LegacyGT.com

clutch comparison - drove a buddy's 06 bmw 330i today...

I've never driven a MT BMW, but out of the 4 auto's I have driven I have found that the gas pedal seems harder than my clutch pedal in my LGT. It doesn't surprise me that people are comparing the mini and bmw as having the same clutch feel, heck they may even have the same parts in them...but from all the MT cars that I have driven subaru seems to have the heaviest to me too, I like it though, it makes me feel a little more in control

I've not tried the clutch on a Bimmer lately, but I will say that UUC Motorwerks short shifters are to BMW/Audi/VW, what Kartboy is to Subaru: pretty much as good as it gets. Or so I've read on most forums for a looooooooooooong time.

Just to share my experiences (owning a 2006 Civic SI and an 08 LGT 5-speed)...

The Civic SI feels normal until I get back into it from the LGT. Then my foot pounds the floor the first time I use the clutch on the SI. However, I am able to modulate the clutch much more so....the SI doesn't feel like it gives much clutch feedback, until you get used to driving the LGT. Then the SI clutch is fantastic :)

The stiffest clutch I've ever personally felt is on my father's 99 porsche boxster. Yeah, I don't know why. I have 24" thighs and 16-17" calves and pretty damn strong legs naturally, and that clutch tires my left leg out in traffic.

BMW has changed their clutch dramatically with the ~2006 e90 3-series.....they shortened the clutch throw and improved the feel. Before that the clutch throw was longish with a soft pick-up in the middle due to the clutch delay valve (satan spawn!) on all their manual transmission models.

e46 and e39 3 and 5-series owners (respectively) often install the following:

1. Remove clutch delay valve.

2. A clutch stop that shortens the clutch throw distance

3. A shortened shifter and a weightened shift selector rod for more solid shifting.

As someone who intends to move from a 2006 civic SI to a 2003 BMW 540i 6-speed, I can comment a fair amount on the differences in clutch feel (let alone shifter feel).

Joe

My 05 LGT Limited clutch is the heaviest of any car I've driven. Lightest was a Ford Mondeo Ghia, then the Mondeo Diesel Zetec. After that the Talbot Sunbeam, Nissan Maxima, Volvo 200, Vauxhall Cavalier, Nissan Almera, Peugeot 207, Peugeot 407 and finally the LGT.

Switching from the LGT to the Mondeo for a week was scary - the clutch is like breathing on a feather. I prefer the feel of the LGT (although it took a while to get used to how low the bite point is) but after spending 3 hours in a stop-and-go tailback in the LGT I distinctly remember offering to sell my eternal soul to the devil for an automatic.

Archived