LegacyGT.com

anyone rig 2 air compressors together ?

I have a 15 gallon craftsman. And it just doesn't put out enough air long enough. I need a bigger compressor! but the large ones are BIG money. I have searched craigslist and can find some AWESOME deals on 15 gallon 4hp and less compressors...

Now my question is, has anyone rigged these together to equal a bigger compressor??

I need more air output to use my paintgun... would this work ?

how would I go about rigging them together ??

You would have more air supply. Meaning it would last longer before needing to kick back on. It should be able to maintain pressure for longer then normal too. But as for getting a higher pressure rating I don't think it's possible unless you get a more powerful motor on it. As for whether it is even possibe to combine the two in the first place I have no idea.

You can do it but you'd be much better off going with a larger tank and selling the one you have. For one the motor will have to work double than it was designed for since it will be filing more space. Plus the air recovery time will be horrible.

• 2 weeks later...

If the two compressors are the same PSI then it should work. If you have a 100 psi unit and a 150 psi unit you may run into problems with the larger psi unit trying to fight the lower psi unit. Either way, you should install a check valve in each unit on the supply side. Also ensure you are running both compressors to fill the larger volume.

Some questions and thoughts...

Are you regulating your paint gun? Most paint guns will run on 80-90 psi without any problems. Many tend to forget this and run at the max the compressor will put out. The tool doesn't need the extra pressure and can reduce the tool's life and also contribute to shorter spray cycles.

If you have the compressor I think you do(the same one that I do) the tank and compressor are all one unit. However, have you checked into the price of just a tank? You could hook it up to the smaller tank at 150 psi and regulate out of the larger tank to the gun. You will get longer spray times, but you will be resricted to a 'duty cycle' of spraying meaning you may be able to spray for 30 minutes instead of 15. However you will still have to wait for the tank to refill between cycles. As was mentioned earlier, this will put extra stress on the compressor and lead to a shorter life.

How much spraying are you doing? You may be able to rent one if it is a one time deal. Otherwise, I hate to say it, start saving for a big compressor. It will pay for itself!

Good luck!

Archived