LegacyGT.com

94 subaru legacy cooling fans

94 legacy L all wheel drive, the cooling fans operate all the time, cold or hot. I have replaced the temp. sensor, have 4.88 volts at the plug at the sensor, relays check ok. If I reset the computer the fans operate correctly ! Any info on what i need to check next.

Thanks, Otis

Have you put the car in Dcheck mode (connecting the green and black connectors) to see if it is throwing a CEL?

OBDI cars sometimes store codes within their ECU without illuminating the light on the dash.

The PCS is part of the emissions system, so it shouldn't hinder the operation of the car relative to what your current issue is.

How is your speedometer? Is it working properly?

The Vehicle Speed Sensor, within the gauge cluster will cause the ECU to run the fans constantly if it has gone bad. Usually if the VSS is bad, your gauges (other than gas) will be inaccurate or wacky.

I want you to check if the main fan A/C relay is stuck in closed position, it may be as simple as that.

It's in the fuse box under the hood.

It shall be easy to remove, and when removed you can test it and also measure the voltages as well as see if the fans stops.

If the relay is OK, check the evaporation thermo switch.

453747.png

OK the speedometer does not work, it is cable driven and the speedometer gear in the differental is gone, this is a mail car right hand drive. I have read that this car has 2 speed sensors, one in the speedometer head and the other is in the tail section of the tranny. It will cost me 800.00 + to get the speedometer fixed according to a local tranny shop if I pull it out.

Otis

I have checked the main fan relay . It is good. I will check the evaporation thermo switch. Where is it located, my Haynes manual is not the best source of info for locating some parts.

Otis

Well, if the VSS within the transmission is bad, it would deffinitely throw a CEL code 33.

But, either way, if the gear is busted, dropping the tranny is the only way to fix it.

I'm just not 100% that would solve your fans running constantly if your ECU isn't recognizing a problem with your VSS.

I'm getting the code 33 and 35 . Looks like the fans will have to run, I wonder how long they will last. We have had this car about a 1 1/2 years and it was just a back up mail truck. The speedometer has not worked for years, I have replaced the sub fan motor with one from the junk yard. Do you know if the original fans can be purchased beside getting them from subaru.

Otis

Archived