LegacyGT.com

So you buy a 3.0 Legacy if you...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ok, but what'd you do with the car? :lol: trade it in or sell it?

Traded it in. Left it sitting there with everything that went with it. Clean slate.

I'd either sold, given away, or thrown away much of what it would have taken to revert the car to stock. Many many $$ in mods, largely invisible, went with it. That IPT 5EAT and TC represented half it, all the rest wasn't worth, to me, what it would have taken to remove.

I feel a sense of loss, similar to that at the end of a love affair. But I know that it will pass. I've been there before. When I quit racing, for example, racing that included each and every event at New England Dragway for four years, and every success and more that I had started out to attain, it was far worse. Again, I quit 'cold turkey' selling my race/streetable car to a friend, lock stock and barrel. I didn't go back to the track for years. That time I was depressed, badly, for many months. Adrenaline addiction may not be commonly understood, but addiction it is. That period ended when I got my first motorcycle. Talk about adrenaline.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=adrenaline+addiction&spell=1

People can joke all they want about being a modaholic, joke it entirely isn't.

Still have my VFR :lol:. The next fix is sitting in the garage.

The VTD drive system on the 5EAT cars works quite well. It makes the car very neutral handling. I'm taking the 3.0 OBW to the O'Neill winter driving course as it has 55-aspect snows, but don't feel at all disadvantaged since you can't get all the power down in snow/ice anyway.

The coilovers made a huge difference as well. The stock OB is just too damned high.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Traded it in. Left it sitting there with everything that went with it. Clean slate.

I'd either sold, given away, or thrown away much of what it would have taken to revert the car to stock. Many many $$ in mods, largely invisible, went with it. That IPT 5EAT and TC represented half it, all the rest wasn't worth, to me, what it would have taken to remove.

Dude, :eek::eek::eek:...

Time is a finite luxury. We only get so much. Now it is time to address some of my other interests, and duties in fact. It is time to look outward into the world around me, instead of inward, evaluating the car in some manner or other. Release from obsession like release from addiction is not easy nor quick. I'm looking forward to springtime with an open agenda.

Wow. That's really quite eloquent. Thanks.

man. you could have sold it on the forums. the car was in PRISTINE condition plus that IPT 5EAT.... wow! I hope they gave you something decent for it.

Seriously. This still boggles my mind.

I wouldn't say that having a 2.5GT for modding is immature. Hell, I'd love to do a bunch of things to my 3.0, but I have other places to put my money (retirement, kids going to college in a few years, etc...). The 3.0 is just a bigger displacement, non turbo Legacy. I'd rather not label the purchase. I just chose not to have a turbo.

My 2 cents and a dollar can get you a cup of coffee... But not at Starbucks, all they sell is mochalottefrappabitchachinobullshit. 1000 calories, $5.00 please....

Hello, I have not posted on the forum for a while but I had to add my 2 cents to this discussion. It seems that the type of 3.0R sold in the US is mainly for non turbo enthusiasts and it maybe done that way so as not to compete with the GT sales i.e, less horse power, non spec b suspension and auto only.

I am at a loss as to why SOA doesnt bring in the EDM 3.0r spec b or some variant of it. With manual 6 spd tranny, better suspension, same linear torque, but faster off the line (0-62 mph is "supposedly" 6.5s).

Actually the US 3.0R does have Bilstein suspension and it does have more horsepower then the 2.5 turbo (243 for the GT and Spec. B and 245 for the 3.0R). The Spec. B and the GT do have more torque 241 for the Spec. B and the GT and 215 for the 3.0R.

I guess then it only comes down to a matter of taste then.

Actually the US 3.0R does have Bilstein suspension and it does have more horsepower then the 2.5 turbo (243 for the GT and Spec. B and 245 for the 3.0R). The Spec. B and the GT do have more torque 241 for the Spec. B and the GT and 215 for the 3.0R.

and the 3.0 dynos lower than the legacy or spec b.

why subaru swapped the gears out of the gt 5eat to make it slower i have no idea. they gave the quicker gear to the 3.0r. my o7 was the last to get the quicker ratio. the stock gt 5eat was already slow enough as is/was. now they made it worse.

i will NOT get another gt subaru unless they drop a 6 or 7 speed auto. 3.0 is out of the question.

if it can be f**ked up...subaru will do it.

and the 3.0 dynos lower than the legacy or spec b.//
You don't know that.

The 3.0R only comes with the 5EAT in US. I had mine dynoed at TDC (on regular), but no one has ever apparently done a stock 2.5T with 5EAT. Not only that, TDC only ran mine to 6,000rpm (redline is 7,000rpm) either because he didn't want it to mathc the 2.5T, or because they were incompetent - probably the latter.

Only one I've seen was done in CO, where the elevation difference is about 5,000 feet.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Just because you car can rev to 7000 doesnt mean it keeps making more power to 7k. Were you still gaining ponies at 6? Puttign a supercharger on the 3.0r would be fun but it would be alot of money for a dead end setup. Unless you changed the pistons and heads to lower the comp ratio, but then at that point you would be far past the trannys capabilitys

Just because you car can rev to 7000 doesnt mean it keeps making more power to 7k. Were you still gaining ponies at 6? P//

Go read how hp is calculated, "Guru."

AFAIK I'm the only one to put a stock H6 on a dyno. I made an appointment to go back once my car was broken in and running 91 octane, with a co-worker who has an 05 LGT 5EAT.

But he went first and they couldn't get his car past 5,000 rpms, so we bagged the runs, and then TDC went out of business.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

i dont think so.

Reza brought a 08 3.0R Legacy to a dyno back last year (well late 2007) and it dynoed between 160 and 180 ... i forgot...

Great, now we just need someone to put a stock 2.5T 5EAT on there!

This the one?

http://aycu05.webshots.com/image/46284/2006226887309954832_rs.jpg

Mine looks quite a bit different.

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/419014889_7ZNb6-M.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

• 3 weeks later...

Dear SeeeeYa,

I suspect there was a deeper motive (read: issue with the car) for you to have traded in your LGT.

Come clean. We are here to support you.

All the best,

The National LGT Enquirer

I for one love the 3.0 R

But the one thing that keeps me from buying it is the Auto Tranny. I don't know what cars do come with a manual tranny in the price range of the 3.0R. The only thing that comes to mind in the Madaspeed 6 and possibly the S V6? I am not a big Nissan fan but the Maxima used to come with a stick? What about Acura? I know Honda dosen't make the Accord V6 in a stick.

I am just saying in the price range. I know the BMW offers manuals, as well as Lexus.

I for one think the 3.0 R has plenty of power. Most people I see in one aren't racers or heavy into mods, more in the 30-50 age group. At least thats what I see here.

Youre talking 29 msrp for a 2.5 GT compated to 26.6 for the 3.0R and the 30K for the limited. Yes more torque with the GT.

Why can't Subaru come up in torque in the 3.0 H6's?

For the money though the 3.0 R is a good car. I just don't want to give up my GT!

I for one love the 3.0 R

But the one thing that keeps me from buying it is the Auto Tranny. I don't know what cars do come with a manual tranny in the price range of the 3.0R. The only thing that comes to mind in the Madaspeed 6 and possibly the S V6? I am not a big Nissan fan but the Maxima used to come with a stick? What about Acura? I know Honda dosen't make the Accord V6 in a stick.//

Maxima is now CVT only.

Accord V6 is no longer available with 6 speed manual. Most of the coupes come that way: it was somewhat rare in the sedan.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I for one think the 3.0 R has plenty of power. Most people I see in one aren't racers or heavy into mods, more in the 30-50 age group. At least thats what I see here.

Hmm i'm 25<>30, but yes i am not a racer or into mods all that much. I was going to get the sB, but driving the 6sp in LA didnt sound all that appealing to me, so i went w/the 3.0R

Archived