LegacyGT.com

05 LGT - 5MT - cold weather question

stingray1967

Ok guys, it is DANG cold here in MN this week. The dash temp display has that funny looking line in front of the numbers (negative).

When I start the car and it is below zero outside, and try to put it into first, I feel like I just about have to break the shift knob off to get it to go into gear. Is this normal?

This is the second winter with the car. It did this last winter too. I just changed to Red Line fluids in the diffs and tranny.

Thoughts?

Ok guys, it is DANG cold here in MN this week. The dash temp display has that funny looking line in front of the numbers (negative).

When I start the car and it is below zero outside, and try to put it into first, I feel like I just about have to break the shift knob off to get it to go into gear. Is this normal?

This is the second winter with the car. It did this last winter too. I just changed to Red Line fluids in the diffs and tranny.

Thoughts?

It's normal. Mine is garaged all the time and never gets below freezing and it's still real stiff on the first few shifts. It just takes a little while for the gear oil in the tranny to start flowing when it's cold out.

Let's kick this pig!

It's doing this with redline? how cold are we talking about? I've been down to 15 degrees and mine doesn't take that much effort (my 110 pound wife is the daily driver, and she manuevers it just fine at 6:30 am when she leaves the house). I'm using AMSOIL 75w110, which should have slightly worse cold shifting characteristics than redline (still a ton better than stock).

I have yet to experience any cold grinding with the AMSOIL. Stiffness? Yes. But not "break shifter" stiff.

Joe

It's doing this with redline? how cold are we talking about? I've been down to 15 degrees and mine doesn't take that much effort (my 110 pound wife is the daily driver, and she manuevers it just fine at 6:30 am when she leaves the house). I'm using AMSOIL 75w110, which should have slightly worse cold shifting characteristics than redline (still a ton better than stock).

I have yet to experience any cold grinding with the AMSOIL. Stiffness? Yes. But not "break shifter" stiff.

Joe

Joe, yes I have Redline oil. Today, the temp outside is all the way up to 15 or so, but the last few days have been -10 for a low and zero for the high.

I find that getting into first isn't half as bad as shifting from first to second. It was in the low twenties the past couple days and it's about five minutes of gentle driving before things warm up. I don't beat up the engine until the temperature gauge reads in the normal operating range.

This morning was 4F when I started the car, although I think we were negative over night. Redline 75W90NS in the 5MT, and not at all stiff. I had it running for 3 minutes while I scraped frost off the windshield, but shifting was fine as usual for me. I've had it in for 1.5 years and 23K miles so far. I've been happy with it in all conditions.

It is certainly far superior to stock fill in cold weather.

--Lee

it's been frigid here in nyc lately... about 10-20F. car starts up just fine, and i have no problem getting it into first, and then going from first to second.

now, trying to downshift back into first while the car is moving, even VERY slowly, is next to impossible!! and this is with Subaru Extra-S....

I find that getting into first isn't half as bad as shifting from first to second......

On a cold, frosty morning, I have found the 1 to 2 shift to be much easier if it is done at 3000 rpm. Any slower, and the shift is very reluctant.

..........now, trying to downshift back into first while the car is moving, even VERY slowly, is next to impossible!!.........

Same experience here, on frigid mornings, for the first few minutes. Have to come to a complete stop to get into 1st gear.

Same experience here, on frigid mornings, for the first few minutes. Have to come to a complete stop to get into 1st gear.

Same here. just let the car warm up more. Though 13F is about as cold as it gets here in DC :p

Archived