LegacyGT.com

New to Subaru - Snow Question

Hi,

Owned my '99 Legacy GT for about 2 weeks (and love it).

I'm driving into a literal snowstorm Xmas morning (snowboard addiction). The winter storm warning for the Sierras is about a foot or two over Xmas eve and into Xmas afternoon.

The car has all-season tires (lots of tread) and I will be carrying chains. Question is... how much snow can this car handle? I drove it to the mountains a few days ago with about 4 inches on the ground, and it had ZERO problems. I'm wondering how it would do with about 8-12" on the ground?

Thanks very much for the replies. Happy holidays.

Last winter I had no problems with about 8 inches of fresh snow, I am not sure if you would want to tackle that amount with wet or heavy snow though. Your biggest problem will be with getting high centered, if you have the clearance chances are you won't have any problems.

last winter i had no problems with about 8 inches of fresh snow, i am not sure if you would want to tackle that amount with wet or heavy snow though. Your biggest problem will be with getting high centered, if you have the clearance chances are you won't have any problems.

+1

Hi,

Owned my '99 Legacy GT for about 2 weeks (and love it).

I'm driving into a literal snowstorm Xmas morning (snowboard addiction). The winter storm warning for the Sierras is about a foot or two over Xmas eve and into Xmas afternoon.

The car has all-season tires (lots of tread) and I will be carrying chains. Question is... how much snow can this car handle? I drove it to the mountains a few days ago with about 4 inches on the ground, and it had ZERO problems. I'm wondering how it would do with about 8-12" on the ground?

Thanks very much for the replies. Happy holidays.

This is a physics problem.

When you can no longer move forward is when your forward traction is not enough to overcome the drag resistance of the snow in front of or underneath the car.

Honestly, Subarus are good for snow but I'm not sure if they're good for deep snow. SUVs with higher ground clearance are much better for deeper snow. I personally think 8-12" is pushing it in snow with A/S. I've driven an Accord around with ContiExtremeContacts and the dept of snow where it may no longer move forward is about 6-7". The Subaru will be better, but I have yet to have real world experience to tell you by how much better it is.

This is a physics problem.

When you can no longer move forward is when your forward traction is not enough to overcome the drag resistance of the snow in front of or underneath the car.

Honestly, Subarus are good for snow but I'm not sure if they're good for deep snow. SUVs with higher ground clearance are much better for deeper snow. I personally think 8-12" is pushing it in snow with A/S. I've driven an Accord around with ContiExtremeContacts and the dept of snow where it may no longer move forward is about 6-7". The Subaru will be better, but I have yet to have real world experience to tell you by how much better it is.

Agreed. As it is a GT (not an outback), clearance will definitely be an issue. I only hope that since it will be fresh (and light) snow, the car will be able to plow through (to a certain limit of course).

I have an outback with studded tires, and the max amount of snow I can reasonably drive in is 18". That is pushing it, but its doable. more than that and I start getting stuck. The legacy has less clearance, so I'd say a bit over a foot is your limit of whats reasonable.

I've seen a max of 2 inches of snow so far this year.. WTF, I hate you guys..

we have almost 4 feet here.... (and more coming :mad:)

All the snow you want, it's yours. you haul it.

I drove fine in a foot of snow in my stock height LGT. once i got over maybe 15".... i slowed down a tad and got high centered in front of my neighbors house. only time i got stuck, and it just HAD to be in front of the neighbors after i explained to them my car gets around great.

we have almost 4 feet here.... (and more coming :mad:)

All the snow you want, it's yours. you haul it.

I drove fine in a foot of snow in my stock height LGT. once i got over maybe 15".... i slowed down a tad and got high centered in front of my neighbors house. only time i got stuck, and it just HAD to be in front of the neighbors after i explained to them my car gets around great.

that's great. snow tires?

stock RE-92's this winter.

i doubt winter tires would have helped, i had like 10 feet of snow in front of my car i was pushing. my neighbor came out and asked when i bought the snowplow...

LMAO. Won't that mess up the front end of the car though? I can see the heavy snow breaking the front bumper...

stock RE-92's this winter.

i doubt winter tires would have helped, i had like 10 feet of snow in front of my car i was pushing. my neighbor came out and asked when i bought the snowplow...

LOL nice. Ah well Once I live in an area that gets more than 1 foot of snow a year on a regular then I'll think about getting dedicated winter wheels but for right now in the DC area, I don't need it.

^ +1.

And also.....

I'm, I think, the fourth or fifth one on this thread who thinks that you'll be fine, as long as you don't get high-centered. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived