LegacyGT.com

Show Me Your Engine Bay Pics

bdubs16

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So many nice clean engines with stock oil caps!

Engine cleaning question; when I bought my car (used) the dealer had done just an unbelievable job cleaning the engine, it looked brand new. Now that my car has been through its first winter the engine looks salty and dirty. Back when I was in my teens we would put plastic bags around the carb, alternator and distributor cap and wash the engine with a can of engine cleaner and the hose. I would like to do that to my car.

Don't have to worry about a carb and distributer cap anymore! lol :)

What areas should I avoid spraying with the hose? Thanks for any guidance.

Nobody spray cleans their engines in the spring?

Simple Green in a spray bottle and cloth is enough for cleaning the plastic and hoses ; )

Nothing too radical but here's my bae, errr... bay.

I want your worklight.

Simple Green in a spray bottle and cloth is enough for cleaning the plastic and hoses ; )

You don't spray all of the salt off of the engine? I live in the "rust belt" where they put a crap ton of salt on the roads.

dude...

What!?!

Excuse me for not wanting to take a hose to my engine without knowing what I can spray.

There's loads of info on cleaning under the hood. Start with a cool engine. Cover electrical items, esp alternator. Other items may depend on the cleaner you choose. (It's typically hard to totally avoid specific items when spraying water in there!) Read the directions on the cleaner. Rinse salt off with a gentle spray. Use a recommended cleaner like Simple Green at an appropriate concentration. Let sit for the recommended time and gently rinse again. Let it drain and wipe off with a soft cotton or microfiber towel. If you need to, shrink yourself and get in there with Q tips!!! Best luck!! When you fire it back up you may get a brief squeal from belts, but that should go away quickly. Be very careful spraying the hood liner, it's delicate.

There's loads of info on cleaning under the hood. Start with a cool engine. Cover electrical items, esp alternator. Other items may depend on the cleaner you choose. (It's typically hard to totally avoid specific items when spraying water in there!) Read the directions on the cleaner. Rinse salt off with a gentle spray. Use a recommended cleaner like Simple Green at an appropriate concentration. Let sit for the recommended time and gently rinse again. Let it drain and wipe off with a soft cotton or microfiber towel. If you need to, shrink yourself and get in there with Q tips!!! Best luck!! When you fire it back up you may get a brief squeal from belts, but that should go away quickly. Be very careful spraying the hood liner, it's delicate.

Thank you.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived