LegacyGT.com

emissions test and stage 2

foolds

A lot of Stage 2+ Subaru's have passed emissions before. From my previous cars...

2004 Subaru WRX Wagon Power Mods:

COBB Catted Turbo Back

COBB AccessPORT (OTS VF34 mapping)

COBB SF Intake

VF34 Turbo

STI TMIC

DW 565 Injectors

Sometimes had an APS BOV, sometimes a COBB prototype BOV, sometimes a stock BOV

2005 STi Power Mods:

COBB Catted Turbo Back

COBB AccessPORT (OTS Stage 2)

COBB SF Intake

Not to mention my first Subaru...

2001 Subaru RS Power mods:

COBB Intake

COBB Pulley

Borla Ver4 Headers

High Flow cat (single)

Stromung cat back exhaust

Apex-i AVCS

COBB Street Cams

All of my cars have passed pretty easily. I was actually surprised no one ever said anything about the carbon fiber hood that I had on my RS though. Once you pop the hood, VIS used to have a big NOT DOT APPROVED label by the latch. LOL.

They only folks I really ever heard having to put their stock downpipe on was a few guys in California. It was pretty rare though.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I passed yesterday. I was trying to learn a little bit asking the guy questions. They use a mirror to look under the car at the exhaust. They 'KNOW' how many catts a car should have and they check for it. Even if your car passes with one performance cat when you should have two (or really three but they cat really see the up pipe very easily) they guy said they still have to fail you. He also looked under the hood and snooped around plus he read the label saying how many catts there are.

Basically, I would suggest putting the stock DP on cause you should/will pass and if they see that you have a modded exhaust they might fail you even if you pass the actual test.

Do you know if we have to go to a emissions facility in our county or can we go to any facility in the state? I heard the one by my house in douglas county has a sign up saying 'if a subaru or mitsubishi fails, please get a facility manager'. I'm looking for the least amount of hassle.

Put on my Stock Downpipe and flashed to the COBB v1.16 Stock Map and was able to pass. Oddly I don't remember seeing anyone pull out any mirrors so my area might not be so hard on that issue or the mirrors were hidden somewhere I didn't notice.

Anyways I've attached the Failing Diagnostic Test Info and the Passing Diagnostic Test Info.

So Mods Left on were:

EGT Sensor Resistor Mod

AVO TMIC (unsure of what Version)

Megan Racing Coated Header + Integrated uppipe

COBB AP although it was a stock Real Time Map.

Also I am not sure if everyone else ran into this issue but be aware that when my brother initially took the car in my car had it's 18x8 summer tires on and they mentioned they couldn't test with them on so the stock wheels got put back on.

883147076_Passing-InspectionReport.thumb.jpg.9a0717afb68ac67e802188cd5ad951fa.jpg

2069878686_Failing-DiagnosticSensorReport.thumb.jpg.43c9d1aeb8a5c0cdcc7af62bc4f5fcbe.jpg

512224111_Failing-DiagnosticTraceReport.thumb.jpg.c9d51cd447eb506dfdf6bb1feca1400f.jpg

683977147_Failing-InspectionReport.thumb.jpg.4c1c4395db41392508344943bd08d4b2.jpg

Yeah that 18's thing is BS. The only time I have heard about that is my buddies truck that was running 33" tires. He had to put smaller tires on the back and drive there looking retard with mudders up front and stockers in the back. :)

I got a postcard today for the renewal and it says that "Passed Roadside Emission Test" and I don't need to get the emission test.

I was so worried if I need to get the stockers back to the car..

From Desert to Rocky to SLC !!!

I got a postcard today for the renewal and it says that "Passed Roadside Emission Test" and I don't need to get the emission test.

Mod list?

Very nice!

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

^ Sick man good for you. Don't quote me on this but I think the 18' may not be so much the wheel size as the tire that you were running. I've heard that if you dyno your car with say the stock RE-92's and then dyno it with say RE-070's you will actually make more HP running the "summer/performance" tire. Don't know really if it's true but it's all a matter of the traction the tire gets on the dyno is what I'm. So maybe that's the reason they told you to swap out to stocker... Not sure about the Jeep thing tho. But like I said don't qoute me on it.

It's actually the other way around. The RE92 (DIAF) is a low rolling resistance tire...meaning it has a stiffer sidewall. It won't deflect as much on the roller and lose as much powa. Snow tires will drop a cars peak HP by almost 5-10hp.

But that's all for performance dyno stuff. The emissions guys are worried about damaging the equipment/car with too little/too much sidewall.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Ok my license renewal postcards just arrived today for the LGT and Jeep. I guess I should consider this a relief but I was kinda up to the challenge. Both state "EMISSION TEST NOT REQUIRED". It's been 2 years since I purchased/licensed the LGT and thought it was due. I guess not.. what is the interval?

My '05 LGT

The LGT is an '05 and when I bought it in 6/07 and got emissions it was stock. I rarely pass the mobile stations.

The Jeep is a '99 Wrangler bought 7/08 and also got emissions when I bought it then. Stock engine except intake. Here is a pic (it is getting new 35" tires soon... these are old 33's).

http://beeez.com/tj/tj1.jpg

My '05 LGT

• 2 weeks later...
OK, going for the first run-through this afternoon. Currently running OEM STi up, Invidia catted down, X02 catback w/ resonator and Cobb Stg. 2 map. You guys think I should run a different map? Switch to stock map?

Archived