LegacyGT.com

How durable is the stock clutch

Andreu

After a interesting night i was wondering how durable the stock clutch is. I have no power mode but i dumped the clutch after a hard brake at almost what seemed to me a slow roll. Then came the clutch stink. Previous to that incident i had two well wear slips, on at the track and one on a very steep hill.

depends on how you do it.. i've been racing for the car for 3 years now (I dont do many stand still launches).. my car has about 85,000 miles and it's still biting strong. I have not made any power, but I do run on sticky race slicks (which does take a toll on it from stand-still launches).

You may want to look up on how to do rally-style launches with turbo cars.. turbo cars need to build some boost to get some torque out of them.. spinning up the flywheel at high rpms isn't going to help you in a launch.

Keefe

For most of us the OEM clutch is weak at best. All 3 of my GT's over the years would slip the clutch backing up in 3" of snow. There are a number of clutch complaints here.

I have a Spec 2+ and love it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm still on the stock clutch after 44k miles. 20k was previous owner who was getting 28mpg over the last 5k according to the trip computer.

I have put ~16k on it at stg 2 and the rest with an 18G setup. I've only launched a few times and never with the 18G - the stock clutch is holding strong.

Stock clutch was still going strong on mine up till 69k, swapped it out with the ACT - kit only because i was going FPGreen.

The OEM clutch did most of its duty as a DD with a vf40-18g and mostly with TD06-18g.

When we pulled the clutch out, it still looked great with LOTS of life left in it.

OEM clutch as been through two track days and one day at the strip.

~Sucka-Duck~

how much would it cost in buy and have a clutch installed altogether?

Interested in this too. I have stage 2 Spec B with 28K miles. Only 8 K have been on stage 2 and I just started noticing that when shifting into 3 and 4 it is slipping. I haven't done any hard launches or anything but oh well.

how much would it cost in buy and have a clutch installed altogether?

The install would probably be around $700 to $800 because they have to drop the tranny. The price of the clutch depends on what you get, they range from wicked cheap to :eek:

Archived