LegacyGT.com

Visiting Denver: Things to do/know?

needforsleep

Hi guys, I'm planning on visiting Denver/Colorado between December 27-31 and was wondering if you guys had any recommendations. I've heard about the 16th Street Mall, the Rockie's Nat'l Park, Denver Mint, The Tattered Cover, Red Rock and some other things.

I'm also planning on spending a day skiing.. or trying :lol: (first time) So.. Anything else to visit? And is there something to do at night.. besides bars/clubs if possible?

And since I'm planning on taking the Legacy (stock tires), I wanted to know if it'll be safe to drive around or should I look into finding another way of getting around town?

Thanks guys! Sorry, lots of stuff to read / questions. :)

Hi guys, I'm planning on visiting Denver/Colorado between December 27-31 and was wondering if you guys had any recommendations. And since I'm planning on taking the Legacy (stock tires), I wanted to know if it'll be safe to drive around or should I look into finding another way of getting around town? :)

Just drove through the Rockies around Thanksgiving. It was snowing lightly and I noticed several/many signs/warnings about chains and "pockets" on the side of the road where vehicles are allowed to stop for 1/2 hour to apply/mount chains. We have Kumho Ecsta ASX all weather tires but I sure wouldn't want to be caught in a real snow storm in that area with the present set up. Saw a lot of Subarus and I'm certain most/all use dedicated winter tires......Be real careful and enjoy your trip......Peace

Since you are from Houston do you have any experience driving in the snow? If not I would try avoid taking the RE92 up the mountain if it's snowing. You should be fine just driving around Denver metro area but up and down the mountain passes in the snow is another story altogether.

Since you are from Houston do you have any experience driving in the snow? If not I would try avoid taking the RE92 up the mountain if it's snowing. You should be fine just driving around Denver metro area but up and down the mountain passes in the snow is another story altogether.

This will be my first time driving through snow covered roads. The driving right now is the biggest concern for me.. The forecast for Denver seems to be okay.. But I'm not sure I want to risk it. :redface:

Enthusiast, thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into them. Anywhere else to visit?

How about: Red rocks, Crystal Mill (Marble Colorado), Garden of the Gods (Colo Springs), Coors Brewery, Hot springs (Glenwood) just to name a few.

that's about a 4 hour driving radius assuming no crappy roads in the mountains.

Red Rocks and Garden of the Gods are awesome places but not to fun to visit this time of year.

Coors brewery is vastly overrated... go to Ft. Collins and the New Belgium Brewery if you want an amazing experience with fantastic beers.

Glenwood Hot Springs is cool, highly commercialized but driving from Denver (4 hours in semi-crappy roads with moderate traffic) will give you a great "surficial" tour of Colorado's mountains.

needforsleep

if you want to avoid the mountains and stay low and are into music....

December 27th at the Boulder Theatre, The Motet is playing their annual NYE show. This year they're covering Talking Heads. That's going to be a ton of fun. On Dec 30th Rose Hill Drive is at the Boulder Theatre doing Led Zep II - will be an awesome show.

Fox Theatre Boulder also has Lotus playing on the 30th... kind of a hippie/rave scene

There are probably some great shows in Denver that week as well

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. It doesn't really matter how far out of Denver I have to travel. As long as the weather permits, I want to explore the area. So every suggestion is appreciated.

Concerts was something I had forgotten about. Other then looking at the red rock pavilion I haven't looked elsewhere. Are there any other venues? I think that if the concert isn't worth it though then I'll stick it out. I want to get the most out of the little time I have up there and concerts usually take up a good amount of time. The 27th concert does sound fun but I won't be able to make it.. :spin:

Be careful on the snow-packed highways - even if you can see asphalt. Even with dedicated snows, AWD, and going straight along smoothly at 50-55mph it's possible to wipe out, hit a guard rail, and go spinning down black ice off the other side of the road into a ditch. If this happens, you'll get cited for careless driving ($167) and will have to pay $176 to a tow company to winch you out of 24" of snow 20' down the road where your car stopped right before hitting a tree. Then you'll have to deal with insurance, embarrassment, etc. I'd avoid letting that happen at all costs as I hear it sucks. Check cotrip.org for road conditions and be careful.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

That mountain drive up to Glenwood Springs is really a pretty damn fun and beautiful drive for a 4-lane highway. Going over both of the passes is really cool and [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofmWJmK2w8U&feature=related]driving Glenwood Canyon[/ame] (not my video) is one of my favorite drives anywhere!

I recommend spending a half or full day in Boulder. There is no place like the Pearl Street Mall and there are a couple great canyons to drive up just a minute out of Boulder. There is a Meadery that does tours/samples and several microbreweries.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Archived