LegacyGT.com

Just got a Garmin nuvi 760

urs1ne

I just got a new Garmin nuvi 760 from Amazon for $250 shipped. I was just curious if anyone had any recommendations on how to mount it or anything along those lines.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-760-Widescreen-Bluetooth-Automobile/dp/B000UX9YJ0]Amazon.com: Garmin nüvi 760 4.3-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Automobile Navigator: Electronics[/ame]

^ n00bs below this line

Nice find, I think everyone should own a portable navi device. I personally like my TomTom's interface better than my father's Garmin but its probably just because its what I am used to. I haven't found a way to mount my navi to my liking yet. the suction cup never sticks for long enough. I've been thinking about velcro to mount since it can still be easily removed but I have not yet found a desirable spot. I'm subscribed for some creative suggestions.

i havent tried on the legacy but i usually mount mine where the speedo is, the suction sticks on to the plastic window, i usually mount mine where the gas F/E indicator is. this way its out of the way so its not noticeable for other people - to break in the car, but easy to view

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

i havent tried on the legacy but i usually mount mine where the speedo is, the suction sticks on to the plastic window, i usually mount mine where the gas F/E indicator is. this way its out of the way so its not noticeable for other people - to break in the car, but easy to view

or if that doesnt work, depends on car, i also make a small circle plate from the clear plastic on cd covers. and use some 3m double sided foam tape and mount it where the speedo is - the flat portion - perpendicular plastic glass - looks to speedo. if this makes sense to you.

i just like it where the speedo is cause all i have to do is to look down, and it doesnt sit on the glass/dash for thieves to see

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

I currently have my radar detector hard wired so it sits just below the rear view mirror, I was thinking about maybe setting it up similarly so they would sit next to each other or maybe above and below.
^ n00bs below this line

I currently have my radar detector hard wired so it sits just below the rear view mirror, I was thinking about maybe setting it up similarly so they would sit next to each other or maybe above and below.

Be sure to pre-test setup, before you commit to finalizing. ;)

The refresh rate of these screens can cause your detector's laser receiver to go crazy, and present with persistent falses!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I recently purchased the Garmin 765T, and I have to say I am happy with how I was able to mount it. I will get some pics up here for you guys, but here is what I did:

I bought the cubby mount here...http://www.subarucubbymount.com/index.html well before I bought the nav as I was originally intending to buy the 660. I figured I would find a way to use the 765 with the mount, and it turns out I was able to. I ran my wires behind the dash as many previous threads have shown, and then I found the mount I purchased would not allow the 765 to fit with the supplied suction cup mount. After some messing around, I found that I was able to angle the purchased cubby mount to fit the garmin without having to purchase the Arkon Travel mount.

Simply attach your suction cup mount to the front edge of the cubby mount and angle the back towards the top of the cubby. Run your wires and fit in place and it is secure as can be. I will post pics to show, but in the meantime I definately recommend purchasing the cubby mount in black.

Here are pictures as promised. It looks much better in person, and very clean looking. I ran the audio and power cables behind the dash and underneath to reach the elbow console. I pulled the mount out slightly in one of the pics so you can see where I ran the wires. Of course the mount with suction cup is easily removable, and when set in place it is holds perfectly.

I have not had the opportunity to compare this setup against the additional Arkon mount option, but this is definitely the easier and less expensive option.

CIMG180986.jpg.b07f9252878dda2df2ca9e65b3640dcf.jpg

CIMG181486.jpg.383af5c56fd5ae8d3275d14ffdeffb4f.jpg

CIMG181786.jpg.be789dbd7939b2cf9c2ed0fd103b42b5.jpg

CIMG181886.jpg.fd31e4477ccc54ec4f00195336e9de15.jpg

CIMG181586.jpg.61cc8b274fc52101b211edb4e9b70d29.jpg

You got me to buy another cable with the right angle...i got mine here...Im sure you would be fine with at least 5' just to give you enough play in the cable and help with running the wires. FYI, I drilled in the back passenger side corner of the arm cubby so you can fit the cables through.

Yea, I was thinking the same thing after I ran my wire. Its a simple 3.5mm male to male. The right angle wire would likely be the better choice. That was the only wire I had on hand, and im impatient when it comes to my car. :)

I'm pretty sure Radio Shack has a female to male right angle 3.5mm(1/8")adaptor that just plugs on the end of your straight cable to convert it, so you wouldn't have to rerun it.

Where did you plug the audio cord into your car?

Do a google search for Audiovox FMM100A aux-in modulator adaptor($45). You can order it online or purchase in larger stereo shops.

On my 780 I couldn't get the mount to the correct angle to utilize one of those black plastic cubby inserts that someone is selling on the site because my screen was too big to squeeze under the door. I just angled it at 45 degrees and pushed it straight in. The lever to the suction cup mount ends up clipping perfectly under the inner groove in the cubby allowing the screen to tuck under the door. Very secure and easily removable by just detaching screen and rotating the winshield mount out of the cubby. With all the theft issues it's nice to remove the GPS and close the cubby concealing all the wires(no windshield mount for thieves to break in thinking you put the GPS in the glove box or arm rest). I installed a 12v receptacle in the back right of the cubby for power and drilled a small hole for the 3.5mm(1/8") stereo plug to RCA allowing the GPS to play audio through the car speakers. On the '05-'06 LGT's you need a FM modulator cause there is no aux-in for the stereo(goes in line with your FM antenna wire to a small box that has RCA's out). It works and sounds great(no static like the FM transmitters have and without hacking into the radio or soldering(has one wire to ground and one for 12v switched). Just have to flip a small switch to activate the module(pictured in above post) and tune to 89.1. Let me know if you have any more questions.

urs1ne: I have a 2008 so I was able to run the audio the the arm cubby for a direct aux plug-in. I guess the 2007 does not come equipped with that option?

boosted: I believe you setup the mount the same way I did as angling the mount at a 45 degree angle towards the back. take a look at my pics...is that what you are describing you did also?

urs1ne: I have a 2008 so I was able to run the audio the the arm cubby for a direct aux plug-in. I guess the 2007 does not come equipped with that option?

boosted: I believe you setup the mount the same way I did as angling the mount at a 45 degree angle towards the back. take a look at my pics...is that what you are describing you did also?

Justyfid> looking at your pics seems like you used the black plastic cubby mount and tilted it about 45 degrees. I didn't buy one, just positioned windshield suction part at 45 degrees and pushed straight in until the plastic lever clips under the lip midway in the cubby. You cannot pull it out without rotating and pulling. Fits very snug and while the GPS is in the cradle it's tucked under the door(no movement whatsoever). I also have a 12v receptacle with the power cord stuffed behind the GPS.

Archived