LegacyGT.com

Almost rear ended someone today. BAD ABS?

virulosity

I was driving home in the rain today when the traffic suddenly stopped. I stomped the brakes as my car has ABS, but it just continued drifting forward with little deceleration. It felt like I would have stopped faster by locking up the brakes with no ABS! You can feel the pulsation as if it is working but it is alarming how much it doesn't slow the car down. I tried easing on the brakes to maximum braking force at the next stop and it worked fine. Anytime I slam on the brakes though, they are almost useless. Is this a common problem? I read about this being an issue with the 02-03 WRX. I may be selling my car over this as it is quite scary.

Ahhh yes. Lets blow it way out of proportion and sell the car over something that can be fixed for tens of thousands cheaper.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

ABS generally won't help you stop sooner than with good old fashioned threshold braking techniques.

ABS is for n00b drivers that never bother to learn the limits of a cars' systems.

ABS is only good for slowing down towards something and needing to steer around it at the last second if necessary.

Practice Threshold braking and you'll notice that you will stop much shorter than if you just stomp on the brakes and activate ABS.

I understand that a car takes longer to stop in the wet, however what I experienced is beyond reason. I am using Kumho Solus tires, but the tires aren't the problem if I can accelerate in first gear harder than I can brake. I think having the wheel speed sensors disconnected may actually have improved performance.

I know what you're talking about - I only had it happen once, but in my old '05 LGT I remember slamming on the brakes and invoking ABS at a red light, and sliding into the intersection in a situation where I could have easily stopped without the ABS working. The car literally just kept going - I couldn't replicate the same thing later, though, and it hasn't happened yet in my '06 spec B. I thought it might have been the SS brake lines at the time, and I haven't installed them yet on the spec B. Do you happen to have SS lines?

You could just leave a greater distance between you and the car in front :rolleyes:

Well, i could have just not driven in the first place if I had known my car wouldn't stop. I must have gotten complacent from driving "modern" cars like my 1998 camry. I can see how people would be skeptical if this hasn't happened to you yet though. FYI the brakes are stock and they are in good repair, the tires are kumho all-season "Solus" which I have had mounted on other cars I have owned and performed great. This is definitely an electronic problem, not tires or brakes. Had I pulled the e-brake I probably would have stopped sooner.

I wouldnt do that its bad for the dif ;)

PS this entire thread is the result of driver error; learn threshold braking.

Panic braking can happen due to distractions or whatever and it can happen to anyone. It's a fact of driving. (especially as we get older and the reflexes slow a bit...) I feel the ABS system on the Legacy is a bit to eager to engage even when its not needed. Even when my 18x8's are on the car the ABS system goes off while exerting gradual force on the brakes and the tires are not squealing even in the dry. Is there a way to raise the threshold where it engages?

While I agree when others are saying you should modulate the pedal well yourself, I also have to agree with you in saying that this is the worst brake pedal and system I have felt. When ABS kicks in, it doesn't sound good or feel good. The ABS in my Avalon worked well, without funny noises or crazy feeling through the pedal.

Archived