LegacyGT.com

Fatal attraction to 5x98 euro wheels - guess I'll need modded hubs?

mjl

Hi all.

I've always thought Alfa Romeos had the best looking alloy wheels in Europe and possibly the world. Nearly every alloy on the market from other manufacturers is some tiny variation of a star-shaped, spoked design, but the Alfas had great-looking circular cut-outs. However I wanted a car that looked good and also was AWD and well-engineered, so I bought a 2005 Legacy 3.0R. :)

The Subaru's factory alloy rims look quite OK, but I want to put one of these designs on my car, and each type is made for the Alfas with their bizarre 5x98 PCD: http://www.gtaitalianwheels.com/wheels.htm

I have read some dubious accounts of people ramming 5x98 wheels on 5x100 bolts and that setup is not something I would be prepared to do, or knowingly drive on either.

Does anyone have experience with pursuing a passion for obscure wheels to the point of replacing and/or redrilling hubs on a Legacy? Of course I would like to know the costs involved. Given the craziness of the whole project I would be prepared to put a fair bit of money into it, so long as the result was safe and compatible with the physical dimensions of the wheelarch. I'd want to run whatever moderately wide, medium-profile tyre size comes on factory Legacies, at 17" rim diameter.

Hope someone might want to give some input.

-mjl

Archived