LegacyGT.com

Any known vendors that make 5EAT upgrades/swaps?

Soda Popinski

I'm looking to swap out my gearbox or upgrade it so I can have faster shift times, much like you see in F1 or rally cars... usually 3/4 of a second.

I've searched all over google for places that do complete gearbox rebuilds or swap outs, and I'm not sure where to really start looking. I know they exist, because there are legacy racing teams out there that use them.

Any names, brands, suggestions would be helpful.

Price is not a concern at this point.

VB mod is essentially a shift kit. it just allows the car to shift quickly, without the delay of grinding gears and slip. however, it does not make the car shift faster when you tell it too, so there is still a delay in manual mode.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

because it was made to be a sports sedan, not a sports car. ;) if you want a true manumatic, then you buy a BMW, Audi or even the new GTR. but then look at the price tag.... the LGT wasn't designed or built to be a racecar really, we just like to have our cake and eat it too (and trying not to spend that extra $10-$15K up front).

I've driven a BMW Z4 coupe with manumatic and it shifts when you want it to, but hardly what I'd call fast. it's zippy, sure, but a stg 2 LGT will eat it. The GTR.... well, different story and you can't even compare an LGT to it, so not fair to compare. I've not driven an Audi, so can't tell you on that one.

does the TCU adjust for the new IPT VB mod line pressures to keep it in the "comfort shift" zone? i remember reading someone thinking that was happening with theirs. wish we could crack that TCU....

I remember that interesting point being brought up. I don't think there was a definite answer but I am sure IPT took that into consideration. I'll venture a guess and say that the TCU has no way of overcompensating the hardware mods that allows the 5EAT to engage gears faster. In other words, it's not the line pressure alone that does this. Line pressure is just another aspect of it which allows higher clamping force and thus holding down more power. From what I have read, I think that if line pressure was way out of spec, the TCU would throw a code. This is an ongoing question I have in the back of my mind wether or not the TCU manages to negate some aspect of the mod, but again, I think IPT took this into consideration. It's something I will address with them once my VB goes in for modding come spring.

I remember that interesting point being brought up. I don't think there was a definite answer but I am sure IPT took that into consideration. I'll venture a guess and say that the TCU has no way of overcompensating the hardware mods that allows the 5EAT to engage gears faster. In other words, it's not the line pressure alone that does this. Line pressure is just another aspect of it which allows higher clamping force and thus holding down more power. From what I have read, I think that if line pressure was way out of spec, the TCU would throw a code. This is an ongoing question I have in the back of my mind wether or not the TCU manages to negate some aspect of the mod, but again, I think IPT took this into consideration. It's something I will address with them once my VB goes in for modding come spring.

I can't answer your question as I don't drive a Legacy, but I do have a decent understanding of the Forester XT 4eat's. I have a full rebuild from IPT. (You might find this little info interesting anyway.)

The Foresters have "direct control" transmissions which basically means they are more electronically controlled compared to the other Subaru 4eat/5eats. The valve bodies don't do much for the Foresters since the TCU sees the higher line pressure and compensates for it. You can only push the line pressure so much on them or you will throw a transmission code, which will in turn make the shifts even slower. The shifts with the IPT valve body are def. more firmer than stock, but I bet they aren't anything like they are in the Legacy's/WRXs.

Sigh, If someone would just come out with a TCU Reflash. :icon_cry:

Yeah I second that notion. I spoke at length with the guys at IPT, and they said the only thing that will make your tranny stronger is the upgrade/rebuild. That is what costs the almost 5 grand.

A VB mod just decreases the spongy feeling during the shifting-IOW just reduces slippage during shifting, in turn lowering heat produced by the slipping clutches during shifting-increasing the life of the clutches and tranny. I also was informed that in reality the stock 5EAT can handle only about 260 wheel ft/lbs of tq. before things start to really get stressed. That is easily right at a stg. 1.5 setup and tune.

This makes going any further(stg 2 or up) really hairy without a rebuild.

Now the rebuild is a complete VB mod, new clutches and other consumable items, an upgrade to the pump, and a special series of treatments to the gear sets for hardening to increase their power handling capabilities to around 450 ft/lbs wheel tq. The only issue is that you have to send them your FULLY FUNCTIONAL AND GOOD transmission. So no car to drive if your leggy is the only one you have. These folks seem to have thier stuff together, so I would recommend them if you have the cheese to do so. And that is my two cents worth.:cool:

Not to turn yet another thread into an IPT/VB/rebuild thread, but what you wrote is a bit discouraging coming from these guys that know what they are doing. My convo with them a while back was almost the opposite of what you've said, they were pimping their VB as THE starting point and end solution to Stage 2. Either they've uncovered new info, more people are going "extreme" Stage 2 or Stage 3 and sparing no mercy for their AT, or they just wanna sell more full rebuilds ;)

Regardless, I know my driving habits, I'm going with the VB mod but first I want to clarify the line pressure issue. Also, I've been in two JATCO auto-equipped cars this past week and it was reassuring for me to see that they shift exactly like mine does :)

FXT 4EATs are completely different from our 5EATs.

and fishbone, yes, I agree:

1. VB Mod for Stg 2+

2. Rebuild when it goes boom

I pray that everyone understands that the rebuild is not with new gears---it is with your existing tranny---in a fully working state--- not busted---as IPT will not touch it!!!!! I have already called them about this---they don't replace any gears, just treat them cryogenically. There are no new gears involved at all with the "rebuild" just new clutch packs.....:mad: Please do not assume they will fix your busted transmission, as they won't-I asked already. They only "upgrade" working trannys.

They do sell their upgraded clutchpack kit though, at least from what I have seen online, as standalone. So unless I misunderstood, it's only a matter of getting a shop to put it all in. However, your issue is not a clutchpack issue.

This is tru--around 800 dollars, but this is just a portion of what the "rebuild" includes---aside from these clutch packs, there are upgrades/changes to the pump, the gears are hardened and the VB is moded.

I pray that everyone understands that the rebuild is not with new gears---it is with your existing tranny---in a fully working state--- not busted---as IPT will not touch it!!!!! I have already called them about this---they don't replace any gears, just treat them cryogenically. There are no new gears involved at all with the "rebuild" just new clutch packs.....:mad: Please do not assume they will fix your busted transmission, as they won't-I asked already. They only "upgrade" working trannys.

well tell that to the several people who had their trans go out and had them rebuild it. Maybe it wasn't the gears that were busted like in yours.

SeeeeeYa, JerseyGlock, Hybrid22L and a few others.

Archived