LegacyGT.com

cai and short ram intakes bad. but why??

bdickey058

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but if you want to...

had mine out on the old 05.....simple to do, makes a little more turbo noise.....but i did put it back in a week later....got tired of the sound.. I take no responsibility for your actions, your mileage may vary, accept your own responsibility.

tools required: flat screwdriver, 3/8 drive ratchet,10mm socket, 8-9 inch socket extension , 10mm wrench (ratcheting wrench is easier)

1. remove two popits from front of airbox scoop and lift scoop out of the way. loosen clamp on intake hose between airbox and intake, at the airbox.

2. remove MAF wire clip

3. open airbox 2 clips

4. wrestle the airbox half loose from the inlet hose, powersteering hose (on engine side of cover in clip)and remove airfilter.

5. loosen 2 10mm bolts from bottom of airbox on top of frame between airbox and cylinder head (Extension used here).

6. loosen 1 10mm nut from top outside corner or airbox (behind and above pass side headlamp)

7. using careful lift, turn, twist, lift type technique you will be rewarded with the front half of the airbox and the wiley Snorkus.

8. one more popit from the bottom of the airbox

9. twist the Snorkus roughly 90 degrees till the "nipples" are within the tube and pull it down

10. start back at number 7 and work backwards for reinstall of airbox.

11. enjoy the new sound of WWOOSSHHH!

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=3223

A must read. Explains exactly why not to use a SF-Short Ram or CAI- Cold Air Intake. MAF errors from Tube size difference and Turbulent airflow across MAF (unavoidable). Panel replacements are ok as long as the construction is the same (similar weave pattern and backing plate).

http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=3223

A must read. Explains exactly why not to use a SF-Short Ram or CAI- Cold Air Intake. MAF errors from Tube size difference and Turbulent airflow across MAF (unavoidable). Panel replacements are ok as long as the construction is the same (similar weave pattern and backing plate).

that is not always true. Have you ever tuned your car or scaled a MAF? I have a typhoon on my car and it was easy to scale and tune with. From my stock setup to my 277whp fmic setup and now my 340whp on 91 cali 20g /ewg setup it has caused no problems. My afr are solid in well over 100 logs. The design of the intake and placement of the maf is the most important.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I wouldn't recommend the silencer delete. it's there for a reason whether or not you all only think it's for the silencing effect. there are resonant chamber calculations done for air intakes (apparently, i'm just learning about this) and i'm sure that is taken into account in the STOCK MAF SCALING.

there was an article posted where people reviewed the K&N Short Ram and the Injen CAI and they had some nice information on intakes in general. when i get a chance i'll find it and link it here.

I wouldn't recommend the SPT Intake unless you want to hear all possible noises from the car, it is quite a screamer.

and even the panel filters have been shown to bring up lean conditions. basically if you're going to change the intake, get an e-tune that is modified for it at the least, or get a pro-tune if you can afford it.

The K&N is fine for a stock tune. It actually has a smaller inside diameter that the stock airbox, but it flows more.

Don't waste money on one if your turbo is stock, go with a panel filter or K&N drop in.

I also heard the early Perrin short ram caused MAF signal problems due to turbulance.

The K&N is fine for a stock tune. It actually has a smaller inside diameter that the stock airbox, but it flows more.

Don't waste money on one if your turbo is stock, go with a panel filter or K&N drop in.

I also heard the early Perrin short ram caused MAF signal problems due to turbulance.

Well I got 277whp with a stock turbo. Even before I tuned it was fine

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I wouldn't recommend the silencer delete. it's there for a reason whether or not you all only think it's for the silencing effect. there are resonant chamber calculations done for air intakes (apparently, i'm just learning about this) and i'm sure that is taken into account in the STOCK MAF SCALING.

there was an article posted where people reviewed the K&N Short Ram and the Injen CAI and they had some nice information on intakes in general. when i get a chance i'll find it and link it here.

I wouldn't recommend the SPT Intake unless you want to hear all possible noises from the car, it is quite a screamer.

and even the panel filters have been shown to bring up lean conditions. basically if you're going to change the intake, get an e-tune that is modified for it at the least, or get a pro-tune if you can afford it.

Are you thinking of this test? http://harmanmotive.com/blog/?p=26

Looks like they prefer the AEM out of the three that were tested.

I am considering adding an AEM CAI before I get protuned in a few months on the stock VF40 turbo. My setup will be Grimmspeed UP, GS PnP exhaust manifold/crossover pipe, Cobb catted DP, and AVO TMIC. My question is, would it be worth it to add an AEM before the protune? Would I see more gains than if I got tuned with the stock system and AVO filter that I'm running now?

Not much. You would get some more turbo and blow off noise (If that's what you're into). It also helps a bit with IATs.

I have the AEM CAI and love it!

If you want to get one eventually, might as well do it before your tune.

I love my AEM CAI as well. And it is flowing much more air than stock. In one of my log threads someone posted that my Stage 1 is flowing just about as much as their Stage 2. All i have done to the car is the CAI and a Borla CBE and an e-tune.

Definitely do it before your tune if you think you want one, otherwise you're going to need to re-dyno to adjust for it. Also your tuner will probably have a wbO2 and that will make dialing the AEM in better...

I love my AEM CAI as well. And it is flowing much more air than stock. In one of my log threads someone posted that my Stage 1 is flowing just about as much as their Stage 2. All i have done to the car is the CAI and a Borla CBE and an e-tune.

Definitely do it before your tune if you think you want one, otherwise you're going to need to re-dyno to adjust for it. Also your tuner will probably have a wbO2 and that will make dialing the AEM in better...

You simply cannot compare a stock box and an AEM unit once the MAF has been altered which is required for the AEM to run properly.

ok. I thought altering the MAF scaled it so it was still properly calculating the amount of air flowing into the engine? meaning if you have a proper calculation for the amount of air for each one...arent all things equal at that point? i.e. stock box flowing 200g/s air and my rescaled flowing 200g/s air are both pulling the same amount of air no?

ok. I thought altering the MAF scaled it so it was still properly calculating the amount of air flowing into the engine? meaning if you have a proper calculation for the amount of air for each one...arent all things equal at that point? i.e. stock box flowing 200g/s air and my rescaled flowing 200g/s air are both pulling the same amount of air no?

No because the diameter of the piping is different sizes. Also there is even variances between the same unit, I have scaled the K&N unit multiple times and although close there is always a bit of a difference.

No because the diameter of the piping is different sizes. Also there is even variances between the same unit, I have scaled the K&N unit multiple times and although close there is always a bit of a difference.

ah, I had thought rescaling is to make it so it takes the pipe size into account that slower moving air in a big pipe = faster moving air in a small pipe (in g/s).

I see what you're saying though about they're never always equal. I'm not trying to argue the point with you, just trying to wrap my head around the concept.

thanks for the info.

ah, I had thought rescaling is to make it so it takes the pipe size into account that slower moving air in a big pipe = faster moving air in a small pipe (in g/s).

I see what you're saying though about they're never always equal. I'm not trying to argue the point with you, just trying to wrap my head around the concept.

thanks for the info.

The MAF has to be taught so it can compensate for the intake

Not much. You would get some more turbo and blow off noise (If that's what you're into). It also helps a bit with IATs.

I have the AEM CAI and love it!

If you want to get one eventually, might as well do it before your tune.

LGT & snow, how loud is the AEM CAI? I like the design and I've read that its quieter than the SPT and K&N. I do want more engine/turbo noise, but not a screamingly loud CAI like the Injen I had on my 99' SF. Currently stage 1 with AVO panel and its basically silent. I guess I will see how the engine/turbo/BPV sounds change after the UP/DP install first.

Archived