LegacyGT.com

Outback vs. Toyota Venza

I have not driven the new Toyota Venza, has production actually started?

Agreed, the Outback's segment is coming under fire. At first blush the Toyota would have the perception of having the greater refinement of the two I would think ~

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

The Venza will more likely compete against the Tribeca. It's not really a wagon, more of a crossover vehicle like the Nissan Murano or Ford Edge.

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/20081210/Venza_14.jpg

Also, AWD is optional and I suspect plenty of folks will buy it without that $1500 option.

Also, AWD is optional and I suspect plenty of folks will buy it without that $1500 option.

Also, it being available in a FWD flavor means the AWD system cannot be terribly robust--at least not by Subaru AWD standards. More of a reactive "kick-in after I'm alread stuck" type of system.

Tim

I used to work at Toyota and drove a Venza several times. I can tell you it feels more like a lowered highlander then a camry sedan with a wagon back.

They are nice cars but very boring to drive just like most other toyotas are. The V6 has pep but to get one of the nice v6 ones they are 38k dollars! Base models are also alot higher priced then the outback, and from what I'm told only 2-7% are to be AWD. We have an AWD one and it an awefull hallidex system.

Nice car for people who want a bigger matrix or a smaller highlander.

We have an AWD one and it an awefull hallidex system.

Any information on how this particular Haldex system works? I'm assuming it's nothing more than a slip sensor in the transaxle which tells the Haldex to engage the rears.

My understanding is that some of the Haldex systems out there are pretty advanced, like in some of the Audis, etc. Not sure how they stack-up durability-wise to Subaru's AWD systems though. I just don't like FWD-based AWD systems to begin with because I personally don't like FWD :lol:

Tim

I would properly stick with Outback XT.... if you are tryin to go to the 2.5i one, Toyota will be the better bet....

Until now, I still don't undertand what the heck is Subaru doing.... that 2.5 NA engine is only good for the older imprezas or Elise type of car....

????

What is wrong with the 2.5i in the Legacy and Outback? I have never needed more power in normal daily driving. The HP wars have gotten ridiculous, cars used to get by with MUCH less HP than the 2.5i does. Now the 4EAT on the other hand.... ugh, it is my biggest complaint about my car.

????

What is wrong with the 2.5i in the Legacy and Outback? I have never needed more power in normal daily driving. The HP wars have gotten ridiculous, cars used to get by with MUCH less HP than the 2.5i does. Now the 4EAT on the other hand.... ugh, it is my biggest complaint about my car.

yea, that 4EAT drives me even more nuts....

Back then when Subarus are not as heavy as now, 2.5 engine + 4EAT gives you reasonable performance, and enough amount of power for some emergency acceleration, but now.... It's way heavier + that 4EAT, so it create a pretty big problem....

Weight is the major key! I am pretty sure Subaru know that, but don't want to deal with it

yea, that 4EAT drives me even more nuts....

Back then when Subarus are not as heavy as now, 2.5 engine + 4EAT gives you reasonable performance, and enough amount of power for some emergency acceleration, but now.... It's way heavier + that 4EAT, so it create a pretty big problem....

An excerpt about the new Hyundai 6 speed

For the customer, the new six-speed promises a performance edge. The transaxle will first arrive in the new Hyundai Grandeur/Azera equipped with a 3.3-liter V-6 Lambda engine. In this application, it delivers a 12.2 percent gain in fuel economy (10.1km/l versus 9.0km/l) and is 2.5 percent quicker in zero to 100km/h acceleration times (7.8sec versus 8.0 sec). It also delivers an 11 percent improvement in 60km/h to 100km/h passing performance (4.0 sec versus 4.5 sec).

????

+1

I wasn't sure about the 2.5i, but now that we have it in both the Outback and Legacy, it's fine (although I, too, would like a more advanced gearbox). I have no trouble merging onto expressways in either car (even in regular and not sport mode) and I'm up to 70-80 in no time. Sometimes you look at the speedo and you don't realize you're doing 80. We've taken the Outback on long trips and HP is never an issue. Plus, I don't have to buy premium gas. Where I live, more HP is simply a waste. And, frankly, while I have high regard for the entire Subaru line, if I wanted more horsepower for driving excitement, there are a lot of competitors out there. The Spec B, for example, is a great car, but in that price range, I might also take a look at a 370Z.

Archived