LegacyGT.com

1997 Legacy Wagon Rear washer valve stuck?

burbs

I'm not sure if anyone else's car does this, but my car started to do this over the past week in my 1997 GT-B (which I'm still trying to figure out how to bring back to the States).

When I'm accelerating in first and second gear, my nozzle for my rear windshield starts spurting out fluid. And the rate at which the fluid is released increases with the rate at which I'm accelerating. If I'm mildly accelerating, you can see the fluid start to dribble out and rise up the window (it sprays from the bottom to the top). But if I'm accelerating hard, then the water will spray up as high as if I were turning the knob to spray the fluid.

I thought maybe that perhaps my cap was off, but it's not. It looks like it may be related to boost, but I'm not sure how that can be because I thought the vacuum system from the reservoir in the engine bay to the rear of the car runs on its own setup. I know that when I accelerate, it comes out slowly until the boost builds up in the first turbo, then when the second turbo kicks in, it's just gushing out.

It's pretty neat, but it's beginning to become messy. My white car is now bluish along the rear bumper and over my license plate. :(

It just feels like something's not closed all the way, like when you have a leaky faucet.

Any clues? Is there a valve I can check for? It feels like a valve may be left open to prevent this from happening.

I don't think that there is a valve, just a pump.

Maybe something is starting the pump?

As long as you are spraying water I don't think that there is anyone that can write a ticket for it - as long as you don't soak pedestrians.

Anyway - does this also happen if you have the windows open?

Easiest would be to just not fill the tank but leave it empty and resort to cleaning the window at the gas station. I have a wagon and don't really worry about the rear window being a bit dirty.

453747.png

The pump works fine and dandy. SQUIRT SQUIRT See? :)

It works with both sun roofs open, and my windows open as well. It's clearly putting water on the rear windscreen when I accelerate. I was observing it today, and managed to have the water spray onto the windscreen all the way to fourth gear. If I'm normally accelerating from a stop, you can watch the water rise up as the acceleration builds up... a slow trickle that rises higher and higher with more boost. Then it dies down until the second turbo kicks in, and then up it goes again!

Since I live in England and near farms, it rains a lot, and there is a lot of mud being tossed on my car. I can't drive w/out the fluid. :(

I posted this message to another car crazy people forum, and three people there suggested the valve, which is why I mentioned it. I just wasn't sure if anyone with a BG body style Legacy wagon had this problem. The car is definitely creeping up there on age, but I have under 40,000 miles on the car. So some things just aren't functioning like new any more.

I was thinking of the setup my old '92 had where there was a separate tank for the rear window.

But on my '04 there is a pump for the spray, not a valve. So I suspect that you have a similar setup.

What about plugging the rear window sprayer?

453747.png

• 1 year later...
Sorry to bump this old thread but I'm having this same problem with mine and its driving me nuts! I just went outside and pulled apart the rear hatch and just noticed a tube that went from the car to the nozzle. I'm not seeing anything that would look like a check valve. Do you think the valve might be up in the washer housing?

I could never figure out why that sprayer didn't play well, but I really suspect it to be a valve. I did notice that if I had my washer reservoir less than half-filled at the front of the car, there didn't seem to be enough to spray the water unless I was under hard acceleration. It worked a lot like how your toilet flushes, I suppose. But if I put a lot of fluid in the reservoir, it would just spray out the back every-time I accelerated.

Sadly I don't own that car any more since I just moved back to the US 2 months ago. I wish I could have brought it back because I do miss it! Even if it squirts all over the place!

Archived