LegacyGT.com

92 Legacy No Crank No Start HELP PLEASE!

Hello all, this is my first post here. So please forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere.

My girlfriend has a 1992 Subaru Legacy wagon, front wheel drive, normally aspirated, automatic with 186,000 miles. It has been a great car up until this morning!

The check engine line has come on lately only for a few seconds, and the car was actually scheduled for maintenance next week. It has had regular oil changes since she has owned it and absolutely no engine trouble.

This morning when we went to start the car, it did nothing! No crank, no start. All you hear is some "electrical sounds" as if a signal is being sent to the starter. When I poke my head under the hood and have her turn the ignition, I can hear a click in the main relay fuse box (driver side just behind the battery) and then a "hissing sound" on the passenger side of the engine somewhere around the 2 plugs on that side.

This engine is VERY new to me, flat four, and very alien from my Acura Legend V6. So any help would be appreciated in diagnosing this issue.

We were thinking maybe the battery is too weak to charge the starter, but all the lights come on just fine with no dimming on ignition.

I am not that technically or mechanically inclined, but any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Fuses , fuses , fuses. Start by checking every fuse under the hood and in the car. You could jump terminal 30 to terminal 87 on the starter relay and see if the starter engages. Ck for battery power at terminal 30, should be hot all the time. Terminals 85 and 86 on the relay are the ign sw control. One should be hot with the key on and the other is grounded by the ign switch.

And last but not least, the neutral safety switch or clutch switch depending if its auto or manual.

Fuses , fuses , fuses. Start by checking every fuse under the hood and in the car. You could jump terminal 30 to terminal 87 on the starter relay and see if the starter engages. Ck for battery power at terminal 30, should be hot all the time. Terminals 85 and 86 on the relay are the ign sw control. One should be hot with the key on and the other is grounded by the ign switch.

And last but not least, the neutral safety switch or clutch switch depending if its auto or manual.

k im gonna try and translate all that and follow directions.

if u can break it down a bit further like im a 5 year old (seriously) that would be greatly appreciated.

all the fuses are ok.

the battery was very good just a few moments ago, the AAA guy put the charger on it and it was fully charged. now, just a few start attempts later (again with no crank.... no real energy drain?) the radio goes off when turning the key. i definitely didn't notice that before.

Archived