LegacyGT.com

How much power can a 5EAT hold with IPT VB/Trans cooler

frkkevin

300-330 at the wheels is my guesstimation. however, the ambient temps and temps under the hood will also probably make a huge difference. FMIC vs TMIC, how often you do trans flushes, oil changes, etc.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

eek lol.. im hoping some others say some higher numbers.. if not my trans will be toast soon

as I said, there's more to it than just looking at a spec sheet. frankly, my trans should have blown up with what I did to it and how I abused it at the track, however it didn't. So, hard to really say what or how much power it can handle. some don't even had 300 whp and they go kaput. Really, if you baby the car, it should be fine. but then, what's the point of upgrading the VB and mod the car if you never drive it hard?

Well i don't baby it but it is not driven hard.. at the moment it is a daily driver and the mileage is getting up there.. close to 90k now.

was running a 20g/meth on there for about 12k .. stage II before that for around 20k.. when i went to the 20g the IPT VB was put in so thats when the fluid was changed last.. oil changed every 3k

i do go WOT but im not nearly as hard on this car as i was my other rides

current setup right now is an FP Red/100% alcky and the supporting mods needed

i could go through and list all the mods.. my tuner made the current tune conservative for the mere reason we don't know about the trans.. est 390-400whp right now but would make prolly 20-30+ whp by making the tune more aggresive

512whp/465ftlb 2005 5EAT Legacy (Build Log)

Videos -

-

ah i see. well, as long as the VB is handling that much power. the FP Red probably helps because it spools up a little later and it's really that low end torque that kills these trans (or so it seems). So I would think the larger turbos do much better on the 5EAT.

Yea alot of torque downlow kills the tranny(apparently), intresting to see you put the fp red on it. I want to go 20g, I guess it wasn't enough for you?:lol: When I decide to start moding the engine im probably going to go straight with a bt and skip stage 2 because I keep hearing about how all these stage 2 5eat are having more problems. I was thinking of either going 20g or sz49 but I thought I heard that you have to relocate something in the engine bay if you to the sz (Maybe im thinking of something else idk). The only thing that sucks is that im not a huge fan of fmic but if I go to 20g or above I know I really should. Thats why I have been looking into vf-52 but I think you might get a torque spike downlow, got to see more graphs! Good Luck with the car!

have not really drove the car much after the tune.. just got it retuned this tuesday.. basically do not have a 1st or 2nd gear.. 3rd gear is pretty short as well.. pretty quick.. im happy for sure

trans is holding up fine for now but well see in time

the 20g was a good turbo and required less.. but yea.. you get greedy :)

Videos -

-

I couldn't imagine how crazy it is to put it in 5th and punch it? Fun probably to say the least?:lol: After seeing more people going bt it makes me want to. I love my car I will not deny it but I have to honestly decide how long I will be keeping my car to see if I can justify the expense. Maybe if I just go balls out that will justify me keeping my car for a long-time. :lol:

You my friend are a genius, I guess you have just justified my justification. Didn't even think of that. So you just recently retuned the red? Have you considered going with a fully built ipt tranny? I know its alot of money but its a hell o insurance, iamboon is running a very similar setup with the ipt tranny. I think i read the thread when you first got the red and he was talking about it so you probably know what im talking about. And you didn't answer my question about 5th gear?:lol:

Mike's wagon put out about 400whp w/meth and I think he just hit 100k on the same tranny. I think he said he has a spare tranny just in case. I have a 5mt so my 340whp 20g w/ EWG is fine.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I think the wear and tear and ultimate failure comes primarily not from the clutchpacks clamping down and holding it, but the time in between shifts, when the tranny releases the gear and goes for the next. THAT is when all that ungodly torque is spinning them gears like mad y0 and the "grabbing" of next gear is problematic. It may not even do so and just decide to provide some feedback along the lines of "kaboom" followed by "clunk-clunk". The IPT VB will, from what I have read so far, decrease the time between each shift AND increase line pressure, thus resulting in the 5EAT biting in those gears quick and hard with no "riding the clutch for comfort" nonsense. My last and only conversation with IPT assured me a VB mod + a good cooler should be good for 350-400awhp, all other things being equal. Nobody is willing to sign any papers offering a guarantee though ;)

I have attempted a long and tiring process of investigating not only the OEM maximum rated torque on the stock 5EAT, but also exactly what model and specs it is built to. It appears to be a closely guarded secret shrouded in ... secrecy. FHI buys the JATCO parts and assembles it all in-house. Nobody is to say they are not choosing to use weaker or stronger parts. What those parts are is anyone's guess. IPT, who opens these things up for a living hasn't been able to give me a straight answer either. Neither did FHI/Subaru or JATCO, nor any of the tuners I have talked to. They genuinely don't really know and Subaru/FHI/Jatco won't release the specs due to possible liability exposure. (you guys said it could handle xyz torque and it failed, I'm suing you all to oblivion!!!one)

If a straight official answer is what you are looking for, you will probably not find it. If you do, you will be my new best friend. All you will have is anecdotal evidence.

Our only chance, I think, is to have a friend on the "inside".

a good subaru mechanic told me with the ipt it would be good up to 450hp.. he may have been talking crank hp.. also said the stock trans is good for 400hp.. not so sure about the tq tho.. and of course anything down low will just blow it to bits.. this is the big plus to larger turbos on the 5eat

either way whats done is done.. its just a waiting game now lol.. if it handles it well we may up the ante

Videos -

-

I think the wear and tear and ultimate failure comes primarily not from the clutchpacks clamping down and holding it, but the time in between shifts, when the tranny releases the gear and goes for the next. THAT is when all that ungodly torque is spinning them gears like mad y0 and the "grabbing" of next gear is problematic. It may not even do so and just decide to provide some feedback along the lines of "kaboom" followed by "clunk-clunk". The IPT VB will, from what I have read so far, decrease the time between each shift AND increase line pressure, thus resulting in the 5EAT biting in those gears quick and hard with no "riding the clutch for comfort" nonsense. My last and only conversation with IPT assured me a VB mod + a good cooler should be good for 350-400awhp, all other things being equal. Nobody is willing to sign any papers offering a guarantee though ;)

I have attempted a long and tiring process of investigating not only the OEM maximum rated torque on the stock 5EAT, but also exactly what model and specs it is built to. It appears to be a closely guarded secret shrouded in ... secrecy. FHI buys the JATCO parts and assembles it all in-house. Nobody is to say they are not choosing to use weaker or stronger parts. What those parts are is anyone's guess. IPT, who opens these things up for a living hasn't been able to give me a straight answer either. Neither did FHI/Subaru or JATCO, nor any of the tuners I have talked to. They genuinely don't really know and Subaru/FHI/Jatco won't release the specs due to possible liability exposure. (you guys said it could handle xyz torque and it failed, I'm suing you all to oblivion!!!one)

If a straight official answer is what you are looking for, you will probably not find it. If you do, you will be my new best friend. All you will have is anecdotal evidence.

Our only chance, I think, is to have a friend on the "inside".

yes, I believe you are right on. that is what my techs told me 2 yrs ago and why I had to go with the VB upgrade.... to get the time it takes the car to actually SHIFT into the next gear down instead of it trying to be "smooth". that's when we noticed that slip.... it was taking way too long for the car to actually shift gears.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived