LegacyGT.com

Legacy Spec B - BMW 328xi

You may think that the difference between full time AWD and on demand AWD is laughable. That may be the case depending on your climate and the amount of poor weather conditions you experience.

The OP and I both live in Canada where we get a significant amount of poor weather. There is a difference between both AWD systems.

Yes, that's an important consideration for us. I live in a elevated, hilly area (Gatineau Hills) where there's often a significant amount of snowfall. I've already shoveled my roof once this winter (2 feet of snow) and it's not even January yet!.

I've been driving the bimmer 325 RWD and it's been a big hassle. Last winter (admittedly the worst we've seen around here in some time) I was stuck regularly (I dreaded going out!!!), whereas my wife's Subaru Impreza drove through the drifts like a snow plow. What a difference driving her car made.

It just seems to me full-time AWD is so much better than on-demand AWD in my environment, hence my decision now to purchase the Spec B.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's true I didn't care for my LGT very much by the time it went away.

I've been on here since right around 2004, and I know a lot of people. So, I think I'll stick around. Seeing as how it's a free country. If you can't handle differing opinions then maybe you should go elsewhere, otherwise your feelings are liable to get hurt.

Sorry, but I'm not going anywhere. I've been here since the 05 GT came out.

I've owned 4 Subaru's since 2000 and had no issues with any of them. Other than the wretched fan issue with the 05. I'm on this site because I love the car, not because I don't like it.

Sure it wasn't downrated. That's why a few engines were actually found to make more power than they were rated for, and others stayed spot on what they were rated for under the new testing (like all the BMW motors). The power is still the same measurement, the testing is just more strict on having all the belt driven accessories on the motor for testing. Which a reputable, ethical manufacturer would have done anyway. Nothing changed with the measuring system at all.

Okay, think what you like.

So the GT was 250 before. 243 after.

A difference of 7hp isn't a whole lot, and certainly not enough to get THAT concerned over, man. :)

Most of those sytems can't even send a ton of power to the rear/front. And we all know how great RWD is in the snow. I'd rather not deal with that and then hope the fronts turn on, a la BMW and Infiniti 4WD systems.

:rolleyes:

I live in South Dakota, in the Black Hills. Trust me when I say that we get plenty of snow and cold weather. A few weeks ago not far from where I live a blizzard dumped 48" of the stuff in one night. It had been snowing here consistently at least once a week since the beginning of December, and our first snow came in October.

I drive a 2007 Toyota Tundra with selectable 4 wheel drive. I rarely have to put it in 4X4 to get around in the snow, and that is running all season tires with no additional weight in the bed to aid traction. It does just fine.

You may think that the difference between full time AWD and on demand AWD is laughable. That may be the case depending on your climate and the amount of poor weather conditions you experience.

The OP and I both live in Canada where we get a significant amount of poor weather. There is a difference between both AWD systems.

Hello. I live in South Dakota. We get plenty of snow and cold weather. I drive around in RWD drive mode all the time in the snow and it doesn't do too bad even on all seasons. Maybe light truck tires are just better in the snow than passenger car tires.:confused:

Okay, think what you like.

So the GT was 250 before. 243 after.

A difference of 7hp isn't a whole lot, and certainly not enough to get THAT concerned over, man. :)

No it was always 243hp, it's just that Subaru took advantage of not having to run some of the power sapping accessories to come up with their power rating. Even though those devices would be on the car for customers. So they advertised it as 250hp in the car with everything ready to go, when in fact it was really only 243hp.

Hello. I live in South Dakota. We get plenty of snow and cold weather. I drive around in RWD drive mode all the time in the snow and it doesn't do too bad even on all seasons. Maybe light truck tires are just better in the snow than passenger car tires.:confused:

I think they're better than some passenger all seasons, for sure.

No it was always 243hp, it's just that Subaru took advantage of not having to run some of the power sapping accessories to come up with their power rating. Even though those devices would be on the car for customers. So they advertised it as 250hp in the car with everything ready to go, when in fact it was really only 243hp.

That's what I'm saying, though. The power levels never actually changed, they were just measured or advertised wrong, whatever you like. I don't really think that warrants some kind of conspiracy theory, though. I wouldn't even go as far as to call it more than a very minor change in things. People have gotten quite riled up about the subject since it all changed a few years back.

Siper2,

Could be. Based on my experiences with the wretched RE92's I would have to say most light truck tires would have to be better than those. Hell drag radials are probably more capable in the snow than RE92's. The last set of tires I had on the LGT were Conti Contact Extremes and they did very well in the snow, at least as well as the BFGoodrich Rugged Trails on the Tundra. Funny thing is the Rugged trails are considered to be a pretty lousy tire as truck tires go.

That's what I'm saying, though. The power levels never actually changed, they were just measured or advertised wrong, whatever you like. I don't really think that warrants some kind of conspiracy theory, though. I wouldn't even go as far as to call it more than a very minor change in things. People have gotten quite riled up about the subject since it all changed a few years back.

Everybody get your tin foil hats on and gather around.

It is OBVIOUSLY a conspiracy. Do you think it is a coincidence that the Spec B numbers went down and the Nissan GT-R's went UP? I think not......

:lol:

It is not a huge difference, but it still burns my ass that they would be that sloppy just for some marketing. If you are going to claim 250hp, then the engine had damn well better make 250hp in a form the customer can actually get. Acura was far worse though, if I owned a previous generation TL (270hp, downrated to 258hp) I would have been pretty well pissed off.

It is OBVIOUSLY a conspiracy. Do you think it is a coincidence that the Spec B numbers went down and the Nissan GT-R's went UP? I think not......

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! You'll wake the watermelons!

