LegacyGT.com

QUESTION: Legacy GT 2005+ 2.5T Gas Mileage

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
down to 18 mpg (mostly city) this winter

was getting 20+ city in better weather

18 city in winter.... :mad: I want your winter right now. 3+ feet of the white crap on the ground, and more coming

i'm between 13-15 now.

but warming the car up just kills the MPG.. get in car with temps at/near 0 just sucks.

Average since purchase is about 18-20 with lots of hard city driving. On a normal tank and in S mode I get 19mpg with 80% freeway, on a hard driving tank in S# I get about 17mpg and on the freeway in I mode I can get 25 mpg.
^ n00bs below this line

18 city in winter.... :mad: I want your winter right now. 3+ feet of the white crap on the ground, and more coming......

I'm 30 miles east of you, and I think I've shoveled 1000 lb of snow in the last 2 weeks!:mad:

This most recent tank, I think I will only hit 17 mpg, because of snow and temps below 15 degF. In the summer I am usually around 21.5 mpg combined.

How are these people saying they get 30mpg?!?! I recently took a 1.5 hour trip south of here that I stretched out to about 2.25 hours cuz the road was so icy. Where I would normally go 70 and get 24mpg, I was doing about 45 the whole way and still only getting about 25.5mpg (according to the trip computer.)

I drive like an asshole, this is true, and that's why my city driving mpg suffers. But this was highway slow going, 5th gear all the way on cruise. How are ppl puttin up these insane Civic-esque mpg marks? I'm calling bullshit.

How are these people saying they get 30mpg?!?! I recently took a 1.5 hour trip south of here that I stretched out to about 2.25 hours cuz the road was so icy. Where I would normally go 70 and get 24mpg, I was doing about 45 the whole way and still only getting about 25.5mpg (according to the trip computer.)

it's all in the terrain, RPM/speed.

I can get 30mpg in the city in I mode, flat ground and about 30mph 5th gear. Had the video to prove it also. (it's here somewhere in another thread)

I'd assume if you look where these people live that get 30mpg on the freeway, i bet they were driving on flat ground, and toss in some downhill.

if you are concerned about MPG on the freeway, do speed limit, note MPG. go 5mph above, note MPG. and decide what MPG you want compared to the speed. the higher RPM's you go.. the worse it gets. We drive Turbo'd cars, once we get in the RPM range where we are always on the Turbo... (3000+ or so right?) the MPG will drop, and significantly.

70mph MPG, and 80mph MPG will be a big difference... there is a thread that someone said at 70mph we should be like at 2800rpm or something, at 80 we are closer to 3400 rpm.

The thread.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102134

you will see a big difference once you stay over 3k RPM.

Except for 1 pass, i drove my car home 2 hours and averaged 25mpg on fairly hilly roads. (65ish) i'm sure i could gas up and reset the trip meter, get on the freeway and drive for 2 hours and get close to 30mpg if all i did was drive easy.

I drive like an asshole, this is true, and that's why my city driving mpg suffers. But this was highway slow going, 5th gear all the way on cruise. How are ppl puttin up these insane Civic-esque mpg marks? I'm calling bullshit.

Be aware that slow-going highway is a lot of slow-down/acceleration which increases the consumption.

It also depends on the terrain - terrain with a lot of hills and valleys uses more fuel.

453747.png

I thought the Legacy got better mileage than what you guys are reporting. I used to get 23-24 stock, but I get ~21.5mpg now that I'm on stage II. ~22.5mpg on stage I. My gps says I avg ~30mph total. ~35mph total moving avg.

I was feeling a little guilty about my mpg, though I have no regrets to going stage II. I was reading a bunch of COTY mini reviews and there were a lot of cars <=300HP and they were getting 20mpg or less observed during their testing. Didn't feel so bad after that.

I get about 19-20 city and up to 27 hwy like on a trip to Reno which still involves

mountain pass driving. My 05 is pretty much stock as far as I know anyway, seems like it runs too good to be totaly stock. Maybe a stage 1 in the pewter I dont know about ??? Hwy speeds 65-75 mph

^ Averaging 20mpg with my driving style, I'm not too upset & I have a slight miss at idle too (need to check plugs & coil packs)..

Welcome to the Subie studder.

I got my outback about a month ago and have driven 2400miles so far, and I have averaged 18.6mpg according to the car computer, or 18.1mpg according to my gas tracker program. This is 80% highway driving, highway alone I see about 20mpg going 82mph, seeing posts about above 3000rpm I might slow down to 72mph next trip and see if i can hit 22mpg. In the city I see about 16mpg.

I have to admit aside for the constant studdering I love turbo but def miss the mpg of my 07 civic si, which never got less then 24mpg of constant flogging, and got 32mpg going 80-85mph.

Yeah, consider driving at 70mph compaired to 80mph, which should net significant savings in mpg. Take it easy on the pedal for a tank of gas & I think you'll be pleasantly suprised.

Secondly, the studder is a completely different issue compared to what I'm talking about.. I still get studder at low rpms under load, but any Subaru should be just as smooth at idle as any other car, if running properly..

Yeah, consider driving at 70mph compaired to 80mph, which should net significant savings in mpg. Take it easy on the pedal for a tank of gas & I think you'll be pleasantly suprised.

Secondly, the studder is a completely different issue compared to what I'm talking about.. I still get studder at low rpms under load, but any Subaru should be just as smooth at idle as any other car, if running properly..

Then there is something wrong with mine, cause my studder is there randomly from idle to WOT under about 4k rpm. And its cured by disconnecting the battery, and is happy for a week or so.

Then there is something wrong with mine, cause my studder is there randomly from idle to WOT under about 4k rpm. And its cured by disconnecting the battery, and is happy for a week or so.

Check that the injectors are OK, and also that the O2 sensors are OK.

If one injector is giving too much it may cause the ECU to mis-tune the others.

453747.png

My car says I average about 21.8 or so.

What sucks is that my gas light came on last night, with only 280 miles on the tank. That royally sucks. Of course, I've probably got a couple gallons left at that point, but...

Archived