LegacyGT.com

Ok so on my 2006 2.5i 5MT, I have recently noticed that my car is not revving as quickly as it used to. When i rev the engine up and disengage the clutch, I'm at 1500 RPMs where usually it will rev up to 2000 and I take off. I know my driving habits have not changed, its definetly the revs.

Also seems like the engine hesitates a second before it revs. I have started to hear a grinding noise after I hit the gas but before the engine revs. This all happens within a few seconds, but it is not the norm. Anyone have any ideas?

Going to the dealer next week...

have you disconnected the battery lately? i noticed that when i do, the throttle gets really laggy, i even stall sometimes because of how different it is. but as the computer learns again it gets better.

Hmmmm I just disconnected my battery to clean my air filter last week. Probably twice within the past 3 or 4 months.

Disconnecting the battery does cause the engine to lag pretty bad for a day or two. Pretty normal for me considering I disconnect my battery usually every few weeks cuz im messing with something. The ECU has to re-learn a lot of stuff. But that does not totally explain your problem. You say when you rev it, and then disengage the clutch youre at 1500 rpm, when youd usually be at 2000 rpms, correct?

How high do you rev it to when you do that, till the limiter kicks in or at 6000 rpm or something? It seems like the engine wants to go down to lower revs quicker. Thats different than your engine not revving as quickly as it used to. You and I have basically the same car, so to me it sounds like your engine is lagging for some reason. If this keeps up or gets worse, check your engine with an oil pressure gauge. The reason the engine might want to settle down quicker is because its losing pressure rapidly when you tap off the gas. Just a theory but I know the tendencies of our cars.

Disconnecting the battery does cause the engine to lag pretty bad for a day or two. Pretty normal for me considering I disconnect my battery usually every few weeks cuz im messing with something. The ECU has to re-learn a lot of stuff. But that does not totally explain your problem. You say when you rev it, and then disengage the clutch youre at 1500 rpm, when youd usually be at 2000 rpms, correct?

How high do you rev it to when you do that, till the limiter kicks in or at 6000 rpm or something? It seems like the engine wants to go down to lower revs quicker. Thats different than your engine not revving as quickly as it used to. You and I have basically the same car, so to me it sounds like your engine is lagging for some reason. If this keeps up or gets worse, check your engine with an oil pressure gauge. The reason the engine might want to settle down quicker is because its losing pressure rapidly when you tap off the gas. Just a theory but I know the tendencies of our cars.

Well it seems like now I have get the revs up to about 2500 before I can disengage the clutch and get the car going. Seems like its getting a little better. When I am sitting in the car though, and I hear this noise when i rev up, it almost sounds like it is coming from the transmission or the exhaust, not so much the engine itself. I'll look into this dude, thanks.

I'd still go see the dealer. It won't hurt, and they may suggest something (you should still have warranty, so no cost).

Not for that symptom at 47k unless he has SAS Gold. Only other thing that could cover it would be an ECU reflash for that condition which is covered 8/80k

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

5yr/60k on powetrain items...like the engine.

Internal engine, trans and axles. You can have issues with the engine, but if it is not internal and falls under those guidelines, then it does not fall under powertrain. His concern doesn't sound internal but more with the DBW/Throttle body related and that is not powertrain.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Yeah, to me, this does not sound internal at all. The engine is in excellent shape. Starts smoothly, idles well, accelerates smoothly. I have also noticed that when I shift from 3rd to 4th, I hear this loud ticking/rattling noise in between shifts. This is only when I hit the clutch and pull out of 3rd gear. I'll get a chance to go to the dealership next thursday/friday, ill give them the scenario and see what they have to say. Any possibility this may be a drivetrain issue?

Yeah, to me, this does not sound internal at all. The engine is in excellent shape. Starts smoothly, idles well, accelerates smoothly. I have also noticed that when I shift from 3rd to 4th, I hear this loud ticking/rattling noise in between shifts. This is only when I hit the clutch and pull out of 3rd gear. I'll get a chance to go to the dealership next thursday/friday, ill give them the scenario and see what they have to say. Any possibility this may be a drivetrain issue?

There could be a possibility it could be powertrain related. Who you taking it to? Perry?

Ok, went to the dealership today. According to them, I have a rod bearing going out. They hear ticking when the engine is revved up to the top end of the RPMs. They will attempt to make a case with Subaru to try and get it covered under warranty. I'm taking every service receipt I have to them tomorrow. The service rep. is estimating the cost to be around $1,200.

The only explanation I got was that this is due to starving the engine of oil. I do routine oil changes every 3-5K miles. The car was preowned with 24K miles when i purchased it. I was under the impression that we have a 60K mile powertrain warranty right?

Ok, went to the dealership today. According to them, I have a rod bearing going out. They hear ticking when the engine is revved up to the top end of the RPMs. They will attempt to make a case with Subaru to try and get it covered under warranty. I'm taking every service receipt I have to them tomorrow. The service rep. is estimating the cost to be around $1,200.

The only explanation I got was that this is due to starving the engine of oil. I do routine oil changes every 3-5K miles. The car was preowned with 24K miles when i purchased it. I was under the impression that we have a 60K mile powertrain warranty right?

Yes, the powertrain is 5/60k. When you have the possibility of a spun bearing, SOA, like all manufacturers wants the maintenance records for proof they were done. Most likely they will have to go into the motor to find out for further proof.

Haven't heard from Perry Subaru yet, I'm considering taking to Casey to see what they have to say.

Have you called Perry to see what is going on? You have already had issues with Casey why would you even take it to them?

Archived