LegacyGT.com

So you buy a 3.0 Legacy if you...

Didn't think of the Coupe.

I didn't know it was an option on the V6 coupe for the 09 model year. The sedans I have seen all have had the auto. I don't even know if a manual is available in the sedan or coupe. I'll check when I bring the Honda in in a week about this.

Yeah If I was in L.A. or back home in Miami I would have gone for the Auto.

And around here its a weird mix of owners. I have seen 50+ year guys in STI's! But An owner will choose what he will drive no matter the age!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't think of the Coupe.

I didn't know it was an option on the V6 coupe for the 09 model year. The sedans I have seen all have had the auto. I don't even know if a manual is available in the sedan or coupe. I'll check when I bring the Honda in in a week about this.

Yeah If I was in L.A. or back home in Miami I would have gone for the Auto.

And around here its a weird mix of owners. I have seen 50+ year guys in STI's! But An owner will choose what he will drive no matter the age!

You are correct. The sedan only comes with a manual with the I4. No more V6 sedans with manuals. The coupe however offers a manual for both the coupe and sedan.

• 3 weeks later...
Need to hook up a tow-trailer or something?

It makes a great "to the cabin" vehicle?

Obviously, you don't want to tow something with a turbocharged vehicle, so a 6-cylinder Legacy seems like a great towing car.

Considering it gets worse mileage than the 2.5 base Legacy, and doesn't perform at the level of a 2.5 Turbo GT, I can't really pinpoint any other reason for this vehicle's existence.

?

They last over 60,000 miles....

Who Dares Wins

スバル

They last over 60,000 miles....

You forgot that the 3.0 has about the same HP as a stock 2.5GT. So if you like the power delivery, but don't want the turbo lag, the 3.0 is for you. If you are going to mod it like an Imprezza junkie, then get a GT (nothing wrong with being on a HP junkie binge, it just starts adding up on the bottom line).

I'd love 350HP, but I know it would cost me a hell of a lot. I'm happy with mine 240HP plus a K&N filter / less restrictive intake. I might have gained 1-3 HP. I don't know if anyone has ever tested it.

People take what Subaru lists for gas mileage in the 3.0R too seriously. Usually manufacturers post optimistic numbers derived under circumstances few manage to actually obtain. But this car is an odd exception for some reason, because I have consistently gotten better than the stickered average..... and I'm just breaking it in with only 1100 miles on it so far.

City is listed from 14 to 20 with 17 the average, I've averaged 19.x. Highway range is 19 to 29 with an average of 24, I just got 27.9 on a trip including both interstate and secondary roads with the occasional pass involved. In both cases these are better than I got under the same circumstances with my LGT. I'm looking forward to seeing what it does when I travel routes I know produced the highest mileage figures for the LGT, which at best was in the 27mpg range. It bears mentioning there are few to no options for travel from where I live that does not include mountains.

That's just the gas mileage aspect of the 3.0R. How those miles pass by is another story, a good one. The car is quiet and utterly composed on roads that are so troubled and repair challanged signs caution travellers about to enter them. At some point on a clear stretch of interstate at 70+ I told the Mrs to watch out, I was about to swerve to see what happened. Nothing happened except I suddenly changed lanes and back again, no drama at all, perfect control. I remember doing that in a Legacy past at far lower speed to miss a Daschund that darted out of a side street and I thought I was going to roll, the car fishtailing back and forth with the tires howling. Not this car.

When it came time to pass the casual elders leisurely driving below the speed limits on back roads, regardless of how far the dotted line allowed, the power always surprised me. Once when I had more room, passing an old pickup going 40 something on a 55mph two lane I hit S# with my thunb, gave the pedal a 3/4 stab, and when I swung back I was shocked to look down and see I had passed 95. There is something different with this car, in S# the engine and transmission combine to consistently exceed my expectation. Partly, I think, I'm not used to it continuing to accellerate so long, that six cylinder note builds and builds, the car goes faster and faster without the cues I had gotten used to in the LGT. Certainly the LGT was quick, this is somehow .... different. The power never falls off, it just builds smoothly without any clue its breath is shorter or you've gone past some instinctively noted peak. And for me, waiting on the car to shift is just too long a cue as power never rolls off and 7 grand finds you going too fast regardless of your intentions.

And although the stereo is great, the controls for cruise and sound so conveniently nearby on the wheel, and the cabin comfort perfectly and quietly maintained... it was my first use of the Navi that amazed both of us. Maneuvering through the maze of interstate ramps, city streets, and intercity byways to a destination just as convoluted, being guided there error free by the pleasant Navi Lady's voice was heady enough an experience for the very first Navi experience. But it was coming back in heavy commuter traffic that made us both shake our head in amazement..... no one had prepared me for how Navi adjusts for taking wrong turns. In dense traffic sometimes I didn't have the option of getting to the turn I was given to take, so on the way back I "got lost" several times in that inner city maze of ramps and roads..... but Navi Lady never faltered once, she just kept telling me what to do from where I was and we ended up at our return destination looking like we knew what we were doing. I like Navi now, although until now I've refused to consider it.

There is more, from the comfort of the seats to the driver/control interface which can be perfectly tailored, to what seems to me to be a different foot and pedal relationship that allows my left foot braking without strain. With the LGT if my left foot was near enough to cover the brake it was too far from the dead pedal, and vice versa. But with my heel as the pivot I can rest on one and be instantly ready to cover the brake in traffic.

Yep, loving the Legacy 3.0R. Yesterday the new owner of my LGT came by. It is beautiful. I watched and listened as it came and went, until it was gone from sight. Not unlike catching an unexpected glance at a past lover, you know what it was and somewhere inside still is, it just isn't that anymore.

Wow... you're just bashing the GT at any given chance aren't you? :lol: I guess this gives me a reason to link this thread for you again. Riiiight NONE last beyond 60K. :rolleyes:
Not really, as it would indirectly be bashing my WRX. There are plenty of fanbois here to counterattack any bashing, don't you think? :lol:

I'm glad to see some 2.5T's are over 100K. I met an owner of a WRX who has 180K on his car with no rebuilding, although it is a 2.0L.

But I did just get this email message, written from a former co-worker to another who owns an LGT, who forwarded it to me. Along with having my engine replaced at 150 miles, it is not making me feel sanguine about long-term reliability: he has 97,000 miles.

"Take care of that turbo... mine blew and took the engine with it.... supposedly the legacy gt is NOT a reliable long term car.... start looking to get rid of it."

Although the 2009 WRX rod bearing problem seems to have impacted only about 20 cars, it is troubling, along with the other problems reported here.

If Australia can get both the 2.5GT and the 3.0R SpecB, I don't see why the US market should not.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

You buy a 3.0r if you want to add forged low compression pistons + Turbo/Header System + GT35 = Think GT35 with stock STi spool :)

See Build number One for more Information http://www.perrinperformance.com/pages/show/32

http://www.perrinperformance.com/shared/images/jeff_pics/h6_build/dyno_graphs/h6original.jpg

"The thing I grew to love (besides the sound) was how much low end power the car has. To give you an idea, 16psi would be had by 3100RPM, and this is with a GT3582R. The car is unbelievable to drive. Stock STI turbo spool with GT3076R power what more could you ask for."

I would love to take the 3.6 out of the Tribeca and do something similar once my car is not a DD and my stock engine fails.

If Australia can get both the 2.5GT and the 3.0R SpecB, I don't see why the US market should not.

Absolutely. But, I think the 3.0R Spec B would cannibalize sales of the GT. But if they offered it on a tiered system it could work. Here's my take:

If they had a 3.6 in a top luxury model that was a bit bigger than the Legacy, with a very quite interior, that would be good.

Next step down would be the Legacy. Have the options include a luxury 3.0, a GT, and the NA 2.5. Then a Spec B package for either the GT or 3.0. These could even be dealer options, so that it would cut down on costs.

Then the Imprezza line would follow. The Outback (and Legacy, yes, bring it back) line would still be offered.

Just a thought. And I love my 3.0 SpecB. It has all the sporty pretense that I was looking for without being a turbo car. Without the hood scoop, I am not a cop magnet. The car just has a smooth look.

Not really, as it would indirectly be bashing my WRX. There are plenty of fanbois here to counterattack any bashing, don't you think? :lol:

I'm glad to see some 2.5T's are over 100K. I met an owner of a WRX who has 180K on his car with no rebuilding, although it is a 2.0L.

But I did just get this email message, written from a former co-worker to another who owns an LGT, who forwarded it to me. Along with having my engine replaced at 150 miles, it is not making me feel sanguine about long-term reliability: he has 97,000 miles.

"Take care of that turbo... mine blew and took the engine with it.... supposedly the legacy gt is NOT a reliable long term car.... start looking to get rid of it."

Although the 2009 WRX rod bearing problem seems to have impacted only about 20 cars, it is troubling, along with the other problems reported here.

Don't get me wrong, there's enough problems to cause some concern. I just wouldn't plan my cars future because I got a forwarded email from a guy I used to work with. "I take care of my turbo" isn't exactly proof to me that the thing "just blew" out of nowhere and shouldn't be used as evidence, that overall, the 2.5T is unreliable. Every make/model is going to have some problems so basing an opinion on the few(er) instead of the many seems a little crazy to me, regardless of your 150 mile disaster. That's clearly outside of an engine longevity issue thing. You got a lemon....assembly line goof or something. Did they ever say? That suuuucks btw.

There are fanbois of every kind in every place...sadly But it certainly doesn't take an LGT fanboi to disagree with the "at least the 3.0 lasts beyond 60K" statement...that's all.

Absolutely. But, I think the 3.0R Spec B would cannibalize sales of the GT. //.
Then why is it offered in Aus?

I think there are a lot of people who would buy the H6 who won't but a turbo. I used to be one of them. Definitely plan to get rid of the WRX after 50,000 miles.

Don't get me wrong, there's enough problems to cause some concern. I just wouldn't plan my cars future because I got a forwarded email from a guy I used to work with. "I take care of my turbo" isn't exactly proof to me that the thing "just blew" out of nowhere and shouldn't be used as evidence, that overall, the 2.5T is unreliable. //
He's the former engineering manager at a shop that race preps BMWs. But he bought it used and opines that there may have been problems before he bought it. But he'd driven several BMWs well over 100K so this was unexpected.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Archived