powertrain. so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. anyway I'll prolly report back with any findings.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived