LegacyGT.com

13:1 LHD steering rack available

I'd really like a quicker steering rack in the Outback. I can barely get my hand between the steering wheel and my right leg so it makes driving with lots of steering annoying and tricky.

You could always put LGT steering rack in it. It's 1:14.5 (or 1:15?, forget now) versus 1:16.5 your have.

unclemat, you should call up the guys in Canada (rev-labs) and get them to do the 11.5:1 that I used to have in my WRX. I only paid $1500 for it and Rev Labs used all OEM subaru parts and warrantied their work. (You send up a core, and about 2 to 3 weeks later, you get it back with 100% super fast steering). If the STi and the LGT have the same rack, i wonder if the normal 09 WRX and the STi have the same rack.. spend even less money at a junk yard and pick up a core for like $200 (that's what I did for my 02 back in the day).

screw having the 13:1.. I'm sure for $3100, you can get the Canadian guys to build you a 10.5:1 ratio rack for that price. That's total go-kart/rally driving. Just becareful with that kind of rack through, I used to understeer like crazy because I used to dial in too much steering when I drove. It was really really BORING to drive on public streets because I didnt have to move the wheel to switch lanes or even make 90 degree turns.

I sure missed my quick steering rack for my WRX :(

Keefe

Well, technically 08+ WRX/STI and 05+ LGT have the same rack. 04-07 STI has same ratio, but the rack is not interchangable I believe.

I heard that Canadian company is working on 08+ Impreza fitment so that will fit Legacy. 10.5:1 sounds extreme, I'd be happy with 12.5:1 I think.

Not sure i really want a faster steering rack, i dont drive on the track/mountain roads that often enough that i need that much more response, and with the stock steering rack, my car twitches enough from dead center position when i'm doing freeway commuting, requiring constant corrections, which is just annoying when it comes to boring urban driving. I think it's sensitive enough for everyday use.

I've driven USDM Evos with the tighter ratio steering rack, and its even more annoying when it comes to cruising, driving aggressively on the twisties tho, yes its an asset.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but our cars are GTs, and having overly sensitive steering kind of detracts from the whole 'long distance fast cruising experience' that a Gran Touring car is all about.

• 3 months later...

Archived