GT-R sucks to horsepower out of other cars for the use of GT-R!

When playing in the mountains the other weekend with my '08 Spec B and a friends '08 G35x, I can definately say there is a big difference between the two AWD systems. The Subie was like a mountain goat on the roads while the Infiniti was far more clumsy.

There is definately something to say about the rarity of the Spec B, I am not sure how common 3 series BMWs are out east but here in Alberta they are almost as common as a Mustang. I have had my Spec B for a year and have never seen another one on the road.

It is not a huge difference, but it still burns my ass that they would be that sloppy just for some marketing. If you are going to claim 250hp, then the engine had damn well better make 250hp in a form the customer can actually get. Acura was far worse though, if I owned a previous generation TL (270hp, downrated to 258hp) I would have been pretty well pissed off.

Accuracy should be present of course. I guess I'd be upset if it were 30hp or something, but I think you can get 7hp in a turbo car by adding a larger exhaust tip or something. :D

Now, if this were my old RS that'd be another story.... You have to pull teeth to get 10-15hp out of an EJ251, never mind the smaller powerplants.

I had a roommate in college with a Wrangler. He would keep it in RWD most of the time too. But those are gigantic tires compared to a passenger car. Plus a locking 4WD means locking the front diff, its not a computer transferring some % of torque when it feels like it you. You are manually pushing a lever and can't go over 30mph with it engaged (unless Toyotas is different)

Ha ha. All of the above.

Exterior: Tint, debadge, JDM aero spats, grill, xenons. Also have a modded STi replica spoiler (removed the LED brake light) which I haven't yet installed.

Performance: Goodridge SS brake lines, DBA rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Swift springs, Kartboy STS, Karbtoy bushings, Cobb DP, Autospeed CBE, Grimmspeed coated UP, AVO420 Crucial ported/polished/coated, Perrin TMIC, AVO intake, Wallbro 255 lph pump, Deatschwerks 750 cc injectors, Group A pulleys, ProTuned.

Also have ACT clutch and street lite flywheel that aren't yet installed. Plan on doing Cobb sways and possibly STi tranny mount in the spring. Have also been considering the Grimmspeed port/polish/coat of the exhaust manifolds and cross pipe but not yet decided.

There is a ton of things that can be done to these cars and a ton of useful information on the forum.

how much power do you have with what you've done already?

Sunra: I would myself lean towards the Spec B, eventhough ive driven more bimmers then subarus. A bimmer is a highway blast vehicle. I don't think a subaru would be better in that respect but in all the others subaru would be my choice: better reliability, more powerful, more modifications that can be done, AMAZING awd (i love it).

I personally am a euro-ride lover and I find Legacy the closest to the euro feel with japanese reliability and possible modifications - thats the reason of my choice.

When playing in the mountains the other weekend with my '08 Spec B and a friends '08 G35x, I can definately say there is a big difference between the two AWD systems. The Subie was like a mountain goat on the roads while the Infiniti was far more clumsy.

There is definately something to say about the rarity of the Spec B, I am not sure how common 3 series BMWs are out east but here in Alberta they are almost as common as a Mustang. I have had my Spec B for a year and have never seen another one on the road.

The G35x was that bad? Hmm, more reason to keep full time.

3 series is about as common as a Civic here in Boston. I saw a 325xi get towed from the rear once...ouch.

That is another issue, driving cars that are not clearly AWD. If you get towed you are effed.

I had a roommate in college with a Wrangler. He would keep it in RWD most of the time too. But those are gigantic tires compared to a passenger car. Plus a locking 4WD means locking the front diff, its not a computer transferring some % of torque when it feels like it you. You are manually pushing a lever and can't go over 30mph with it engaged (unless Toyotas is different)

If you can't do more than 30mph in 4X4 then something is really screwed up, like your 4HI is out. Now 4LO (as in low range transfer case) would top out at around 30mph....red lined in top gear. 4HI will get you along at highway speeds though, in fact you can shift into it at something like 55-60mph.

The big mud tires are not all that good in the snow either if that is what you are talking about. You really want a narrower tire in the snow rather than a wide one.

BMW is the unofficial car of Boston, man. You understated that one. :D

That and the blinkers are optional in Massachusetts.

BMW 3 series and Infiniti G35 are the official cars of Boston for sure.

Blinkers are used more in Boston than in NY where I am from. But Mass drivers are the worst, followed by Rhode Islanders who don't go over 40mph.

If you can't do more than 30mph in 4X4 then something is really screwed up, like your 4HI is out. Now 4LO (as in low range transfer case) would top out at around 30mph....red lined in top gear. 4HI will get you along at highway speeds though, in fact you can shift into it at something like 55-60mph.

The big mud tires are not all that good in the snow either if that is what you are talking about. You really want a narrower tire in the snow rather than a wide one.

I know for the Wrangler you can't drive w/ front diff locked (4WD) over 30mph, but they might only have 4LO.

His wrangler had stock tires on it. They are still a lot taller and better suited than passenger cars.

I dunno, I never had trouble w/ my WRX's, but I know his wrangler could stay in RWD most of the time, unless it was real bad out.

BMW 3 series and Infiniti G35 are the official cars of Boston for sure.

Blinkers are used more in Boston than in NY where I am from. But Mass drivers are the worst, followed by Rhode Islanders who don't go over 40mph.

I never drove in Rhode Island a whole lot. Grew up in NH, and Bostonians are by far the worst I've ever encountered.

New Yorkers are pretty atrocious but often better. Next in line for me would be Virginia. A lot of them think they own the left lane, even if they're going 10mph slower than they should.

Ahh, pet peeves. :lol:

Archived