LegacyGT.com

'95 Subaru Legacy LS AWD 252,600 miles

Problem unsolved scenario: Radiator cracked. Smoke coming out of crack. I patch with Epoxy resin/putty, works until its driven, then coolant seeps/boils/bubbles out. I figure *hey* ill just get a brand new radiator. I do for $130. Takes me all night in 20 degree weather to unhook and re-hook hoses. I fill the radiator just under full. I turn the car on. No cracks, no smoke. 30 seconds later: Smoke coming from under car. After 5 mins I check temp gauge, its low. I look under car, there is smoke coming from the catalytic converter/pipes area under transmission. White smoke. This is sometimes normal for this car, for it had a loose screw one time, and trans fluid was leaking onto pipes, burning/smoking because of it. Is this normal? Has anyone else had this problem? I used 50/50 coolant.

What does the smoke smell like? Coolant has a distinct sweet smell when it burns.

My forester recently had a slight leak on the lower radiator hose after I did the timing belt/water pump install. That stuff got everywhere!

Get under the car, wipe it all down and make sure all your hoses are tight. Top off with anti freeze and monitor for changes in coolant level when cold.

Archived