LegacyGT.com

Legacy Spec B - BMW 328xi

Hi,

I'm new here, first post. Hello everyone!

I'm currently driving a leased BMW 325, and the lease is almost up. I've been looking at the Legacy Spec B... looks very nice.

I really need all-wheel drive where i live (Canada, in the country, hills, and lots and lots of snow!). The 325 I have is useless around here in the winter.

So, I'm looking at the Spec B and a BMW 328xi. Spec B is loaded, the BMW is, as usual, spartan.

Any thoughts on what's the best way to go? This year, I want to purchase. In the end, it may just come down to price, the Spec B being a bit cheaper.

If you had experience with both cars, it would be great to get your feedback.

Thanks!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you also have to realize that while AWD is a significant factor during the winter season, it is useless unless coupled with a good set of winter tires to put that traction down

i would test drive both, see what you think. of course the german interior will be better and coming from the 325, that may be a big factor for you.

BMW will get better gas mileage, but be slower. Personally, I am highly dissatisfied with BMW's maintence. $1000 for new tires every 15k miles and shotty interior quality, I don't think so. However, BMW in my area has so many 3 series on the lots that you can get em for cheapish.

I was cross-shopping a 2004 330i 4-door vs. my 2006 LGT, they were the same price, however, I have never leave my car stock and Dinan parts are too much $$$ :)

As for driving in the winter, I have Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's on my LGT, driving in the un-plowed parking lane on Metcalfe, O'Connor and Kent while bypassing traffic = priceless.

Hey folks, thanks for the feedback.

rao: yeah, when I looked at the 328 engine specs, I thought the Spec B was potent, even thought the bimmer is a 6-cylinder. I also read somewhere that bimmer's X-Drive was not "designed for performance", whereas the Spec B's AWD was (whatever than means). The Spec B's 240 torque is great.

katalyst and TPLGT: the dealer is offering me a free set of Pirelli Scorpion winter tires, which look pretty good from the research I did. I'd be spending a bundle for bimmer x-drive snow tires on rims.

SLegacy99: the bimmer interior always seems bit spartan to me. It's utilitarian, but does seems to have more interior space than the Spec B. It's an interior I'm used to though (after 2 bimmers and 6 years driving them). The Spec B seemed a little nicer - leather, fancy dash, and of course the GPS and satellite radio as part of the package, which are all extra on the 328.

fonts: that I like, being able to customize without spending a fortune!

Deaks2: way to go!!!

Some further thoughts, the bimmer's exterior styling is certainly more 'aggressive', which may not appeal to some folks, but I like it. The 2009 Spec B styling is more traditional, but I could live with it. In Canada, it only comes in two colours, the white and grey. Dealers in town (Ottawa) only have the white in stock), which I don't like, so they'd have to find me a grey.

:-)

Hey, I posted a long reply to everyone, but it never showed up! That's a drag!! I should have copied the text before hitting the post reply button.

Here's some quick notes:

- the dealer is offering me Pirelli Scorpions on the Spec B, and 0 financing among other incentives, as part of a deal; which seems good

- I think the Spec B interior is nicer than the bimmers, but the 328 exterior design is great (if you like that aggressive look).

- yeah, Subaru after market is a great

- bimmer's x-drive seems to inhibit performance, while the Spec B (with 240 torque) feels faster, though not as smooth as the 6-cyl bimmer's engine

- too bad the Spec B only comes in two colours up here; grey and white. Local dealers only have the white, which I don't like, so they'd have to find a grey model.

:-)

I'm sorta learning towards the Spec B for now.

Another thing to consider is long term use. The BMW will for sure cost more over time even with the new free maintenance for 4 years thing they have. Beyond that, it's your wallet getting raped. That, and BMW uses the Haldex system which (in case you don't know) is only RWD until a loss of traction in which the front wheels are activated via a signal. Not all time, remember that. European AWD other than the Quattro system is fail-tastic.

Good feedback about bimmer's AWD. Though I was under the impressions it's 'on' all the time. That seems to me, in our snow climate, is be an major issue...

If AWD is important to me, it is, seems the thing to do to go with a manufacturer who has perfected AWD, i.e. Subaru.

And yeah, bimmers cost a fortune to maintain, though I think their resale value may remain high over the years.

If you want to keep the European styling and resale, check into an A4 that's a year or 2 old. If you do, make sure it has a good Carfax, a detailed service history (a lot of people won't go the the dealer and therefore end up using crappy oil in a car that requires synthetic) and if possible, is either certified or still under the factory warranty which could be extended.

The only thing the 328 has on the LGT is the badge and sticker price if you ask me...very easy choice between those two. LGT all the way.

Price, performance, maintenance costs, better AWD........Plus you won't be one of a million lemmings driving that same car. ;)

Yeah, when I first go in a bimmer years ago, it felt great, but now they're everywhere! Spec B is still unique, not many on the road up here and, I think, in limited production. I do know it's going through a redesign for 2010, but early pixs of it look pretty ugly on the front end, though designs can change.

