LegacyGT.com

Sad Day At Snowbird

skiskank

from what i have heard, she was retrieving her ski that had popped off when the slide buried her.

it puts things in perspective for sure.

i'm putting the helmet back on, because freak accidents happen, even a small spill can leave you jacked-up.

very sad. it's a shame they did avalanche control earlier in the day... I'm wondering if there was a large increase/decrease in temperature to cause a slide...

and skiskank: not only wear a helmet, but if you (like some others and myself included) like to hike up past where the lifts go, an avalanche beacon or SOS beacon is a must have. can't put a price on life.

brian

^^^^

yes i do... i have the backcountry access tracker dts, and my jacket has the recco chip as well.

that same day there was another avie in the park city backcountry and now my wife is freaking out about my backcountry ventures, she made me promise to stay out of the backcountry....dammit

very sad. it's a shame they did avalanche control earlier in the day... I'm wondering if there was a large increase/decrease in temperature to cause a slide...

and skiskank: not only wear a helmet, but if you (like some others and myself included) like to hike up past where the lifts go, an avalanche beacon or SOS beacon is a must have. can't put a price on life.

There was a large increase in snow, not temperature.

All of the west has very high risk for avalanches right now. Major snow + wind + underlying weak layers are everywhere. This past weekend was insane with multiple accidents.

Archived