LegacyGT.com

For those piling on miles, does your Legacy still feel tight?

sclough

I test drove a Legacy again today. The car feel really tight, but I'm just wondering if it will continue to feel tight? I've driven several Japanese cars that would run forever mechanically, but they felt loose and cheap as miles piled on them. By comparison, both my Audis felt tight and solid even approaching and over 100k. I'm just a little nervous as I've never really been impressed by Japanese cars, although the Legacy feels somewhat European if the styling is still pretty Japanese IMHO.

Also, I'm looking at a 2.5i and I've noticed at the dealership that the tire/fender gap on the 2.5i there is more at the front than a GT and less at the rear than a GT. Do the factory springs sag too much in the rear on the 2.5i? Coming from the Audi world, I don't mind a little rake where the rear gap is a little more than the front, but the 2.5i seems to have the opposite problem which is going to really annoy me if it looks like it has a sagging rear end.

11,600 miles & still tight

and the wheel well gap is tricking you, the rear wheel wells are smaller than the fronts (to allow clearance for the wheels to turn), nothing is sagging.

I understand the wheel well difference, but I did the test of how many fingers I could fit between the tire and the wheel well and the gap from tire to wheel well was definitely much small on the 2.5i than the GT in the rear. That's what bothers me. I understand the front of a stock car will always have a higher gap for wheel clearance.

not as tight as before.

This is what bothers me. I know a guy who has a previous generation Legacy and his has been rock solid mechanically even though he drives is spiritedly, but not too hard. Anyway, not to offend anybody, but it has that cheap Japanese feel to it if you know what I mean. It's solid and I'm sure will go another 100k miles easy but it does not have the solid (and heavy) feeling that you typically get in a well maintained German car. Of course, brand new I'm sure it did not feel as solid as the new Legacy. Not trying to beat this to death, just trying to make sure before I plop down this much change for a new car.

I understand the wheel well difference, but I did the test of how many fingers I could fit between the tire and the wheel well and the gap from tire to wheel well was definitely much small on the 2.5i than the GT in the rear. That's what bothers me. I understand the front of a stock car will always have a higher gap for wheel clearance.

Hmmm, Only thing I can think of is, since the 2.5i and GT's use different springs and struts that maybe there is a slight ride height difference...

Too soon to comment on the '05 but our '00 LGT wagon with 48,000 miles of spirited hauling band gear on weekends has upgraded tires but bushings feel soft to me now. Shocks are still OK.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

hmmmm maybe mine wasn't tight to begin with... or maybe i am just expecting too much... in any case i am not worried at all since i will get rid of it (long?) before the warranty expires.

This Space For Rent

I just got my LGT so I can't make comments about suspension longevity yet.

But, I do have a 2002 WRX with 96,000 miles on it. When I drive it I still can't believe how nice it still feels. The suspension still feels very tight, and the chassis is like a ROCK. Did it loosen up though? Yes. The first 20,000 mi for a WRX is phenomenal. The closest analogy for the performance of the car on bumpy streets is a mogul skier. The new suspension soaked up bumps without upsetting the balance in an unreal manner. To carry the skier analogy further, it was like the kness moving like crazy with the upper body held still.

The LGT does not have the chassis stability of the WRX. The suspension is also a bit loose by comparison to begin with. My mother-in-law has an M5 which I've driven extensively, and my sister had an A4 for a while, and I would put the WRX suspension dynamics, chassis stabiliity and "tightness" way above both of these cars.

I plan on some suspension mods in the near future, the WRX spoiled me.

Our '97 Outback had 140,000 miles on it when we traded it in for the new OB XT.

The '97 was rock solid through and through when we ditched it. Although, I must admit, it was no longer mechanically sound: serious stutter when starting from stop, water pump leak, an untraceable oil leak (dealership couldn't even find it) and a slow death throw-out bearing.

Meh, it had a 140k on the odometer and the car still *felt* like it did when we bought it at 35k miles. Can't really fault a tired, old, modified motor for giving out at 7yrs/140,000miles.

Also, it should be pointed out, the '97 didn't start out at a comparable level with the '05. The older OB felt chinsy when new, unlike the new ones.

17k+ and the car still feels excellent. From a ride/handling perspective, it is as sharp as the day I picked it up. From a creaks and rattles perspective, it's excellent save for one rattle in the dash that I believe to be a remnant from a sloppy (or poorly trained) technician. I intend to have it fixed at the 18,750 appt. As much as I loved my GTI, that thing was a rattle trap at 40k miles. It was the tightness of my buddy's 98 2.5RS (80k+ miles) and hi 03 WRX (currently 55k miles and climbing) that led me to the Subaru camp in the first place. Thus far, I have not been disappointed.

- Dan

Thanks for the feedback, sorry about the wrong forum. I just don't want to by a Legacy and then end up with a different car in 20k miles or one that feels like my father in law's Camry.

Don't think you'll have to worry about your Legacy feeling like any Camry for quite a while. My 98 GTs, one with 75K and one with 63K drive like the day they were new and several older Subarus I've owned even felt tight after 150K miles.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived