LegacyGT.com

05 lgt 5EAT stalling

Dawrah

so here goes (im kinda new at this).

last winter up in northern NY (ADK region) around 19 degrees F, my car would stall when i shifted from park to drive or reverse. sometimes the car was cold and i just shifted, but i would also let the car fully warm up while i desnowed the car and same problem, stalling. over spring i changed out both differential fluids and drained/refilled the tranny twice and threw in a bottle of lucas. so far this winter its been fine, 5 degree F and shifted fine in the cold. once i got home though last wk in 34 degree F, it happend -->warmed up, shifted to drive and stall. this only happens on the first shift from a parked state, never while driving.

usually when i shift, my foot is fully on the brake.

if the problem happens i lightly step on the brake and shift

tranny does studder a little when shifting from park to drive, but not bad

ideas?

-power flush?

-going torque converter?

thx to all in advance

so here goes (im kinda new at this).

last winter up in northern NY (ADK region) around 19 degrees F, my car would stall when i shifted from park to drive or reverse. sometimes the car was cold and i just shifted, but i would also let the car fully warm up while i desnowed the car and same problem, stalling. over spring i changed out both differential fluids and drained/refilled the tranny twice and threw in a bottle of lucas. so far this winter its been fine, 5 degree F and shifted fine in the cold. once i got home though last wk in 34 degree F, it happend -->warmed up, shifted to drive and stall. this only happens on the first shift from a parked state, never while driving.

usually when i shift, my foot is fully on the brake.

if the problem happens i lightly step on the brake and shift

tranny does studder a little when shifting from park to drive, but not bad

ideas?

-power flush?

-going torque converter?

thx to all in advance

Your attention to maintenance is admirable. However, I doubt your stalling issue has anything to do with the transmission or your diffs.

Since you do not stipulate, I have to assume you have a stock car without any 'tunes' or aftermarket parts. (otherwise you are misleading) Try disconnecting your battery for a bit, and see what happens. Who knows, maybe it has some glitch or residual learning in fuel trims that a fresh start will improve.

Happy Holidays

well to clear up some more info then. battery has been disconnected several times, i've done audio installs and what nots, nothing that would affect drive train. that hasnt helped it really. the issue happened for the first times while i was stock last winter. since last winter, during the spring while the tuning bug hits you, ive have insalled a light weight crank pulley and cold air intake. and as you have prolly seen in my other post, ive alsp done headers and uppipe. so now my car is no longer stock but still has the issue occuring as when it was stock.

i do know i need to clean the MAF, looked a bit dusty when i checked.

maybe if i ever get my tune, they can help correct the issue

one last note, fuel inectors are REALLy noisy, noisier than my friend's 04 FXT

• 11 months later...
Thread bump. This winter I have stalled the car 3 times in the same spot on the way to work; this morning it almost stalled. I bumped the idle revs up by 125rpms using the APv2 and that seemed to help. Anyone else having problems with this? I am starting to wonder if it is injector/fueling related. It happens when the car is just warming up, where the temp needle is right around the first notch on the gauge, usually meaning 130*F. It doesn't stall while waiting at the light, it stalls when I touch the throttle. It shudders and the revs instead of going up, they go down and the motor dies. Almost like it chokes.

That's weak. I sit on the gas pedal and usually take off at 3800rpm :lol:

j/k

HAHA. The only person more anal on this forum about their 5EAT other than me is you! lol. the way me and you take care of our 5eats, they will be on stg2 for 50k without problems....psh...launching at 3800, who does that? lol

Had the issue ever since I have owned the car and it was bone stock. Never died on me back then though, it just shuddered, choke and spat. I think some of the mods I have now have exacerbated the issue to the point that it stalls the car. When there is snow on the ground so basically when the car has to "dig" to get out from a dead stop and she is cold, it may happen. As far as temps, 32*F and below.

Mods that I am sure are not helping :lol: are light crank pulley, tranny mount and increased tranny line pressure due to the modified valve body. Fluid is probably thick at the time, there is resistance and the motor is running at too low revs to be able to "fight" it. Once the ATF warms up, the revs climb a bit and the problem goes away.

By having increased the idle revs I have basically "forced" the car to idle a bit higher even when in gear and the ATF is cold.

I feel badass having done so, as if I have a huge V8 with cams and a lumpy idle :lol:

Had the issue ever since I have owned the car and it was bone stock. Never died on me back then though, it just shuddered, choke and spat. I think some of the mods I have now have exacerbated the issue to the point that it stalls the car. When there is snow on the ground so basically when the car has to "dig" to get out from a dead stop and she is cold, it may happen. As far as temps, 32*F and below.

Mods that I am sure are not helping :lol: are light crank pulley, tranny mount and increased tranny line pressure due to the modified valve body. Fluid is probably thick at the time, there is resistance and the motor is running at too low revs to be able to "fight" it. Once the ATF warms up, the revs climb a bit and the problem goes away.

By having increased the idle revs I have basically "forced" the car to idle a bit higher even when in gear and the ATF is cold.

I feel badass having done so, as if I have a huge V8 with cams and a lumpy idle :lol:

This will be my first winter modded so I will watch out for it. I have already found out that my Cobb catted dp is a good bit stinkier than the stock was, atleast outside the car.

Archived