I compare BMW to a name like sony. They absolutely make a quality product, and I'd love to one, but take off the name and replace it with hyundai or panasonic and all of a sudden the price is down 20% for the same product. BMWs are simply marked up too high and when it comes time for repairs, you end up taking out a home equity loan. BMW is great that they offer the first couple years free, but subaru does also, only in a different way - reliability! You shouldn't have any real repair costs in the first 4 years anyway. After that is when subaru continues to do well and when you have to replace the a/c or something in the BMW for $2K (yes, that's what happened to me).

That's great feedback on Subaru's reliability.

What mods have you guys done or seen on the Spec B? Are you talking engine performance, exterior dress-up, interior features?

I've seen some exterior add-ons, around the lights and trim that look good.

I'd really like to add Bluetooth for handless cell phone use, but Subaru doesn't offer that as a factory option. Can that be done? I don't like using an ear piece.

On the other hand, probably better not to be using a cell phone in the car at all!

It might come down to pure economics. Edmund's shows a base price difference of only $705 between a stripped 328xi sedan and a full-boat '09 Spec. B. However, when you add all the options onto the Bimmer, I bet you come in somewhere around $45K or more, while the Spec. B stays the same. So you're looking at, let's say, a $10K difference with MSRP. Edmund's says the cost of owning the stripper 328xi is about $4K more than the Subaru. So, the question is, are you going to get that much more driving enjoyment for so much more money?

I owned a 5 series for nine years and that was one fine car. However, since the Bangle designs were launched, I find the 3 series interiors kind of cheap-looking and mismatched, while Subaru has done a great job. BMW's extra dashboard hump for the navigation looks downright awful.

It's true that you can find a lightly used A4 for a pretty good price these days, but: 1) it might very well be an ex-loaner car, and 2) its performance is no match for the Spec. B. I've also owned a great Audi, but when I was looking for lower fuel costs, AWD and interior amenities at the best price, it was a no-brainer to chose a Legacy over the A4.

IMHO, go with a Spec. B.

That's great feedback on Subaru's reliability.

What mods have you guys done or seen on the Spec B? Are you talking engine performance, exterior dress-up, interior features?

I've seen some exterior add-ons, around the lights and trim that look good.

I'd really like to add Bluetooth for handless cell phone use, but Subaru doesn't offer that as a factory option. Can that be done? I don't like using an ear piece.

On the other hand, probably better not to be using a cell phone in the car at all!

Ha ha. All of the above.

Exterior: Tint, debadge, JDM aero spats, grill, xenons. Also have a modded STi replica spoiler (removed the LED brake light) which I haven't yet installed.

Performance: Goodridge SS brake lines, DBA rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Swift springs, Kartboy STS, Karbtoy bushings, Cobb DP, Autospeed CBE, Grimmspeed coated UP, AVO420 Crucial ported/polished/coated, Perrin TMIC, AVO intake, Wallbro 255 lph pump, Deatschwerks 750 cc injectors, Group A pulleys, ProTuned.

Also have ACT clutch and street lite flywheel that aren't yet installed. Plan on doing Cobb sways and possibly STi tranny mount in the spring. Have also been considering the Grimmspeed port/polish/coat of the exhaust manifolds and cross pipe but not yet decided.

There is a ton of things that can be done to these cars and a ton of useful information on the forum.

I've driven a 335xi extensively and it's an awesome car, leagues apart from the LGT. Drove a loaner 325 from the dealer one day and honestly, I couldn't wait to get out of it. Feels like a rental car, both in terms of dynamics and finish. No comparison to the LGT in my mind.

I've driven a 335xi extensively and it's an awesome car, leagues apart from the LGT. Drove a loaner 325 from the dealer one day and honestly, I couldn't wait to get out of it. Feels like a rental car, both in terms of dynamics and finish. No comparison to the LGT in my mind.

Yeah, I agree, the 335 is a very hot, beautful car, but it's up to $60K CDN here with sports package and metallic paint. That's way too much for me, that's why I was looking at the 328. But I think now the Spec B is probably all round a better deal than the 328.

with 200 ft.lbs of torque and a 3600 lb curb weight, it doesn't matter how the wheels communicate with each other.... :lol:

It does have xDrive, Intelligent all wheel drive system, which is superior to all other all wheel drive systems because it is intelligent and the others are not ;)

xDrive, intelligent all-wheel-drive system

Unlike other all-wheel-drive systems, we've built ours with rear wheel bias for surefooted grip on slick roads, without sacrificing the feel of rear wheel drive. It smartly sends power to the wheel or wheels with the surest footing - and it does so in milliseconds. That means under normal conditions, drive forces are spread out with a rear-wheel bias. But the moment the system senses excessive wheel slip, it subtly shifts torque to meet the changing conditions, offering maximum available traction and superior handling on all surfaces.

Archived