LegacyGT.com

Legacy Spec B - BMW 328xi

I never drove in Rhode Island a whole lot. Grew up in NH, and Bostonians are by far the worst I've ever encountered.

New Yorkers are pretty atrocious but often better.

I've been to RI and had cars drive 10mph under the speed limit on local roads to slow the traffic. Then that car will pull off, and a new car will get ahead to keep us slow. The 1st car will then turn around and slow down the oncoming traffic. ridic.

I like NH, I have a place in Laconia on Winnipesaukee.

Mass drivers are the worst. They don't even look or know what they are doing.

NY drivers may do something stupid, but they did it on purpose. That is much better than someone in MA who just isn't aware of their surroundings.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
how much power do you have with what you've done already?

I don't know for sure. The tuner road tuned the car as opposed to dyno tuning.

Unfortunately I live off the beaten path and would take me about 4 hours each way to get to an AWD dyno.

Based on results from other members with similar setups I'd assume that the car would be in the 300-320 whp and wtq area.

You really want a narrower tire in the snow rather than a wide one.

A guy named kpratte from NASIOC once had a really, really good thread, about 7 years ago, with an argument against that traditional thought. I checked the forums and couldn't find it, unfortunately, but I'll keep looking.

I don't remember the specifics but it was pretty interesting.

I know for the Wrangler you can't drive w/ front diff locked (4WD) over 30mph, but they might only have 4LO.

His wrangler had stock tires on it. They are still a lot taller and better suited than passenger cars.

I dunno, I never had trouble w/ my WRX's, but I know his wrangler could stay in RWD most of the time, unless it was real bad out.

OK, any time you are talking about locking front or rear differentials you are talking about 4LO. Locking those diffs makes turning a real pain the ass since the wheels at each end of the axle can't turn at different speeds. That is what causes the crabbing chirping turns you experience while trying to turn the vehicle in 4LO. 4LO is really at it's best getting out of something you shouldn't have driven into even in 4HI. In fact in many vehicles you should keep steering input to an absolute minimum in 4LO, and in order to get out of 4LO you may have to back up to unwind everything.:spin:

4HI will send power equally between the front and rear axle but it leaves those two axles to their own devices regarding putting the power down. If the rear axle has a limited slip that will still work, and the front axle will usually be open. Sometimes both axles will be open in 4HI.

A guy named kpratte from NASIOC once had a really, really good thread, about 7 years ago, with an argument against that traditional thought. I checked the forums and couldn't find it, unfortunately, but I'll keep looking.

I don't remember the specifics but it was pretty interesting.

I am going by what the tire manufacturers will recommend for winter tires. I am sure kpratte is an interesting fellow in his own right, but I'll go with what an actual expert suggests.:lol:

The advantage to a narrower tire on a slick surface is that it orients more of your contact patch in the direction you are traveling (forward/backwards). A wider tire will have roughly the same contact patch given equal weight and tire pressure, but the contact patch will be oriented more for resisting cornering loads (side to side/lateral movement). Since most people are not going to be out trying to race around corners in the snow, and are instead more concerned with forward movement (maximum tractive effort) a narrower tire will do a better job than a wider one.

The advantage to a narrower tire on a slick surface is that it orients more of your contact patch in the direction you are traveling (forward/backwards). A wider tire will have roughly the same contact patch given equal weight and tire pressure, but the contact patch will be oriented more for resisting cornering loads (side to side/lateral movement). Since most people are not going to be out trying to race around corners in the snow, and are instead more concerned with forward movement (maximum tractive effort) a narrower tire will do a better job than a wider one.

I agree with that 100%.

I've been to RI and had cars drive 10mph under the speed limit on local roads to slow the traffic. Then that car will pull off, and a new car will get ahead to keep us slow. The 1st car will then turn around and slow down the oncoming traffic. ridic.

where the **** were you driving? :lol:

I would say RI drivers are definitely the worst but ive never see driving like this...

<~~ Rhode Islander.

where the **** were you driving? :lol:

<~~ Rhode Islander.

LOL, this was many years ago, we were going to Newport to the boat show, but that memory haunts me to this day! I will only go to RI if its to Prov Place Mall cus I can stay on 95 the whole time.

When playing in the mountains the other weekend with my '08 Spec B and a friends '08 G35x, I can definately say there is a big difference between the two AWD systems. The Subie was like a mountain goat on the roads while the Infiniti was far more clumsy.

There is definately something to say about the rarity of the Spec B, I am not sure how common 3 series BMWs are out east but here in Alberta they are almost as common as a Mustang. I have had my Spec B for a year and have never seen another one on the road.

Yeah, there's just too many bimmers out there now, no longer feels special. The Spec B should be pretty unique, though it may make it more stealable, which is a drag...

how much power do you have with what you've done already?

Sunra: I would myself lean towards the Spec B, eventhough ive driven more bimmers then subarus. A bimmer is a highway blast vehicle. I don't think a subaru would be better in that respect but in all the others subaru would be my choice: better reliability, more powerful, more modifications that can be done, AMAZING awd (i love it).

I personally am a euro-ride lover and I find Legacy the closest to the euro feel with japanese reliability and possible modifications - thats the reason of my choice.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeash, my 325 was nice cruising on the highway, the engine really seem to come to life then; I can just imagine what the 330 would be like. But, the Spec B adds up much better for me now.

So... I'm seeing the dealer on Wednesday. Yeah! They said it'll take at least a month or so to find a grey one (there's three whites in town only). Looking forward to joining the club :)

I like NH, I have a place in Laconia on Winnipesaukee.

Mass drivers are the worst. They don't even look or know what they are doing.

NY drivers may do something stupid, but they did it on purpose. That is much better than someone in MA who just isn't aware of their surroundings.

yeah we learn in driver's ed that if you see an out-of-towner slow down to excruciatingly slow speeds to remind them not to come back..and if the person in front has to break off go jump in front to continue the lesson ;) (only now living in MA because I went to school here and now work here...)

I'm a Rhode Islander and believe that MA has the worst drivers. period. it's like someone gave a bunch of monkeys (i thought this would be "monkies" but it comes up as a spelling error) licenses and told them they get 10 bananas for every driving law and etiquette rule they break....and you know how much monkeys love bananas :lol:

anyway, to be on topic, i was looking at a used 330xi versus my used LGT and decided with the LGT. I've wanted a BMW for a long time but figured it would not be in my best interest to buy a heavily used BMW versus a lightly used LGT (being in my price range)...maybe a BMW some time down the road when money is no longer a care to me :p

Thanks for the feedback. Yeash, my 325 was nice cruising on the highway, the engine really seem to come to life then; I can just imagine what the 330 would be like. But, the Spec B adds up much better for me now.

So... I'm seeing the dealer on Wednesday. Yeah! They said it'll take at least a month or so to find a grey one (there's three whites in town only). Looking forward to joining the club :)

Looking forward to officially welcoming you to the club! :)

Update with more news as soon as they are available!

I am going by what the tire manufacturers will recommend for winter tires. I am sure kpratte is an interesting fellow in his own right, but I'll go with what an actual expert suggests.:lol:

Ken was going off of expert write-ups as well. Like I said, wish I could find it. Don't see it in the NASIOC archives, though.

I've been around car forums since 1997 so I'm not going to pay attention to a kneejerk reaction. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived